Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the vet recommended to put Sadie on this food so we are trying it out. (for UTI problems) Right now we have a few sample packs to see how she does on it. The problem is, on the package it has the ingredients on there but it's not a normal list so I can't see what order they are in (a little fishy), therefore I don't really know what it has most of it in...I have searched online to try and find an ingredients list, but have been unsuccessful...

I am looking to see if there is some sort of equivalent higher grade food with the same ingredients. The reason I think this food is low grade is that it has corn in it...I have tried to "grade the food" myself from the thread on here but I can't since they are not listed in any particular order.

Has anyone used this food before and found a better alternative? I realize this is a loaded question so not sure if anyone can help...

Sorry for the length!

Here are the ingredients in no particular order:
Protein:
Chicken, Egg, Fish
Fat:
Docosahexaenoic Acid
Flax, Fish, Chicken and primrose oil
Carbs:
Highly digestible mixed grains, Rice, Oats, corn
Fibre:
Beet pulp
Cranberry meal
tomatoe pomace
Special nutrients:
Beta-Carotene, Alpha-Lipoic Acid, Organic Selenium, Natural Vit E, Ascorbic Acid
L-Glutamine, L-Carnitine, Fructo-Oligosaccharides, Lecithin, Citric Acid, Bacillus Subtilis Dried, Fermentation Extract, Iron Bioplex, Copper Bioplex Zinc Bioplex

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Willow. I must have missed the link to ingredients lists, because I was just on their site LOL I must be blind. Seeing that just reaffirms my thinking that it was a low grade food. Now to find an equivalent. I may just head to the organic feed shop armed with the ingredients list and see if they have an alternative...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Interesting, because the other Royal Canin's are graded A+ according to this post:

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... ingredient

Maybe it's just that blend.

I currently have Ty on the Royal Canin Large Puppy Breed, but I am thinking about changing him over to something else. He has been having a really weak stomach (the "runs") a lot, and we can't figure out from what.  The only thing left to change or check out is his food.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Royal Canin is a good food, but only in certain kinds.   They use corn in their ingredients and some other stuff I'd personally like to see out.  However if you get the decent one (no fillers) then its fine.  However I do find it higher priced since its found at petco/petsmart and think there are many other brands a little protein less grain heavy that are less than the bag of RC.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Michelle I think it's the blend too.

For instance this Development formula has it's first ingredient as Chicken meal by-product and the fourth ingredient as corn. It just seems to have a lot of fillers in it...I am hoping to find something that is better for her. I can't seem to find what the ingredients are that make it better for her UTI...I saw cranberry meal on the bag as ingredient but its not on the website... :? To me that would seem to be the only thing that may be good for a UTI....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am still trying to learn about kibble for my puppy (5 months), so I am reading what I can on this site and I thank everyone for all their knowledge.

Hannabanana, is there a kibble that you can suggest to me for Tyson?  Something you think I should try? I have heard good things about Timberwolf Organics and Canidae.  (Unfortunately, I stocked up on the RC, but I will be donating it to my local humane society/shelter if I switch Ty over.  I have about 40lbs of it left.)

Ty's stomach is just acting up lately, and I think it's his food.

(**Sorry Sadiesmomma for hyjacking your thread**)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Sadiesmomma\";p=\"43991 said:
Michelle I think it's the blend too.

For instance this Development formula has it's first ingredient as Chicken meal by-product and the fourth ingredient as corn. It just seems to have a lot of fillers in it...I am hoping to find something that is better for her. I can't seem to find what the ingredients are that make it better for her UTI...I saw cranberry meal on the bag as ingredient but its not on the website... :? To me that would seem to be the only thing that may be good for a UTI....
That is all very confusing.   :roll: I am still trying to learn all the ingredients as well and what's good and bad.

How old is Sadie?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't worry, you are not "hijacking" the thread at all LOL. I am all for learning more about foods! Sadie is 15weeks...just a baby with lots of Urinary probs  :(

Thanks for the link Heather, I just glanced at it. I'll look it over in detail when I get a chance with Rob. It does seem very informative.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Its hard to recommend anything because there is so much out there and not everything works well with every dog!     Best thing I tell people is find what is around you.  What do you have easy access to?    Get some samples and see what they like.   Make some notes on brands.

Like my girl gets runs off cali natural.  So I print out the indredients and when looking for a new food try to find something that has a little different ingredient list.  Then try that.  Try to find out what it is that is making her belly unsettled.

On the stocking up thing, always can mix it with the new stuff:)  I also only get a 30lb bag for my two because any more the food would go stale.  It does just like cereal!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ok, thanks for the idea.  The "runs' is what we are running into (not literally) with Ty.  I am convinced it has something to do with his food.  Just have to figure out what.

For the food, I have about 4 10lbs bags (i think) so they are still not opened.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Michelle-How long has he had the runs for? I'm sure the shelter will LOVE the donation.

Heather-Thanks for the links. I wish I had a holistic vet!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Alexa, did you get some cranberry pills? I remember my MIL used to give those to her poodle who was always having urinary issues and the vet recomended them.....

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
samsonsmom\";p=\"44002 said:
Alexa, did you get some cranberry pills? I remember my MIL used to give those to her poodle who was always having urinary issues and the vet recomended them.....
Yeah, we actually feed her 1tsp 100% cranberry juice almost everyday. Sharon had said that would have the same effect as the pill form.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I decided to switch her to Innova Puppy food. I researched a few and decided that would be the best for her right now. Thanks to all of you for your help, tips, and comments. I'm also giving her Omega fatty acids and cranberry concentrate supplements to help with her infection. I'll let you know how she makes out.
Thanks again  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Let us know how it works Alexa...Got to get Miss Sadie back healthy again  :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Royal Canin????  I would only suggest this website to further yourself away from Royal Canin...www.dogfoodanalisis.com. This will give you all of the dog foods ranked from 1 - 6 stars, ingredient content and overall review on the specific food. Also Don't make the mistake of being misled by manufactures sites...I made that mistake.. Read the ingredients carefully. Many of the ingredients in the Royal Canin may cause stress to the kidneys, liver, yeast infections, allergies... they also use a contraversial ingredient....Saw Dust...!  Upon this discovery, I wrote an e-mail to Royal Canin asking about this ingredient, The just gave me the run around... I am currently feeding Tigger Canidae All Life Stages and mix it 10 cups to 1 with Solid Gold Barking At The Moon... Incredible difference in him then when he was on Royal Canin  Puppy 32...

kindest Regards,

Tanoak Tigger

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tanoak Tigger-Since this post Sadie has been on Innova food and I am much more impressed with their ingredients list. She is doing very well on it. I agree RC is not a high grade food at all! That was the reason behind my posting this in the first place I didn't like the ingredients...too much corn and by-products. I hear you about the manufacturers websites, are they really going to say bad things about their food?..no

1 - 20 of 24 Posts