Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I haven't been on here in a while and hope everyone is doing well- especially during the current times.

Jax who will be 7 this October was found to have arthritis in his right hip a couple of weeks ago. They get x-rays as part of their annual dental cleaning/ comprehensive exam.
From what I can tell- he has started favoring that side going up the stairs, and when we are laying down (they sleep w/ me) and I touch the area up on his back/top of his hip area he sometimes turns and looks like 'what was that'. The vet recommended Dasuquin and depending on how that works, we may go to Rimadyl.

One an also unexpected side, apparently it's common for boxers to grow extra gum tissue that has to be removed to allow them to chew normal. Both Jax and his littermate brother had this done during their dental cleanings this year. I'd never heard of it...but I learn new things about boxers all the time.

Can some of you share with me your experiences with these issues, supplements...etc...? I'm mostly concerned about the arthritis - controlling it and him not being in pain or discomfort. He's still pretty active.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had one of my female boxer as she got to be about 11 had to have a gum growth from her lower jaw in the front it was keeping her from closing her mouth all the way. I also had a male that as he got to be about 7 he got arthritis in both his knees I ended up getting him Adequan injections for arthritis there were two a couple of weeks apart then once a month it really seemed to help him. There are also laser treatments and acupuncture available to help. I did have some problems with some of the earlier by mouth arthritis medications they were making my females GI tract bleed I hope they have improved that by now. Good luck with him but it is manageable if you can find just the right thing.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had one of my female boxer as she got to be about 11 had to have a gum growth from her lower jaw in the front it was keeping her from closing her mouth all the way. I also had a male that as he got to be about 7 he got arthritis in both his knees I ended up getting him Adequan injections for arthritis there were two a couple of weeks apart then once a month it really seemed to help him. There are also laser treatments and acupuncture available to help. I did have some problems with some of the earlier by mouth arthritis medications they were making my females GI tract bleed I hope they have improved that by now. Good luck with him but it is manageable if you can find just the right thing.
Thanks for sharing. I’ll look out for stomach issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts