Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 week old boxer is a very rough guy! All he wants to do is bite (sometimes even breaking skin), and jump on you. It?s very rare that you could set him in your lap or something and just pet him. I understand he is still teething but he does not understand ?no? when it comes to anything! Nothing will get him to stop rough housing and biting if he decides he wants to play tough! Any tips at all? He starts puppy training this week!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you taught him the meaning of the word no? The word no is often often used when raising a puppy but it has to be taught as a command. "No" puppy stops and...."yes" (that's my marker can use clicker instead) and treat.
As for jumping I turn my back but I also stay one step ahead from these bright little puppies. Ex. Pup comes running I say "sit" ( or well known command) puppy sits instead of jumping. "Yes" and treat. Id puppy does not sit he gets no attention whatsoever. They must always get the chance to be rewarded for good behavior. Rewarding good behavior any chance you get.
I am Very strict with my pups from day one! NtT MEAN but strict. I don't let their puppy Adorable cuteness and those big puppy eyes get to me! lol Meaning from day one I expect them to sit calmly in front of me to get petted or food.
Always keep in mind that they have to learn everything. And it must be taught everywhere and in different ways. Ex. If pup has learned to sit in your house you must teach him to sit in the yard etc...Once I have a solid "sit" I also teach commands with sunglasses on and cap on and off , slightly turning my back etc....so the pup does not ONLY rely on my body language but also actually learns the word.
Biting in a BIG no here! And when pups get over excited they won't always listen so it's improtant to be calm as they will pick up on your calmness. Boxers are extremely in touch with how you feel.
I also hand feed half their meals so I have at least 2 training sessions a day and use NILIF -(Nothing in life is free)
Hope this helps,it's a long puppy journey but it is very rewarding later on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Forgot to say this too lol sorry I've got lots to say this morning.

I would initiate play WITH TOYS, not your hands. So he learns that YOU decide when it's time to play and HOW you want to play.
Also stop play when you want to stop. If he bites during play ''NO'' and leave.
If he runs after you no attention whatsoever (you can go behind closed doors).
But when you come out (at some point) greet him like nothing happened and if he is calm re-initiate play and so on.

They learn through repetition, so the more you practice the better it will get.

Patience and feeling in control of every situation is the key :)

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Hmm first ... where are you going to this "puppy training class???" It's a loaded question because if it's a Petsmart/Petco ... I doubt they will be much help??? Second ... people always luv to "issues" into one big bundled all the time???

Jumping is one thing and biting is another thing. A puppy can bite and still jump or jump and still bite. And the word "NO" means "nothing" to a dog if there are no consequences and turning your back or walking away, is not a "consequence ie adversive!"

For Struddell well all my dogs the "adversive" was the command "Down" which has to be taught ... but for them it meant "Play time" was over!

And the word "NO" means "nothing" without consequences. And for Struddell the word "NO" meant, Stop doing whatever it is you are doing and don't do it again ... worked out fine. :)

Got more but I did throw a question in there so I'll stop now. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm first ... where are you going to this "puppy training class???" It's a loaded question because if it's a Petsmart/Petco ... I doubt they will be much help??? Second ... people always luv to "issues" into one big bundled all the time???

Jumping is one thing and biting is another thing. A puppy can bite and still jump or jump and still bite. And the word "NO" means "nothing" to a dog if there are no consequences and turning your back or walking away, is not a "consequence ie adversive!"

For Struddell well all my dogs the "adversive" was the command "Down" which has to be taught ... but for them it meant "Play time" was over!

And the word "NO" means "nothing" without consequences. And for Struddell the word "NO" meant, Stop doing whatever it is you are doing and don't do it again ... worked out fine.

Got more but I did throw a question in there so I'll stop now.
The training class will be done at All American Dog training

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Ok cool ... most likely. :)

Ask them if they train "The Place Command" if they actually have a clue ... what that is, then you should be in good hands.
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

These days I do those with every dog that falls under my care. :)

And the jumping thing at least ... take a look here.:

http://www.boxerforums.com/1962666-post2.html

There are very recent thread here on the biting thing ... but I lost track of them??? New members but I lost track of who ... my bad. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok cool ... most likely.

Ask them if they train "The Place Command" if they actually have a clue ... what that is, then you should be in good hands.
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

These days I do those with every dog that falls under my care.

And the jumping thing at least ... take a look here.:

http://www.boxerforums.com/1962666-post2.html

There are very recent thread here on the biting thing ... but I lost track of them??? New members but I lost track of who ... my bad.
I have actually heard that they train ?place? very well! Fingers crossed, thank you!!

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I have actually heard that they train ?place? very well! Fingers crossed, thank you!!
LOL ... outstanding! :)

Most likely your good but this is my preferred "Puppy Trainer" anyway.:

·
Registered
22 Posts
We learned this from our first trainer with our first English Mastiff puppy. "NO" wasn't also working for us, so get an empty aluminum soda can and fill it with 4 to 5 pennies and seal the top with tape.
Shake it hard along with the "NO" command and don't let the puppy see it. You can also throw it, not at your dog, but near whatever you want it to leave along with the "NO" command.

This has worked for our 2 Mastiffs and all 4 Boxers.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts