Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Guido wasn't rescued from a shelter, but we did rescue him from getting put down by his previous owners. We received a call one day from a friend and he asked us if we wanted another boxer. His girlfriend's parents had a boxer named Guido Luigi that they were going to put down for behavioral reasons. A few days earlier he was playing with a toy and their daughter got on the floor, stuck her face in his, and she got nipped on the lip. That was their main reason for giving him up. They kept him in his crate for 10 hours a day while they worked and he even slept in his crate at night. They gave him human prescriptions to knock him out when company came over so he wouldn't bark.

I was surprised that their vet, who specializes in Boxers, agreed to put him down. Even though Guido had nipped at a couple of people, none of them were serious and none were his fault. Guido isn't neutered and most vets recommend getting the dog fixed to help with aggression issues. He was a little rough when we got him, but he was great after the 2nd day. He adjusted really well and we haven't had any problems with him. He gets a lot of exercise and we are socializing him more.

I don't think that a few small issues were a reason to put him down. I don't think I could have lived with myself knowing that a perfectly good dog didn't get another chance. He's great and I am glad we got him. I don't think he's ever been so spoiled!!

Attachments

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What a wonderful ending to a terrible story! Everytime I hear a story like that, it really gets me upset...Guido sounds like such a sweetheart and all he needed was some attention and love...Bless you for taking him in and glad that he is doing so well

·
Registered
627 Posts
That is such a sad story.  That's a great thing you did by rescuing him.  At least he has a good home now and the loving attention he deserves.

·
Registered
780 Posts
So glad you were able to save him.  He is such a beautiful looking guy!  Some people just don't understand the boxer breed and think that shoving them in a cage all day and night is okay.  Stupid people should not be allowed to have pets!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am surprised that any vet would be willing to put down a dog even though it nipped.  I think they would at least contact a rescue to see if they could rehabiltate him.  So glad you were able to rescue him.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thats wonderful that you rescued him.. He's absolutely gorgeous and you were lucky to find such a handsome boy!

You'd be surprised how many vets put down for nipping and biting. It's a liability to owners if the wrong people find out and you can get into A LOT of trouble.. Possible fines.. Muzzles.. etc.

eta - what i think most vets should do is if they have breeders or knowledgable owners who come to them and a situation like this happens, they should contact those people to assess the dogs. cuz shelters wouldn't help in that situation..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts