Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cosmo and Cori have been playing all the time since we brought Cori in. They get pretty rough some times. We noticed Cosmo had some bruise like bumps around his face, and one of them was open in a sore like manner. We took him to the Vet and he didn't think it was mange or anything, but just from playing. He gave us some antiobiotics and told us to keep them apart.... Apparently this vet doesn't know that it is basically impossible to keep two boxers from playing with each other, especially one that is 6 mos old and one that is a year old.

Is there anything we can put on his sore like a neosporin type cream ? Maybe even some kind of bandages?  I hear what he vet is saying but anything short of keeping them crated they will not separate for any period of time... They go through bully sticks like it's their job and they're getting pretty pricy.

G

·
0 Posts
maybe a liquid bandage?  Bo never leaves a mark on Jetta..but Jetta has been known to leave marks on Bo...they don't seem to bother him and I never hear him yelp so I don't worry about them much...the cat does worse to him than Jetta, lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think liquid bandage would be easily removed by Cori, she's got most of his head in her mouth when they're playing...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sharonL\";p=\"94143 said:
You can use neosporin on a dog it wont hurt :)
I'm just worried that when they play it will get in Cori's mouth. That can't be good, right ? Should we try to wrap it up in some kind of gauze or bandage?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
When we first got Lucy, she and Sam both would have all kinds of cuts on their necks and feet from rough play.  I would put neosporin on them as well. I am sure one of them licked it off the other but they are ok so I don't think I would worry too much - just try to rub it in real good before you turn them loose again  :D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Boy does this sound like my house :D These 2 play pretty rough and since Blitz is 40# lighter and about 1 yr younger than Donner she gets some bumps and bruises. Of course she has needle sharp little teeth so Donner gets his fair share of nicks too. Just like when the skin kids were small, I wash the spot with a little soap and warm water, rub in some neosporin, kiss generously and send 'em back to play. :lol: I've always got at least one ear/eye on what they're doing and break it up if it looks like it's getting serious and there's real potential for injury. Hahaha, again, just like I did with the skin kids years ago :lol: BTW, don't believe I'd use bandages unless I HAD to. To much incentive to chew it off and swallow it. (never worried about the skin kids doing THAT :wink: )

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks every for your responses! The cuts don't seem to bother Cosmo, we just don't want them to get infected. We did put some neosporin on them and we'll keep an eye on it. Cori tried to lick it off, though, so that's probably not helpful. But, thanks again!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It really won't hurt Cori if she licks it, so I wouldn't worry too much..Yea, the hazards of 2 Boxers playing...Buck & Tia used to always have nicks and such, Samson & Angel, nope, never

1 - 10 of 10 Posts