Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were over at a very good friends house this week with all 4 of our dogs, he also has 4, and it isn't unusual for all 8 to be toghether in one house/yard/boat.  A fight happened and i need advice on how best to handle it in the future.

Roxy is my boxer and is 6 years old.  Emma is a mastiff and is about 4 years old and is the newest to the group, she arrived in December.  They haven't been the best of friends since meeting but have gotten along without any altercations, we just don't throw any food or give too much love to anyone when they're together.  Well, we were grilling out, it was dark, and as Emma came through the gate, Roxy took off accross the yard and jumped her!  They started fighting, so of course, me, the hubby, my friend and his GF were all trying to separate them.  Ginger, my oldest boxer, sees what's going on and comes running and jumps Emma too!  I grabbed her and the other 3 separated Roxy and Emma.  Roxy ended up with a deep puncture wound on her front foot that we've been doctoring.  She's fine, but i'm worried about what might happen next.  

I know from experience that Boxers can hold a grudge and will retaliate.  Do any of you have any suggestions on how we can get the two girs together and teach them to be friends, or at least tolerate each other?  It would be a real shame if all of the dogs couldn't hang out with us anymore!

I am glad to say that Max (15mo) stayed back and didn't get involved!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Wow...that's tough...we have a similar situation in our extended family...Jackson(the boys dog) and his oldest male pup(Chip) have a tough time...really, it's Jackson...he IS THE DAD and he doesn't get that he is no longer the BIGGEST dog...cause Chip is HUGE!  So, we just have to keep them apart...

I have heard that once dogs have gotten into a serious fight, they will not ever be ok together again...but, you are the only one who knows how serious this fight was...I hope it all works out for you!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well i can tell you that Zeus (my boxer) and Dante (my shephard/lab) duke it out every once in awhile. They are good for the most part but sometimes they just have to see who dominates the other which Dante doesnt get marked but Zeus has some scars from Dante. I thought i was the only one with a boxer with a grudge. he got attacked my a husky and ever since if we go places and he sees another husky around he will get ancy to try to start something up.

Best thing to do though  is try to get them to socialize with the other. There are a lot of methods. Im pretty sure that someone will give you some training tips. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Jetta and Oscar will play with dogs separately, but like Hanna up there, Jetta will protect Oscar till the death.  Oscar is fine with everybody but he is still young.  Jetta doesn't like un-spayed females.  Maybe the hormones?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I don't like everyone I meet either, same with dogs.  Some are better at tolerance of others and some are not.  Two females can be a problem.  You can try to have them together, just the two.  Each dog with the owner and work on obedience work with your own dog on lead.  Sits, heeling etc.  Not meeting face to face.  One follows the other and then switch.  Work them closer and closer together and watch for reactions.  This could take a lot of time.  It took me 3 years for my male to become friends with my friends passive german shephard.  I agree with what has been said above.  Better safe than sorry and my dogs stay home or in car in situation they cannot handle.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson has issues with multiple dogs, plus the fact that he is very protective, hence he stays home for meetups..It just could be that Roxy & Emma will never really get a long and you may have to make arrangements to keep them apart. I know, not a fun prospect, but the other scenario is worse....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts