Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at the vet picking up Nita I decided i better pick up heartworm meds for her so I didn't have to make another trip.  I asked about Revolution because I like the idea of 1 med to cover all things....heartworm, fleas, ear mites, mange, hookworm, roundworm and ticks.  They told me they only use revolution for cats but they recommend Iverhart for dogs and a new product along the lines of frontline for fleas and ticks.  

Has anyone heard anything about revolution not working as well for dogs as it does for cats?  The way they made it seem was that they didn't care for the way revolution works on dogs.  Has anyone heard anything about it?

:?:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use it on Tessie and my mom uses it on her 2 dogs. Neither of us has had any problems with anything. Our vet highly reccomends that one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My mother-in-law's Rottie was on Revolution for a few years.  He got heartworms and Pfizer paid for the treatment after being shown the health records where she bought 6 month packs twice a year, no questions asked.  This led me to believe that they were aware that there was a problem with their product otherwise they would have denied her claim.  Our dogs are on Heartgard, which is only for HW's and a couple of intestinal worms, no fleas or ticks.  (the Rottie was put on Heartgard before his treatment because it was the only one safe for a dog that is already infected)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
IMO Revolution is a good product as long as it is used correctly.....It is true that there have been dogs tested positive for heartworms while on Revolution and if you can prove you bought the product without a gap that the company who makes it Pfizer will pay for the treatment.  It is also true that there have been cases of dogs testing positive for heartworms and taking Heartgard and again with proof of purchase without gaps Merial the makers of Heartgard will pay for the treatment. Keep in mind all these products will say 97-98-99% effective.  Just like birth control pills for humans...there is always that 1 to 3 % chance.  

First, is an understanding of how heartworm medications work. They do not prevent them from getting a bite from a skeeter and being infected with larvae .  It enters the dog's body through the mosquito bite, and they continue to develop over the next few months. They migrate through the dog's tissues, eventually reaching the heart and lungs. Once in the dog's heart, the worms may grow to between 7 and 11 inches in length and can cause significant damage to the heart and lungs. If left untreated, heartworm disease may result in death. The life cycle of the heartworm is approximately 6 months........Heartworm preventative "prevents" this cycle.

Back to Revolution:  What I have seen in most cases is that the product is not used correctly.  (Not always the case)   It has to be placed on the skin and alot of times people are getting some on the skin and most on the hair.  You can not give a bath 2 days before or after it is applied (swimming etc/no water), you can not let your dog roll on its back when first applied because it will take the medicine back off, you can not use the tip on the application tube or your finger to spread the medicine for the same reason.

So, IMO it works well for short hair dogs, dogs that can be supervised when it is first placed on and about 30 minutes after to make sure there is no rolling, and dogs that are not given a bath real frequent and are not in ponds/lakes/rivers/the beach swimming all the time.

Now......having said all that.....I prefer for Fiona to take her heartworm medicine internal, she rolls if she is wet in any way or rubs along the edge of the couch.... which means I want it to go in her mouth, so i use a different product.  I did however use Revolution on my lab from the time it hit the market until my dog passed at 13 years old without problem.....

Hope that helps................

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Heartgard is the only one safe for a dog that is already infected

Injectible or Oral Ivermectin is also safe is used in the correct dosage

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! :D  I got Iverhart for her.

My other question about heartworm meds is about using it all 12mos in a cold climate like WI or just April to Nov.  I am going the April to Nov route.  My vet tests every year even if they are on 12mos year round.  Is there any studies done on the 2 different methods?  Is it worth spending the extra for the other 4mos?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would go year round just because we've had to go through the treatment with Louie.  To me it is just to big a risk even if it did get really cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts