Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post often and almost never start a post..lol but I came across this old pic of my Rocco as a pup. The "now" was last weekend while working on his long down while training

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Rocco looking real good.

Whats the criteria for the long down in IPO? Is it a set time, ignore certain distractions, etc?

I trained it with Zuke, but the hardest part was getting him to lay down outside in the correct position. I guess he assumed it was like laying down in the house with his backend resting on one side. Once he was down in the correct position it was pretty smooth sailing even with distractions.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocco looking real good.

Whats the criteria for the long down in IPO? Is it a set time, ignore certain distractions, etc?

I trained it with Zuke, but the hardest part was getting him to lay down outside in the correct position. I guess he assumed it was like laying down in the house with his backend resting on one side. Once he was down in the correct position it was pretty smooth sailing even with distractions.
The long down is done while another dog is doing their OB.
So you walk to the or side of the field "down" your dog on the judges command and walk 30 yards away and keep your back to him while the other dog does their exercises. So 10 mins-ish.
The dog and shift from side to side but he/she can't creep/crawl out of position.
This will give you the idea

Back a few month ago I stopped (not completely) working IPO/IPG and moved to French ring sport. I wouldn't say it's easier but it doesn't require the same amount of training time from me. Mostly because there isn't any tracking in FR. So it's easier for me to find the time to work my own dog..lol

·
Registered
312 Posts
Bte2, I remember your Rocco, he turned out magnificent. He and my Myles are about the same age. He's in the avatar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts