Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this is "eggheads" and didn't get much response. I thought moving it here might help...so thanks in advance!
So a few of you may have read my post about Ronin on rainbow bridge. We said a sudden goodbye to him about 3 weeks ago. Neither my husband nor I are ready for new pup BUT we know we will be eventually and that maybe his/her litter has already born at this point. When we lost our first boxer Dante- we waited about 5 weeks before getting Ronin, and he really pulled me out of my grief. We didn't transfer expectations, just love.
Anyway (I digress), Ronin had several common boxer issues; allergies, bilateral CCL injuries, slipped vertebrate, and finally early onset of aggressive liver cancer. On the other hand, Dante was extremely healthy until the age of 5 when he was hit by a car under our dog watcher's care (after explicit instructions to kept leashed). I have never REALLY shopped for a litter- just went to closest, seemingly good "breeder" that had pups available when I wanted one. But, with Ronin's issues I'm looking at things a bit differently.
HOWEVER- I feel there is little to NO way to guarantee the health of any dog- especially a purebreed, and that congenital/genetic issues like predispositions to cancer or heart failure may not be known in the dog's parents before breeding anyway (aside from cardiac birth defects or arrhythmias, HD).
I would appreciate all your thoughts on this: How much does is matter BYB vs. show-line breeder, when all I will want is healthy companion, not a show dog (of course we all have "champion" boxers!) -AND- what can you really tell by price? Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
SO sorry for your loss....It is something that a lot of people dont understand(when we grieve for our lost fur-friends). Be very careful..Hope you find a love....I know it is hard.Please do not jump into a new dog. allow your self to be ready Ask alot of questions, ask for vet papers,to prove the health of the dam/sire. It is very important to know where your pup comes from. Look at different breeders before you pick ur new baby....Sorry so long

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Once you are ready for a new dog I would look into two things: whether you want another puppy or a rescue...

If you go the puppy route I would seriously consider a reputable breeder. They should be testing for most if not all of the genetic issues that come with the boxer breed. They should be testing heart, hips, elbows, eyes; also I know some breeders also test thyroid as well as a genetic test to see if there are any possible genes that would cause any issues. I'm by no means an expert (for the actual breeders on here I apologize if I got any of this wrong :) ) but I beleive this is what you should be looking for. In terms of pricing, you should be able to the distinguish between a BYB and reputable breeder. Because they do so much more testing than BYB's their prices reflect that. I would never support another BYB (I orginally got Bosley from one) again as I've seen what they can do to the breed.

If you decide to rescue, there is obviously no guarantee where the dog came from and what predispositions they have but you would be giving a loving soul a place to call home :) I would contact the local rescues in your area and go from there. A simple google search should be good enough :)

Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
6,980 Posts
Well you have multiple options. You could contact the AKC for a list of breeders in your state or google your local kennel club. If you arent picky about location of breeder you could look out of state or even out of country and import from Canada, UK or Europe. You could even go the rescue route.

Regardless of what route you choose just make sure that you do your homework. If looking at breeders ask what health testing has been done on parents and what is their health guarantee on puppies. You are absolutely right that know one can completely guarantee the health of a puppy BUT I would rather decrease those chances by looking into a breeder who health tests.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for all the advice. I'm interested in puppy mostly because since I lost my other two so early, I just can't imagine going into the relationship with years already lost and the boxer rescues/shelters in my area (KY, IN, IL, OH) seem to only have adults (at least right now). BUT I'm going to keep searching in case some pups turn up. I have also contacted the boxer club in KY and got put in touch with a breeder with pups born on Jan 5th. They're called Bar-K boxers and so far all of our communications have been really good, but I'm taking things slow. I got both Dante and Ro from BYBs I guess, Dante's was great and Ronin's was horrible but both dogs were amazing and all could of ever hoped for, the very best and true "champions" as far as I'm concerned. Thanks guys for the help and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So, I've been looking around for places we may be able to go for our next pup and I'm torn between known breeding/health vs. a rescue option. I found a reputable breeder (Bar-K Boxers) endorsed by the Bluegrass Boxer Club. They had a litter on Jan. 5th (Baberini was the dame), pups for companionship (not breeding/show) are $800. I also found a Boxer Rescue in southern IN who just rescued a breeding pair and pups from a puppy-mill situation (dad and pups pictured below). They are so scrawny at 7wks (underfed and under-loved)! I really want to give one of these pups the home he deserves but I'm nervous about potential health issues...what are your thoughts? Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
oH!!! Tough call. On the one hand you know you want to help out the little ones but on the other you will more than likely have some health issues (due the mill atmosphere they came from). To be honest, do what you think would benefit you. You've already been through losing your pups....and again even with a breeder who health tests there are no gurantees that the dog will be 100% healthy for the entire period of their lives. I dunno. I'm sorry I am absolutely no help lol. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Again my vote is for the rescue pups. They are easy to adopt out so if you want one you better get a move on and get your name on the list. Whichever you chose will be the right one for you. You will know "your" pup when you see it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good points and thanks! The pups are on hold for us until Saturday, so we have a few days to think things through...I already decided I'm going to start doing some volunteer website work for the rescue, which I think will help us feel like, even if we go another route, that we're still helping out!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone want to share thoughts on Bar-K, Barberini, (links in other post) the rescue pups or their sire?
For the rescue pups, the mom (I don't have a pic of yet) I'm told is full-blooded and the male looks it to me too- handsome I think. Both parents are AKC registered- although I know that doesn't mean much. I do want a BOXER, and I although I'd love the pup forever anyway, I'd be a little disappointed if 6mos from now they started to look like a mix. Thoughts to to share. I know there are no shortages of opinion in this forum! haha!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, guys...we have to decide on the rescue pups by tomorrow! Please, ANY other thoughts on them (pics on first page as well as dad) would be great!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've bought puppies from reputable breeders with health tested parents. It's true there are no guarantees. The health tested parents can't guarantee no cancer, heart or accidents. Some heart issues show up later in life, age 5+, most dogs have their puppies at age 2-4. I buy from reputable breeders for temperament because these breeders have a significant investment in their reputation.

A BYB does not make the same investment. I will never buy from a BYB.

I vote for rescue because you have so much love and these puppies deserve it after what they've been through....Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Go for a rescue pup!! They will very likely have some health issues, but that's why they need a committed, experienced and loving owner! If you can afford the extra vet bills (or the monthly payments for pet insurance) then go for one of the pups. They're all cute but I like the third one best.

Until there are none, adopt one!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Gosh…I totally sympathize. Max came from a byb and at a year old, I can not vouch for his longterm health nor his years of life. I have always paid for puppies because I felt more comfortable being able to train them myself.
Over the years I have felt the pain of losing a pet many times. At times, I thought it was a pain to unbearable to relive. In time, I always found my way back to believing that kind of love wasn’t worth living without.
A few months ago, I chose to save a dog because I believed I could. And wow..I can’t even begin to describe what that felt like. I did not feel joy or validation because I was saving his life. In the end, I didn’t. It was not what I gave him or even what he gave me that made it all worth it. It was just knowing that together we made a difference in each others lives.
I regret that I rant and am long winded in what I have to say these days. Feel I should step away until I am in a better state of mind.
You have to do what is right for you. That is the best choice. All I can tell you is from my experience, either choice will someday include the pain of loss. But the LOVE, whether it be days or months or years, when you change a fate…the pain somehow feels different..worth it. I say rescue.. But don’t listen to me..I am mess.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh thanks guys...it's soo hard. I feel like I'm just a bit gun shy, ya know? Marki, your post brought me to tears, you're so right and said it so well. It's really impossible not to go back for more, no matter how painful and bittersweet it will be in the end. Thanks and let everyone know what we decide to do! You guys are great!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts