Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im new here iv got a boxer who goes by the name of rocky he is 2 years of age and i only got him 3 weeks ago,  i fed him on saturday night and didnt feed him or ty ( my gsd ) the next morning because they were going out to be running about and im wary of the whole twisted stomach thing.  the thing is it was over 12 hours since his last feed before he started to run about and i know it sounds like a long time but it was bout 10 on saturday night that they were fed i had them down the beach and they started running around and rocky was sick and it still had lumps from his food from the night before now i know boxers have sensitive tummy's and i know rocky is def one of tho's boxers thats why he was on pro plan salmon and rice sensitive.

can anyone tell me why he was sick with his food not digested over 12 hours since he was last fed?

thanks lisa

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Normally vomiting and there being whole food in it is a result of them eating to fast and swallowing the food whole so that it takes longer to digest or as you are seeing will come up whole.....You can try placing the food on a cookie sheet so that he has to slow down to eat it and see if that helps him chew his food better...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I just wanted to add that most of the digestion in dogs happen in their stomach, where as in humans we tend to chew food really well. A dog doesn't really chew, the acids in their stomach tend to do all the work as far as breaking down food and bones if they are fed a raw diet. They do not have the digestive enzymes in their saliva. They either swallow the food whole or will crunch or tear their food into pieces that they can swallow. That is why when they vomit, the food looks "undigested" or still whole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts