Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on here ever had a problem with ringworm. Chloe has developed circle bald spots that is behind both ears. Now it has turned into one huge bald spot behind the ears. We have been dealing with a skin issues for 6 months or so with her...small crusty sores that appear out of nowhere then the scab falls off and takes the hair with it. We still don't know what is causing that. She has had her thyroid checked and that

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sounds like what my My pitbull had . We had him checked for ringworm and mange both negative. We switched him to a grain free food Innova EVO and the spots went away. Since then I put him on Solid Gold Mellenium so far no problems.Before we switched and he was still having problems he was eating Nutro Natural lamb and rice.

Oh It did take a little over amonth for the hair to start growing back.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thats what my boyfriend's pitbull looked like ... He has skin allergies and we switched to a good quality food.. Hasn't had any balding since!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Zeus had hair a few spots go bald before and I asked my uncle (the one that bred his boxers and who i got Zeus from) if he had this problem. So he told me that his vet gave him this shampoo which was like $20. So i got the shampoo from him and gave Zeus a bath in it and it was a couple of days his hair started growing back. So now i give Zeus oatmeal baths after a flea bath when i do because it is good for their coat.  But their problems could have been different but just a suggestion on what i did.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i have dealt with ringworm in the past and it is the biggest problem!! If there are hairs glowing under the black (whether it be one or many) i woult treat for ringworm. There is four different ways. First is oral meds prescribed by the vet, a shampoo also purchased at a vets office (it contains antifungal meds), a topical applicant that the vet can give your or lotrimin (spelling?). Lortimin is the over the counter antifungal for humans. When i worked at the e-vet we would have our patients try this first-if it there was no improvement with-in 10-14 days we moved on to  the prescribed meds. hope this helps some- be sure to wash everything she has touched, and i would buy lotrimin spray if she gets on your couch or bed or anything that cant be washed and make sure to spray that. Ringworm can be spread to humans, kids more than adults, but anything can happen if left untreated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What worked for me...

I have had to battle with it with puppies. What I found to work was not Lotrimin (which IMHO sucks for ringworm whether on humans or dogs) but Lamisil. The generic is terbinafine hydrochloride cream 1%. I applied it once or twice a day for a week. It works well as a spot treatment.

HOWEVER, you've got the fungal spores to deal with. Make sure you change your dog's bedding daily (wash with HOT water and dry on HIGH heat if you aren't using bleach.) Also, I washed the puppies every other day for a week with Clinical Strength Head & Shoulders shampoo. The generic would be selenium sulfide 1%. After the first week, I bathed them with the shampoo once a week for several weeks.

The annoying thing is that if there is an environmental source that goes undetected, your dog can be reinfected. Thankfully it is cheap to treat with OTC products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts