Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Revolution (Flea Tick Heartworm)

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  sharonL 
#1 ·
We had someone come in yesterday with a lab that was having a mild cough off and on...but nothing else wrong plenty of energy eating and drinking etc.....

#2 ·
Excellent info Sharon! I have to say I've been using Revolution for over 7 years now, and I really do love the product. I do switch that with the heartguard when I take Maddie off of Revolution for the winter. I use "Flea Free" in the winter months to protect against fleas and the heartguard to protect against the heartworm. I always wonder how to apply Revolution, because the directions do say to part the hair and apply directly to the skin. Well, I have tried several ways to part maddies hair and it just can't be done, so every month I pretty much try to touch the applicator tip to her skin, but most of it just goes on her hair. I used my last dose the first of this month and I think I'm just going to continue on the heartguard and Flea Free. If I see a flea I'll use the frontline, but hopefully the flea free will take care of that. I also hear things like the fleas are becoming immune to these products such as frontline, and they aren't as effective anymore. What are your thoughts on that?
Thanks again for the great info!

#3 ·
Thanks for the info Sharon, and I have to correct something I said in an earlier post.  Sophie and Kane are on Interceptor and in another post I said their vet stopped it in the winter months, but I was wrong.  They take a pill every month until February - which is definitely wintertime here.   Sorry for my mistake - I made an assumption that was wrong.  I like the Interceptor because it's pill form and no fuss no muss.

#4 ·
I use Interceptor also and really like it, I also use Frontline for fleas and ticks (which are really starting to get bad here).  Kiah had her pill the beginning of Nov and probably won't give her one again until March (depends on the weather).  Not sure about Frontline because of ticks, not sure if freezing weather gets rid of them.  Anyone know?

#8 ·
I also believe it was Sharon that mentioned awhile back that it's a good idea to switch out what you use..Like 6 mos on one and 6 on another..They do get immune to the stuff apparently

#9 ·
I have Heartgard chewables for heartworm, those are easy and Oggie eats them right away.

But I have the Advantix for flea/tick, and you have to lift up the hair and apply the stuff to the skin.  What a mess!  Even with the short hair of a boxer, the stuff gets all over his hair.  He is seriously greasy for an entire day.  It gets all over the house, my clothing, everywhere.  I apply it directly to the skin but it still gets all over his back.  And if he goes to sit down, it drips down his back.  The vet supposedly gave him an oral for flea/tick so I don't know why I need this stuff, but theres gotta be a better way.

#10 ·
we use frontline plus and heartguard...THANK YOU so much Sharon..we were talking about trying the mix of the 3..im glad you said that..we will stick with what works..

SULLY...i can not stress to you enough about lyme disease where you are..ITS AWEFUL!!!..there was a study done when i was there..it was i think 2004..easton town hall has the results..it was awful...there were as many as 100 plus dogs that were positive with the disease that were proven to be ON flea & tick meds year round...which also covers mosquitos...i know they were spraying even the schools..but i know that my golden was one of the ones that GOT IT even being on constant prevention..there is a shot that Lloyds ( & many others)offers for it..get it ..its worth it..can never be too careful...my dog ended up fine but if we hadnt caught it ..boy oh boy could have been terrible..

thanks again sharon..:)

#12 ·
Thanks for the info, Sharon...I have a question...am I correct in thinking it depends on where you live? I was told when Mic and Indy were little that we didn't have heartworm issues in this state...since then, I have wondered many times if that were accurate, how I tell and if it would be best to have them on something regardless just to be safe...obviously interceptor would be a good way to go!  

We sure appreciate your willingness to share info!

:)

#13 ·
[quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"47106":8etrjc3y]I use Interceptor also and really like it, I also use Frontline for fleas and ticks (which are really starting to get bad here).

#14 ·
[quote="sumyasmom\";p=\"47217":16snw7fs][quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"47106":16snw7fs]I use Interceptor also and really like it, I also use Frontline for fleas and ticks (which are really starting to get bad here).

#15 ·
tootsie\";p=\"47046 said:
I also hear things like the fleas are becoming immune to these products such as frontline, and they aren't as effective anymore. What are your thoughts on that?
Thanks again for the great info!
If you read the vet magazines or ask the people who make the products they will say and tell you No they do not become immune.

#16 ·
[quote="JeanenesBoogerBabies\";p=\"47187":31x1vzwt]Thanks for the info, Sharon...I have a question...am I correct in thinking it depends on where you live? I was told when Mic and Indy were little that we didn't have heartworm issues in this state...since then, I have wondered many times if that were accurate, how I tell and if it would be best to have them on something regardless just to be safe...obviously interceptor would be a good way to go!

#18 ·
Ticks will feed as long as the weather is above freezing and even if it is freezing they are still out there, waiting for a warm weather snap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.