Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post on any forum but I’m completely lost. I had a boxer puppy (to me he will forever be a pup) since I was 16 (2011). He passed away Feb 28 2021 so randomly. He was very active and healthy all until about an hour before he died. Around 10.30 pm he went to sleep and randomly woke up and went to my dads room, dad woke up and placed him back into his room (we have a section excluded for him). Sister came down after 30 mins and realized he had his tongue out and thought he was out. He was let in the back yard and I watched my surveillance and he walked very slow and was taking multiple breaks. His tongue still out he laid on top of a snow bank in my back yard (Canadian weather) Which was very unusual. My sister went inside to get my dad because he was being weird, dad comes outside to bring him back in and he walked up to my dad and collapsed. My dad than helps him up a bit and he takes a few more steps towards our house entrance but collapsed. My dad Begins to try to pick up him (90lbs) and my sister grabs me. I quickly get him in the house and see his isn’t responsive, but still breathing. His eyes open but head not moving and tongue still out. I tried to splash some water into the side of his mouth to see if it would help using my fingers but he bit me for the first time (very hard). This caused a bit of commotion and my other and last sibling comes running down. As soon as she is in the same room (completing my family) Rex tried to get up and even lift his head and front legs. He stared at all of us for a brief second and collapsed. I quickly tried to get him to the car with the help of my sister but he passed away right when he was placed in the car. Not know he was dead and still having hope rushed him to a nearby vet (20 mins away) where they advised he passed away. They advised he passed away from stomach twist (bloat aka GVD). I couldn’t believe it, my best friend had passed away in front of me so randomly and suddenly. He was healthy as could be and it doesn’t make sense. 5 days since he passed and I’m lost and so alone as I don’t remember life without him. The house feels completely empty as his presence brought our household together. I’m so upset and don’t know what to do. He was full of so much life and he had no health issues at all. I still can’t come to terms with this. Please help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m so sad to hear this happened to your dog. I lost my dog he was a Great Dane to the same thing 3 months ago. I didn’t even know that he had this condition it happened so quickly. By the time I found him he was taking his last breath. He was 7 years old. His tongue was out and he had a lot of slobber near his face he couldn’t walk. I tried to pick him up but he was too heavy for me and he passed away at home. It is so sad but we gave him the best life and provided for him that is why he had so much love for us

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a German sheppard that passed away 2 weeks ago he was not sick we took him to the vet he probably survived 20 minutes before he passed there. The vet was not able to confirm what he passed away from. They said it could have been a stroke or gvd was also possible. I felt hopeless. My dog was only 6 years old. He was the happiest and friendliest dog. I didn’t understand what was going on it happened so fast. But I realized one thing I didn’t want him in pain it was instant and he did not suffer. I couldn’t imagine the people who have to put there dogs go through that is probably harder. He will always be remembered but we gave him a home and he was thankful and so were we. I wished I had more time with him but I don’t want him to suffer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss! I was just thinking about my boxer I lost at 8 years old to the same thing. We didn’t have any problems with his health up until the day he passed away. He was very energetic and playful for his whole life and seemed very healthy but one day he lay down and wouldn’t get up. My mom is a nurse so I asked her to come check on him. We went to the vet and he said that there was nothing we could do to help. There was a surgery but he would not make it. He eventually passed away the same day. Rex looks like he lived a very happy life with you and you loved him a lot. I remember sticking mine in my clothes at first too. Their cute little bone heads are irresistible. Dogs leave us with a lifetime of memories and we’re so very lucky to have them. Sharing stories and pictures of him will help. He will always live on in your heart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m so sad to hear this happened to your dog. I lost my dog he was a Great Dane to the same thing 3 months ago. I didn’t even know that he had this condition it happened so quickly. By the time I found him he was taking his last breath. He was 7 years old. His tongue was out and he had a lot of slobber near his face he couldn’t walk. I tried to pick him up but he was too heavy for me and he passed away at home. It is so sad but we gave him the best life and provided for him that is why he had so much love for us
Hey, I really appreciate your response. My deepest condolence to you and your loved ones. I hope and I pray for you and your dog! I wish this on no one and sometimes I feel dog should have the life span of humans as they are so innocent. I hope you are doing ok and I really hope we meet our fur buddies again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a German sheppard that passed away 2 weeks ago he was not sick we took him to the vet he probably survived 20 minutes before he passed there. The vet was not able to confirm what he passed away from. They said it could have been a stroke or gvd was also possible. I felt hopeless. My dog was only 6 years old. He was the happiest and friendliest dog. I didn’t understand what was going on it happened so fast. But I realized one thing I didn’t want him in pain it was instant and he did not suffer. I couldn’t imagine the people who have to put there dogs go through that is probably harder. He will always be remembered but we gave him a home and he was thankful and so were we. I wished I had more time with him but I don’t want him to suffer
Very sorry for your loss. The “all of a sudden” is what kills me and also helps me as I know he didn’t face any hardship or pain. My deepest condolences to you and your loved ones 🙏

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for your loss I felt lost for a long time too. I lost my dog just over 5 weeks ago. I had a Bernese mount dog she had the exact symptoms u described she passed away at home we took her to visit the doc a month before her passing but she was healthy we did regular check ups for her. I was told she had a lot of air build up in her. It was so hard to deal with and it was hard adjusting again but it gets easier with time not that you forget but I started to cherish the memories I made with her. I used to just dwell in bed for so long it was the hardest thing. I hope your okay. This forum helps a lot. with time it will begin to ease and you will begin to start seeing the good memories again. It was hard for me at first but I got to the place where I valued my moments with her and I was glad to know I was apart of the reason she lived a happy life.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am so sorry you lost your dog this way that is really terrible I remember I lost a German Shepherd to this and I was very young then it was very traumatic so now with my Boxers I am vigilant on their diets and activity before and after feedings. This comes on pretty suddenly and affects a great many breeds of dogs. I am so sorry this happed.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Very sorry to hear of our loss.

Bloat can come on very quickly and there is little time for intervention. We also lost our boxer this past year. Almost already 1 year he is gone and my heart is still broken. He died of a brain stem tumor. It too happened rather quickly and he was only 5 1/2 years old. Just in the prime of his life. My sincere condolences.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry it happened under these circumstances (my first post here was on rainbow bridge after losing our Fawn Boxer Diesel to Liver cancer at 6 years old). Just so you know you have come to the right place. Most everyone here has been through this and had to deal with the "Boxer" sized hole in our hearts and we understand the immense loss. I don't have any great advice for you unfortunately, On March 10 it will be 2 years and some days it feels like it happened last week. As time goes on you might think about putting together a document with photos and write down everything you can remember (funny and naughty) about Rex Mundi, it will be hard to do but you will be glad you did it as the years go by. Hang in there, you have lots of support here, feel free to reach out.
Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s been exactly a month since Rex passed away. I thought things would get easier but, it seems to get more difficult. I catch my self randomly waking up (haven’t slept properly since) and breaking down. It’s almost the summer and that’s when he comes in mind the most as I have the best memorize in the summer running in the field when we were both younger. For some reason I get jealous when I see other dogs. Hope I see him soon, so much I should have done and said to him while he was here. I owe him more than I could ever give.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey there, so sorry to hear that things are not going so great. I don't think it will help much but I went through the same thing (unfortunately even after 2 years it still hits hard sometimes). Even being at the beach this weekend there were so many dogs out there running in the sand that it brings back sweet memories and sadness and jealousy all at the same time (Diesel loved to run free at the beach, turned him into a puppy again). I still find it hard to be out in my yard working because he was always with me.... I hope for your sake that you can find some peace and just know that Rex is waiting for you on the other side of rainbow bridge. Maybe you will get lucky and Rex will visit you in a dream (it happened to me once with Diesel and it really helped me because I believe he was telling me that he was OK and will be waiting for me when we meet up again).
Take care my friend

·
Registered
979 Posts
It’s been exactly a month since Rex passed away. I thought things would get easier but, it seems to get more difficult. I catch my self randomly waking up (haven’t slept properly since) and breaking down. It’s almost the summer and that’s when he comes in mind the most as I have the best memorize in the summer running in the field when we were both younger. For some reason I get jealous when I see other dogs. Hope I see him soon, so much I should have done and said to him while he was here. I owe him more than I could ever give.
Dogs occupy a special place in our hearts there is no replacing or filling that void its just something you do have to learn to live with, I lost two of the best Boxers I ever had within 6 months of each other and it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to go thru. It does get better do you ever forget? No. What happened to Rex was not your fault and you gave him the best life and love that you could so please don't beat yourself up over this Rex knew how much you loved him and he is still with you and always will live in your heart so he is not totally gone. When you are ready start looking around there is another little Boxer who would love to be your dog. All dogs ask of us is to be loved and treated like a friend and you did that so please don't feel guilty.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Sorry you are having a difficult time, these boxers sure do take a piece of ours hearts with them when they go. Its been one year now that Kai is gone, and still when I look at his picture, we have a canvas of the dogs on kitchen wall, I cry. Though I love boxers Just can't...

·
Registered
979 Posts
This doesn’t get better does it?
As time passes it gets a little better but do you ever fully get over it the answer would be no. You just need to remember him for the special dog he was and feel very lucky you got to share some of your life with him. I am sure Rex loved you very much and would not want you being alone and feeling this way so when you are ready (don't rush it) start looking around for another Boxer that needs your love who knows maybe Rex will have had something to do with sending another dog to love you so please don't close your heart down.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh what a beautiful dog your Rex was; it so obvious how much you loved him. I'm so sorry for how you are feeling, it is so hard to lose the doggy love of your life. They are such beautiful souls and bring you so much happiness, every day, and in the simplest ways. You must feel lost without him, I really feel for you. Last year I lost my boy, he was 14.5 so i knew it was time but it didn't crush me any less. It's ok to be sad, it hurts. Try not to think about him all the time if you can, maybe you can spend more time with the other dogs you mentioned to help you heal. Time will help but the pain will always be with you. Over time though, you can remember him more with smiles and recall those special times you spent together that created such a special bond. And who knows, maybe you will meet again some day. My condolences and a big hug!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts