Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love advise on how to look for a reputable boxer breeder. What makes a good breeder. Our boxer was given to us as a 2 yr old, so I am new to this. Also, if anyone knows of reputable boxer breeders in Wisconsin or in the vicinity...that would help too!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would say health tested parents. Hip/elbow, Hyperthyroid test, Holter monitor for cardiomyopathy, DM dna test.

See what type of history they have as breeders. Look for references. Talk to them. My personal thing is if they are just trying to get you to buy a puppy and they aren't asking questions about your lifestyle, what you are planning to do with the pup.. etc. I would walk away. Because in my mind they don't care about the pups and are just looking for $

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to share our experience with Streamline Boxers. We brought home our 9 week old boxer at the end of December 2019. To be honest, researching to find a reputable boxer breeder was a nerve-wracking experience for myself. I had no idea where to start. So first things first, good old “google” there I went. I found backyard breeders to a few breeder sites, but not a lot of reviews. (This is exactly why I am sharing.) I felt at a loss. I knew I needed to narrow in on the breeders that I liked what I saw on the website/facebook page. At that point, I messaged a few breeders. At the same time, I did the “possible awkward” message to people, who have dogs from the breeder, I could see made a post. This is where without seeing many personal reviews on the site....it allowed me some further info/peace of mind of where I was choosing was a good decision.

Thank you to Joleena! She took the time to answer all my questions as we were trying to find our new baby. Joleena was prompt in her communication and very thorough. She even sent me a couple videos that I had requested. After doing all we could do, we decided to go for it. A 4 1/2 hour drive was ahead. To ease prospective boxer parents minds of what kind of place you are going to come to that is raising your puppy...I was very pleased. It’s a “home!” It was there that I could see the passion and care Joleena has for these pups and those of her own. All the puppies/dogs were clean and looked of great health. I received a great health line of our boxer’s mom and dad, 1st vet record, a couple toys and a little blanket with the litter mates smell to ease the transition.

Now to Toby! He is an awesome boxer. He is as healthy as can be. Full of spunk and a smart little dude. He was learning new commands and picking them up so quickly day two that we had him. I amazed how well he is doing. (Patience in training pays off)

I couldn’t be more blessed than I am. I highly recommend Streamline Boxers! It is worth the drive, no matter how long it would be. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Basically if the puppies you are looking at have parents that have not been health tested just don't do it. You could very well get a healthy dog but the cost emotionally and financially is very high if you don't and heart issues and DM are very common. Ask to see the test results and reports from vets on each of the parents and get explanations to anything you don't understand you will pay more for a health tested dog but it will save you in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
Happy to hear you found a breeder that you clicked and felt at ease with :cheers:

In general, we always recommend that you ask for health testing of both parents (hips/heart/thyroid & DM)

Going to the breeders home prior to placing a deposit is also recommended. That way you can meet the dogs that reside there as well as see the environment they live in. Are there loads of crates or are the dogs a part of the family etc? This also allows the breeder to ask any questions or concerns they may have.

Look for reviews or active social media pages. Feel free to message previous clients that you see posting.

And where is a puppy picture to go with this happy update? Lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would love advise on how to look for a reputable boxer breeder. What makes a good breeder. Our boxer was given to us as a 2 yr old, so I am new to this. Also, if anyone knows of reputable boxer breeders in Wisconsin or in the vicinity...that would help too!
I don't know where you Live my Boxer breeder are located in PA I have my boxer from her second litter, she retired after. Her after her third litter now the breeds has a other female and is pregnant at this time I have Riley she is 4 1/2 yrs no problems at all you can find the breeder on FB there name is savage if you would like to look into it she charges $1500 a pup my last pup I got out of a pet store will never do that again Chloe was a very sickly pup the vet gave her 2 to 3 years to live with the heart condition (it wasn't boxer heart disease, ) we took care of Chloe and babied her so much that she didn't pass until she was nine so with that we've decided to go with The Breeder, here female Mille is now due in March hope this worked out for you The breeder lived on Long Island and decide to move to PA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts