Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to meet a 2.5 yr rescue. We are very excited since we lost our boxer due to renial failure. Our only concern is he came from a bad family who never house broke him. Has anyone trained an older dog to go outside successfully? We have a dog door so we hope this will help him. We hope we can train him he deserves a good home and we can give him that.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would start with a crate and go back to square one, start with a schedule as you would with a puppy, reward good behavior when he does his business outsid. I feel as if a dog door shouldn't be used until his fully trained under your watchful eye... I'm not a huge fan of dog doors to begin with, but I would defiantly hold off on that until you can say his fully house trained... we had great success with bells hung at the door, everytime we would go outside I'd use the word "go busy" and shake the bells, after awhile he caught on and would jingle the bells himself he still uses the bells to this day.

Obviously if hes not been trained in a crate at an older age it may be more challenging for him to get use to a confined area, but most dogs don't like messing in their "den" so I think that's where it can help regardless of age.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I too would go back to square one and crate train him from day 1 to go outside. I did this with a rescue chihuahua. He was never handled and would just cower into a cornier. I used a puppy playpen then later a crate. I put his food n water in there, for week 1 took him out every hour then two hours then 3 and so on. WE worked our way up. I don't trust him still totally but he doesn't mess in his area nor does he potty anymore when he is handled.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i would loose my mind without my doggie door... we got Sam, my oldest boxer then got the doggie door, i have no clue how old he was when we got him, as he was given to my by my neighbor who 'knew someone' with him.. no questions asked since he was in very poor shape when we got him, he had been kept in a crate his entire life (and had the scalding from urine to show for it) he was no trouble to train to go outside, but he was afraid of the dark.. so i had to go outside with him at night for the first few months, but he house trained like a champ after he figured out how to use the door.. we started with walking him outside to go potty, if you have had dogs in the past, you know the signs.. and then started training him to use the door with treats to go in and out.. took all of 2 days for him to figure out he had to go outside via the dog door, and NEVER had an accident in the house.. good luck, and be patient with the new 'pup' it will take some time and understanding on everyone's behalf in this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts