Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

My fiance and I have always wanted a Boxer, we want to rescue a boxer pup. We are waiting until we can move out of our apartment into a house. I also run a retail store, and I wanted to know if boxers are good store animals? I know that is phrased weird, but basically I want to know if over time the puppy will become aclamaited with the store, and wont bark everytime the bell sounds when people walk by the sensor to the store. I know they can be high energy and I dont want him to scare away customers. Ive seen several dogs in stores and most people seem to love them. They just happen to be poodles, or cockers, i havent seen boxers yet. I dont see the point in getting a puppy and then leaving him alone all day until i get home from work.  We are hoping to get one in a month or so ( as soon as the weather warms in Pennsylvania) I would like to train him on the basics before even bring him in the store. Any thoughts? Im sure Ill pop up around getting advice on everything. I tend to over research things.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
We have a one year old fawn female (Maggie) and this weekend we are getting a flashy fawn male puppy.  My cousin also has a two year old brindle male.  Based on what I have seen, barking will probably not be an issue but boxer puppies are highly curious and like to explore everything in sight.  Also they are very active.  They are very social dogs in general.  Maggie seems to like to meet new people.  

So basically the pros are that (1) they are friendly and (2) they tend not to bark much and the cons are (1) they will want to explore every inch of that store and may find trouble and (2) due to their energy level they may rough up some stuff or jump on people (in friendly way).

It can probably be done with a puppy but you may look at a slightly older boxer (2-3) to lessen the mischeviousness.  I hope this ramble helps.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hi there and welcome..My Samson is 10 yrs old, but when I adopted him 4 yrs ago, he went to work with me everyday...I think you might do better with a somewhat older boxer, but that isn't a guaranty that you wouldn't have issues. I was fortunate as Samson is rather laid back for a boxer, now Angel my 18 mo old is just the opposite.....

I applaud the fact that you don't want to leave you boxer at home. Boxers are very social and you very well can train yours to do very well.I liked the company Samson provided me while I was alone in the showroom. .Get a nice soft comfy bed that can be tucked in an out of the way place for him/her :) A strong leash and a crate also....

Keep us posted on what you decide

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies Im a little weary of getting a newborn puppy, I know they can be very hyper, and it will be interesting to see if I can get him to distinguish between play time and "work time" Perhaps i shouldnt treat my puppy like a 2 year old human, but im very anxious about my business and negleting my dog. I may have to rescue a little older boxer in order to keep him in the store. Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, not to make this my personal message center or anything but where in PA are you?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
KIEFER\";p=\"4206 said:
Thanks for your replies Im a little weary of getting a newborn puppy, I know they can be very hyper, and it will be interesting to see if I can get him to distinguish between play time and "work time" Perhaps i shouldnt treat my puppy like a 2 year old human, but im very anxious about my business and negleting my dog. I may have to rescue a little older boxer in order to keep him in the store. Ill keep you posted.
you'll find hyperactivity with a boxer of basically any age.  its just the degree of hyperactivity.  

Maggie is super super super hyper, and she is 2 1/2 yrs old... Jessie is much less hyper as you can see by my sig... Jessie at 9 months needed to lay down... and Maggs was still raring to go...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh you cannot miss out on the wonderfull stages of puppyhood though, they are the cutest then! And they really bond with you through the process, it is so hard, but so worth it!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really want a puppy, I called a couple shelters today, and they said they rarely get puppies in, because people breed their boxers and sell the puppies. I really want to rescue versus buy a puppy, so we will shall see...btw JessiesMom your boxers are very cute!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
KIEFER\";p=\"4432 said:
I really want a puppy, I called a couple shelters today, and they said they rarely get puppies in, because people breed their boxers and sell the puppies. I really want to rescue versus buy a puppy, so we will shall see...btw JessiesMom your boxers are very cute!

thanks... Maggie is my sisters... Jessie, obviously, is mine...

but all boxers are cute...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I agree with what Hightechboxer said, there is nothing like raising a boxer from a apuppy, but boy they are work. Add into that the fact that boxers are puppies til they turn 3..Some never do calm down, my Buck certainly didn't..Tia was more mellow and Samson is totally laid back. Angel I don't about, she's only 18 mos, so we shall see....

Most rescues don't get puppies. If they do, they get snapped up really fast...The best  thing to do is stay in constant contact with them so you will know when they get any new arrivals. You may luck out..I hope you do, but don't rule out a little bit older dog also..I know the shelters get a lot of young adults in.....Keep us posted  :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
I had the same dilemma there very recently - really really wanted to rescue a Boxer, but really really REALLY wanted a puppy.  I ended up buying a puppy but have decided to donate an amount equivalent to his purchase price to our local SPCA next month too (after I get paid, ha ha!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts