Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share our new rescue family member!

She is an estimated 2 yo Boxer female who was a pound transfer to our local shelter, so her history is unknown.

We have been waiting 2 weeks now for her to process. She is finishing up recent isolation and treatment for kennel cough, and will be spayed Thursday, and then finally join our family!

Her assessment lists her as dog friendly = fantastic! food bowl = fantastic! sociability = shy. handling = shy.

Her shyness is something we have faced severe cases in previous foster dogs so I'm actually looking forward to the reward and bonding that will come with that.

I have visited her about every 3rd day over the last 2 weeks to check in on her and watch her and fall in love more and more every time.

She will join our 9 year old Jack Russell who will show her there is nothing in the world to be afraid of, and he is begging for a friend so we are all beyond excited for her to join our household!

My husband and I have followed and loved Boxer's for 10+ years but between size and restrictions (we are a military family) we found it best to wait. Now is the time and we are set and beyond excited. We will never live without a Jack Russell, and I'm ready to add that Boxer love to my life too!

Wish us well!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
:clap::clap2::clap: Thank your for rescuing! I pulled Jackson from my local shelter a year ago August, b/c he was a senior and had drawn no interest. His time at the shelter was almost up (he was listed as "urgent"), and I couldn't let that happen.

I foster dogs occasionally for a local rescue group, so I knew it was a gamble adopting him. Jackson has fit into our family well, although he has turned out to be large-dog aggressive (I'm assuming it's from fear after being out on the mean streets of a not-nice part of my town). He's fine around little dogs, people, and especially small children. Little girls, like my granddaughter, are his favorite!

I know you will be patient with your new girl, once she's able to come home. It will probably take her quite awhile to learn to trust and relax. Just don't rush it, and let her take her time settling in.

Have you decided on a name yet for your new girl? Please keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Awh! So happy to know she'll be in a loving home... She sounds like she might have won the lottery with you! Congrats, can't wait to hear more and how she's doing...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Congratulations!

I adopted my 2 yr old girl from the pound when she was 7 months old. She is such a love and has a huge personality. She's also my first boxer.

Prepare yourself for her energy - boxers live to play! :hrtbounce:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:clap::clap2::clap: Thank your for rescuing! I pulled Jackson from my local shelter a year ago August, b/c he was a senior and had drawn no interest. His time at the shelter was almost up (he was listed as "urgent"), and I couldn't let that happen.

I foster dogs occasionally for a local rescue group, so I knew it was a gamble adopting him. Jackson has fit into our family well, although he has turned out to be large-dog aggressive (I'm assuming it's from fear after being out on the mean streets of a not-nice part of my town). He's fine around little dogs, people, and especially small children. Little girls, like my granddaughter, are his favorite!

I know you will be patient with your new girl, once she's able to come home. It will probably take her quite awhile to learn to trust and relax. Just don't rush it, and let her take her time settling in.

Have you decided on a name yet for your new girl? Please keep us updated!
Thanks Beth! We too did foster care while we lived in Alaska. One of our fosters was a very, very shy rejected sled dog who was especially afraid of men. The day she decided to warm up to my husband you'd think he was just asked out on a date by a Victoria's Secret model he was so excited to be accepted!

We've decided to name her "Snotra" (Norse goddess of wisdom) - odd name I know, but there's a lot of back story to the name. :) Her call name will be "Ottie".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't wait for her to join our family! We raised our 9 year old Jack Russell from a pup so we are trained in living with that pooch who will not allow you to sit still! Our JRT is actually a large part of our motivation. He clearly wants/needs a companion, and we need some motivation to stay active so after years of consideration, now is the time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts