Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. It's been awhile. I haven't been posting as much, but I still lurk so I can keep up with all your fur kids. :)

I'm posting today because we need help. Most of you know that my husband and I rescue senior boxers and boxers needing hospice care. We do this out of our own pockets without financial backing from any boxer rescues.

Our most recent adoptee is a 9-year-old male, Derby, rescued from Louisville Metro Animal Services in Louisville, KY. We didn't have any information on him because he came in as a stray. Unfortunately, in addition to needing a dental, a lump removal, and neutered, he is heartworm positive. We are asking for help with his heartworm treatment because (a) it's REALLY expensive and (b) it allows us to continue the care of our other rescue boxers plus continue to finance other rescue work that we do.

The link is below. Please consider a small donation, if possible. Every little bit helps and it's greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Derby's Heartworm Treatment | Pet Expenses - YouCaring.com

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Hey Cait! so nice to see on the board! I missed seeing you here and hearing about your pack. Donation sent for Derby - he is a nice looking boy! Love his tail

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Cait! so nice to see on the board! I missed seeing you here and hearing about your pack. Donation sent for Derby - he is a nice looking boy! Love his tail
Thank you SO much for the donation! I've been wanting to get pics of the herd and post an update on everyone. Hopefully soon. It's been a busy few months. We lost Honey and Cinnamon near the beginning of the year :( and my daughter's Bat Mitzvah was last month. :) Now she's getting braces and we're wading through getting her enrolled in high school for next year. Where does the time go?

Once we get Derby back up to fighting weight (no angry comments please...we're not really "fighting" him...LOL), we'll post updates of where we are in the treatment process. We're going to treat the HW first, then attend to the rest of his medical. It's going to be a process for the old boy. He's a great dog, though. We hit the jackpot when we adopted him. He fits right in with the rest of the herd and everyone who meets him loves him. ♥

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hey all. It's been awhile. I haven't been posting as much, but I still lurk so I can keep up with all your fur kids. :)

I'm posting today because we need help. Most of you know that my husband and I rescue senior boxers and boxers needing hospice care. We do this out of our own pockets without financial backing from any boxer rescues.

Our most recent adoptee is a 9-year-old male, Derby, rescued from Louisville Metro Animal Services in Louisville, KY. We didn't have any information on him because he came in as a stray. Unfortunately, in addition to needing a dental, a lump removal, and neutered, he is heartworm positive. We are asking for help with his heartworm treatment because (a) it's REALLY expensive and (b) it allows us to continue the care of our other rescue boxers plus continue to finance other rescue work that we do.

The link is below. Please consider a small donation, if possible. Every little bit helps and it's greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Donation sent. I wish it could have been more but you caught me at a lean time. I spread the word on Facebook so hopefully others will contribute.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and tell Derby that's he's a good boy, give him a hug from me and tell him that he is loved.
Thank you, thank you! In just a few short hours, we're halfway to our goal! Every little bit helps and adds up quickly. It truly takes a village sometimes.

When the tornado hit Moore, OK, last year, one of our rescue families lost everything. I took up a collection and raised $2000 for gift cards to help them get back on their feet. Again, the village made that all possible. It's truly amazing the impact we can have when we all work together!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thank you, thank you! In just a few short hours, we're halfway to our goal! Every little bit helps and adds up quickly. It truly takes a village sometimes.

When the tornado hit Moore, OK, last year, one of our rescue families lost everything. I took up a collection and raised $2000 for gift cards to help them get back on their feet. Again, the village made that all possible. It's truly amazing the impact we can have when we all work together!

Yeah I completely agree about it taking a village and even more importantly, knowing that there are good people in the world, like yourselves, who do this wonderful work for Boxers who would otherwise be looking at spending the rest of their lives in misery as older dogs aren't likely to get adopted, unfortunately.

If you still need it, once I know what my situation looks like at the end of the month, I may be able to contribute some more.

Thanks for doing this.

Also Derby is a very handsome Boxer. I looked at the picture and was really impressed with his physique. I also liked the fact that his tail wasn't docked but it probably wasn't docked because of the situation he was in during his life maybe.

Two different thoughts, I prefer un-docked but understand the situation that lead to him not having his tail docked.

Thank you again very much for doing what you do.

·
Registered
812 Posts

How do you put weight on him when he is HW+? Is he not too underweight? Did I understand you are treating his weight first? I am asking cause I'm wondering if I did something wrong for Rosco. Prob you missed my post. HW poison, or being neglected for a long time killed him, not sure which.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you put weight on him when he is HW+? Is he not too underweight? Did I understand you are treating his weight first? I am asking cause I'm wondering if I did something wrong for Rosco. Prob you missed my post. HW poison, or being neglected for a long time killed him, not sure which.
Yes, we are putting weight on him first, which will take about a month or two. His weight loss is most likely caused by his time as a stray plus the hookworms and whipworms. We're treating the worms now and we're feeding him four meals daily. The vet doesn't feel comfortable treating the HW until he's in better physical condition. Once he's gained 8 to 10 pounds, we'll get him through HW treatment then we'll address all the other medical. It's a process.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you to everyone who has so graciously donated so far. We're only $270 away from our goal. Even a $5 or $10 donation helps. It all adds up. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
wish I could help but am in the middle of relocating and cash strapped if you leave the link up I can help in a few months even if it is for one of the others you care for

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good morning all! Wanted to give everyone an update. We are only $105 away from our goal!! Please consider even a small donation. If you can't donate, share the link with other animal lovers who might. We are SO close!!

I am meeting with the vet this afternoon to pick up the initial medication that we will be starting Derby on before his first Immiticide injection. Over the last week, Derby has developed a cough with exercise. Because of this, I don't feel it's in his best interest to wait any longer. He has put on a few pounds--not as much as we'd hoped to begin treatment, but he will be on the medication for a few weeks before receiving his first injection so we're hoping to continue with the weight gain during that time.

Please keep Derby in your prayers over the next two months. Heartworm treatment is always a risk, and Derby's age complicates things a little. We have to keep him absolutely locked down and quiet during this time. Fortunately, he seems to go along with the program without much complaint, but he is a very active boy for his age so keeping him quiet for such an extended period of time will be a challenge.

I will update on his progress as we go. Thank you again for your support! ♥

1 - 17 of 17 Posts