Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a Boxer Rescue, and have been approved, but no dogs available. We get notices on Pet Finders about Boxer mixes, and did a sleepover with a 6-yo who had really no resemblance to a Boxer in facial expression, or butt wiggle. We had our vet look at the prospective Boxer mix, and she said that if a dog that might be more of a Pit Bull advertises that they are a Boxer mix they have a much better chance of being adopted. The rescues that don't claim they're a Boxer mix don't get adopted.

How do you sort this out? I think somebody mentioned that you could always do a DNA test after you adopt the dog. I grew up with Boxers, and have raised three from puppies. Maybe I should just find another breed.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
It is hard to find a real Boxer in rescues they do call pit bulls Boxers because pitbulls are a dime a dozen and hard to adopt. Our local shelters are busting with pitbulls. Sometimes breeders have dogs they are retiring but keep searching one may turn up.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Oh man I'm sorry. I'm a hard fan of the Boxer/Pit myself because ... it's thru the Boxer/Pit that I found Boxers! Almost the same but not quite? And when I lost my first Boxer/Mix in an accident. :(

I was desperate to recapture what I had? And in as much as my other dawg was a "Band Dawg," and thus part APBT? I knew it was not that? So maybe it was "Boxer?" And yep that was it, my first Pit/Boxer led me to me my first "Full Boxer, Struddell.And yep that was it! Stewie was like a "muted," Boxer, as it were? Brillent freaking dog "Easy to train, if I could think it ... he could do it! Struddell, for awhile LOL, not so much?

She was much more interested in what made her happy rather that what I wanted? But we got pass that, eventually and she turned out to be a great (while goofy dog!) :)

At any rate a Boxer/Pit is similar, but different than a PB Boxer. Most traits are the same but some traits are different. Liking "people," is usually not a big deal for either breed.

And I will say PB American Pit Bull Terrier, because a "Pit Bull," is a "type of dog,'' and not really a "Breed?" But whatever. But between a Boxer/Pit and a Boxer?" I would have to say the Pit/Boxer "could tend to have more of an "issue," with unknown dog's? As opposed to the Boxer? Which as a "rule," does not tend to have issues with other dog's.

Anyway ( Boxer) Rescues are pretty much gonna label any "medium sized," Pit/Boxer mix as a "Boxer?" Especially if they are "Brindle!" Pure Breed Rescues, number one job is to save dogs. If a given dog looks (Close enough) then or act's like a (given Breed) Boxer in this case ... then they will (often label it as such.) That's just a given.

Boxer/Pit although not a "Breed." Are so uniform in appearance in behaviour ... that they could be? My Bella is one, I tend to accurately describe her as a "Boxer/Pit!" And it they pretty much tend to have a consistent look, like this.:
Dog Collar Carnivore Dog breed Picture frame

Obviously (to me) she is not a PB Boxer? But I have gotten into ... disagreements with folks, who swear ... "I have had several Boxers, and she "acts/looks"just like her! Sigh ... I let it go. But I know "obviously," she is "not a Boxer!"

But when we looked to go get her, she was described and recommend by our friends (who had owned Boxers) as a Boxer?? I was kinda ... ticked off! Cuz clearly "she was not a Boxer?" But sigh, she was a "Dog in need of a New Home, and my wife fell in luv at first sight." And a girl at that??

Well my plan was we'll take her, I'll contact my "Rescue and Rehome her?" But my wife ...yeah that is not gonna happen! So now (5 years ago?) I can't get my next Boxer girl ...

At any rate an actual Boxer? You really don't need a "DNA," test? All you have to do is look at them? The "Boxer head, just does not seem to pass on? The size shape and behaviour and behaviour do pass on but not the "Boxer Head?"

Now if one likes the "Boxer Head," and well maybe choose, another breed cuz, I can't find a Boxer? Well there is another such? A "Johnson type "American BullDog!" Now I will grant you'll have to "add," about 50 lbs? And get into the is a "Johnson type a real "American Bull?" Near as I can tell ... if you had a "Boxer?" You'd be comfortable with a "Johnson." :)

But really I don't think a Johnson, American Bull Dog, would be any easier to find than a "Boxer?" But if you are close to "Texas?" It does seem that for whatever reason ... "Texas," seems to have a ton of actual Boxers that need homes? I could guess as to why that is. But it would be nothing kind so I won't speculate. :)

Where I am in NV, there are no "boxers listed?" And the Boxer Rescue, I worked at many years ago is now closed down? Boxers are out here, and I see them occasion but few and far between. And not many out here are giving there Boxers up ... and that is a good thing. :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Looking for a Boxer Rescue, and have been approved, but no dogs available. We get notices on Pet Finders about Boxer mixes, and did a sleepover with a 6-yo who had really no resemblance to a Boxer in facial expression, or butt wiggle. We had our vet look at the prospective Boxer mix, and she said that if a dog that might be more of a Pit Bull advertises that they are a Boxer mix they have a much better chance of being adopted. The rescues that don't claim they're a Boxer mix don't get adopted.

How do you sort this out? I think somebody mentioned that you could always do a DNA test after you adopt the dog. I grew up with Boxers, and have raised three from puppies. Maybe I should just find another breed.
Yeah, not many purebred boxers out there for rescue, which is actually a really good thing. Stinks for people like yourself though that are looking for one.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Like Matt said about there being fewer Boxers needing rescue I am hoping it just means breeders are doing more screening on who gets their dogs and some even require the dogs be returned to them via contract

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man I'm sorry. I'm a hard fan of the Boxer/Pit myself because ... it's thru the Boxer/Pit that I found Boxers! Almost the same but not quite? And when I lost my first Boxer/Mix in an accident. :(

I was desperate to recapture what I had? And in as much as my other dawg was a "Band Dawg," and thus part APBT? I knew it was not that? So maybe it was "Boxer?" And yep that was it, my first Pit/Boxer led me to me my first "Full Boxer, Struddell.And yep that was it! Stewie was like a "muted," Boxer, as it were? Brillent freaking dog "Easy to train, if I could think it ... he could do it! Struddell, for awhile LOL, not so much?

She was much more interested in what made her happy rather that what I wanted? But we got pass that, eventually and she turned out to be a great (while goofy dog!) :)

At any rate a Boxer/Pit is similar, but different than a PB Boxer. Most traits are the same but some traits are different. Liking "people," is usually not a big deal for either breed.

And I will say PB American Pit Bull Terrier, because a "Pit Bull," is a "type of dog,'' and not really a "Breed?" But whatever. But between a Boxer/Pit and a Boxer?" I would have to say the Pit/Boxer "could tend to have more of an "issue," with unknown dog's? As opposed to the Boxer? Which as a "rule," does not tend to have issues with other dog's.

Anyway ( Boxer) Rescues are pretty much gonna label any "medium sized," Pit/Boxer mix as a "Boxer?" Especially if they are "Brindle!" Pure Breed Rescues, number one job is to save dogs. If a given dog looks (Close enough) then or act's like a (given Breed) Boxer in this case ... then they will (often label it as such.) That's just a given.

Boxer/Pit although not a "Breed." Are so uniform in appearance in behaviour ... that they could be? My Bella is one, I tend to accurately describe her as a "Boxer/Pit!" And it they pretty much tend to have a consistent look, like this.:
View attachment 137063

Obviously (to me) she is not a PB Boxer? But I have gotten into ... disagreements with folks, who swear ... "I have had several Boxers, and she "acts/looks"just like her! Sigh ... I let it go. But I know "obviously," she is "not a Boxer!"

But when we looked to go get her, she was described and recommend by our friends (who had owned Boxers) as a Boxer?? I was kinda ... ticked off! Cuz clearly "she was not a Boxer?" But sigh, she was a "Dog in need of a New Home, and my wife fell in luv at first sight." And a girl at that??

Well my plan was we'll take her, I'll contact my "Rescue and Rehome her?" But my wife ...yeah that is not gonna happen! So now (5 years ago?) I can't get my next Boxer girl ...

At any rate an actual Boxer? You really don't need a "DNA," test? All you have to do is look at them? The "Boxer head, just does not seem to pass on? The size shape and behaviour and behaviour do pass on but not the "Boxer Head?"

Now if one likes the "Boxer Head," and well maybe choose, another breed cuz, I can't find a Boxer? Well there is another such? A "Johnson type "American BullDog!" Now I will grant you'll have to "add," about 50 lbs? And get into the is a "Johnson type a real "American Bull?" Near as I can tell ... if you had a "Boxer?" You'd be comfortable with a "Johnson." :)

But really I don't think a Johnson, American Bull Dog, would be any easier to find than a "Boxer?" But if you are close to "Texas?" It does seem that for whatever reason ... "Texas," seems to have a ton of actual Boxers that need homes? I could guess as to why that is. But it would be nothing kind so I won't speculate. :)

Where I am in NV, there are no "boxers listed?" And the Boxer Rescue, I worked at many years ago is now closed down? Boxers are out here, and I see them occasion but few and far between. And not many out here are giving there Boxers up ... and that is a good thing. :)

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your thoughts Chip. The sweet 6-year old Boxer mix we had a sleep-over with looked very much like your picture. She was so smart, but very straight faced. Maybe that's more of the pit in the breed. It's hard when a dog has no history coming along with it. We have lots of Bark Box toys that were left over from our Boxer family. This rescue girl looked at them with joy, and proceeded to rip even the most sturdy of them apart. I've never seen such a set of teeth on a dog, and I'm afraid of German Shepherds because of their big teeth. In the middle of the night I could feel she'd curled herself around back, and was sleeping soundly. It was so wonderful to have a dog that close after a few months without a dog. I was bitten in the face as a kid. I feel so silly to admit I was afraid of her teeth.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I’m sorry you went thru that as a kid. Just because she’s a pit bull mix does not mean she would be a bite risk. Having said that I think some of these rescues underplay what those dogs are capable of and pitbiulls are not suited for everyone. Some backyard bred Boxers can have a very bad temperament as well. Maybe you should consider a smaller breed?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts Chip. The sweet 6-year old Boxer mix we had a sleep-over with looked very much like your picture. She was so smart, but very straight faced. Maybe that's more of the pit in the breed. It's hard when a dog has no history coming along with it. We have lots of Bark Box toys that were left over from our Boxer family. This rescue girl looked at them with joy, and proceeded to rip even the most sturdy of them apart. I've never seen such a set of teeth on a dog, and I'm afraid of German Shepherds because of their big teeth. In the middle of the night I could feel she'd curled herself around back, and was sleeping soundly. It was so wonderful to have a dog that close after a few months without a dog. I was bitten in the face as a kid. I feel so silly to admit I was afraid of her teeth.
I think when you take in some rescues is normal to have some fear of those big teeth but you can't let it show. Now I have found rescue dogs to be most loyal to their new owners, it is like they have some switch in their head that says thank you. I also think there is a difference in a rehome and a rescue, perhaps the rehome has some known background. Sometimes people just regime their dog because they have a new baby, travel or move to an apartment and they have a very good dog. Here we have a boxer rescue and they are usually a few available. Mostly seniors when families decide they want a puppy and discard a perfectly well mannered trained dog. Or a dog that need to be in a home as a only dog, many times its a female boxer when they get a new puppy it reaches adolescents and they realize the 2 females don't get along. It kinda a toss up of which one goes. I would reach out to several breeders and let them know you are looking for an older trained dog. Sometimes breeders, especially reputable ones take back their dogs when the original owner can no longer care for them. I think you will find that special friend and if you expand your area maybe it will be sooner. About a year ago one of the neighbors we pet sit for, a boxer told us of a friend of his that wanted to place his young boxer in a new home, they recently had job changes etc. the usual blah blah blah, but we were not in a position to take it at that time.So they are out there just get the word out wherever possible.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m sorry you went thru that as a kid. Just because she’s a pit bull mix does not mean she would be a bite risk. Having said that I think some of these rescues underplay what those dogs are capable of and pitbiulls are not suited for everyone. Some backyard bred Boxers can have a very bad temperament as well. Maybe you should consider a smaller breed?
The mixes are probably more healthy. I was surprised to hear that rescues would be classified as Boxer mixes. Any dog that was neglected, or harshly disciplined has the possibility of biting. I think it's especially true if they've never been in a home where they are loved. It's unlikely I'd find out the history of any dog that age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts