Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I have read all the stuff about boxer rough play, like the wonderful thing Liz Posted and I have tried everything, but my 2 literally NEVER stop playing rough, I mean NEVER! when they are out of the crate. by themselves, they are fine, I think I could leave them out by themselves ALL the time, cause theyre very good, but together....non stop rough play. I mean they WILL NOT take a break. If I let them outside to play they will just keep running and running and play fighting and biting and then they will lay down and play fight while they are laying down, and in the house its the same way. I tried time outs, Firm NO's, nothing works!!! I have to just give them turns, like popeye will get an hour out of the crate, then take a nap, hazel will get an hour out, take a nap, etc. I mean if they did it occassionally i wouldnt care, id just try to correct it but its like out of control lol. they wont even stop if i show them there favorite treats!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I dont know Ruth....Do they play to the point that you feel they will hurt each other?  I know Fiona plays really rough with the cat and I get on to her and make her stop, but the truth is the cat likes it and when he thinks no one is watching he pounds on Fiona and bites her too... I personally just get tired of listening to them do it....Her growling at him and him hissing at her for what seems like hours on end....  What is the age difference between popeye and hazel??

·
Registered
317 Posts
My boxer plays with my 2 shelties the same way.  I have to watch her around the older one, but the younger one and her play like that.  She'll lay down on her back and the Sheltie and her "mouth" at each other.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Vega and my moms Basset do this and yes it is an all day thing, well, at least till Bella gets tired and says enough.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ours play a lot too until their engery runs out...we try to give them several periods of time to just run like crazy outside and a good long walk or game of frisbee to help wear off some of that energy. Things inside calm considerably after making them work real hard outside. I figure every couple hours while we are home we give them a hard core play session and things stay relatively calm afterwards. Also, if they have a blast of energy, just send them out the door and let them run it off. I find that when I try to control their energy, it only prolongs the struggle because I am asking them to chill out when they have all this energy, so I spend the next 2 hours trying to calm them.  My time is much more efficiently used if I just let them go run it off..it's done in 10 minutes and we move on.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the responses!!! I guess its just the way they are, Ill try bringing them outside, and then let them come in, see if they fall asleep together.

Sharon - Popeye is 7 months and Hazel is 5 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts