Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this something i should feed my 60lbs 13+ month old boxer

i was searching for the diamon large breed at petsmart but they didnt carry it so i opted for royal canin large breed/or boxer

but they didnt have those either.  so i saw this medium special 25 and i grabbed it went home and i did grading and i scored low but im not sure if im grading appropriately or not.

is anyone else out there feeding their dog the medium special 25???  should i just go back and return it and opt for something else.

t.i.a.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am currently feeding Britney Royal Canin Medium Junior 32 (the breeder started her on this and I will be switching to large breed 32) She has done well on this so far. In Thailand you cannot buy many brands like Canidae. They are just not sold...

In the united states RC recommends Large Breed 32. Once your dog turns 15 months you can switch to Boxer 26.

You can find more information at http://www.royalcanin.us/dogfood/maxiproducts.html

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
According to THIS site, royal canin is not a recommended food.  It rates as 2 out of 6 stars.  At the bottom of the linked page click- see the reviews and then search for your dog food- or you can click on the ratings to find a food in that category.  You can view the reviews and learn how they grade the foods to make a choice for you pup!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Interesting website - anyhow when you take the food poll on Boxer Forums I believe RC came up number 2 as the most popular food being served. Also, living in Thailand many foods are not avaliable unless I send for them in a container.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hey- I can totally understand being limited to what is available to you ;)  just wanted to let bizzy know about other options if interested... and I really gained a lot of knowledge about how to choose a quality kibble from that site.
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that site.  i went back to petco today and purchased a smaller bag of something else which i thought was good but ended up also being another 2 star bag.

now that i know better i'm going to find a better choice for my pup.  shame my local petco's dont carry the finer brands.  they didn't carry alot of the 4/ 5 star brands.

·
Registered
648 Posts
FYI

I just found an old post on here that rated the dog food as well. At 15 months you can begin to feed them Boxer 26. It seemed to score very high on this test. This may help some of the people like me that can't find some of the popuar alternatives.

Royal Canin Boxer 26 / Score 103 A+

Ingredients
Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, chicken fat, wheat gluten meal, oat, chicken, natural chicken flavor, rice flour, anchovy oil (source of DHA), dried egg product, sodium silico aluminate, dried beet pulp (sugar removed), pea fiber, soya oil, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, potassium citrate, sodium tripolyphosphate, dried brewers yeast extract (source of mannan-oligosaccharides), taurine*, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascrobyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), D-calcium panthotenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2) supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin B12 supplement], choline chloride, DL-methionine, glucosamine hydrochloride*, L-Carnitine*, Trace minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], L-tyrosine, tea (green tea extract), chondroitin sulfate*, marigold extract (Calendula officinalis L.), preserved with mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E) and citric acid, rosemary extract.

Full Listing

Dog Food scores:
Alpo Prime Cuts / Score 81 C
Artemis Large/Medium Breed Puppy / Score 114 A+
Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
Authority Harvest Baked Less Active / Score 93 B
Beowulf Back to Basics / Score 101 A+
Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
Blackwood 3000 Lamb and Rice / Score 83 C
Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice / Score 106 A+
Burns Chicken and Brown Rice / Score 107 A+
Canidae / Score 112 A+
Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
Diamond Performance / Score 85 C
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice / Score 106 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
EaglePack Holistic / Score 102 A+
Eukanuba Adult / Score 81 C
Eukanuba Puppy / Score 79 C
Flint River Senior / Score 101 A+
Foundations / Score 106 A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 B
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Innova Large Breed Puppy / Score 122 A+
Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
Member's Mark Chicken and Rice / Score 84 C
Merrick Wilderness Blend / Score 127 A+
Nature's Recipe / Score 100 A
Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin Venison and Rice / Score 116 A+
Nature's Variety Raw Instinct / Score 122 A+
Nutra Nuggets Super Premium Lamb Meal and Rice / Score 81 C
Nutrience Junior Medium Breed Puppy / Score 101 A+
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
Nutro Max Adult / Score 93 B
Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice / Score 98 A
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Wheat Free / Score 86 B
Nutro Natural Choice Senior / Score 95 A
Nutro Ultra Adult / Score 104 A+
Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
Premium Edge Chicken, Rice and Vegetables Adult Dry / Score 109 A+
Pro Nature Puppy / Score 80 C
Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach / Score 94 A
Purina Benful / Score 17 F
Purina Dog / Score 62 F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
Purina One Large Breed Puppy / Score 62 F
Royal Canin Boxer / Score 103 A+
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
Solid Gold / Score 99 A
Summit / Score 99 A
Timberwolf Organics Wild & Natural Dry / Score 120 A+
Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

·
Registered
27 Posts
A Lot of them 6 star & 5 Star dog food you can't get at your local store  :twisted:

Anybody know if their is a place online to order from so I can try and see if my Bucky would like something different? He is only 3 months old and weighs in at 23lbs

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Hmmm . . . . now I'm curious.  I'm still looking through the website g00dgirl provided.
I've been thinking of switching Henry's food anyway.
Thanks for the info!  Now I have to think, OY! :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Joxer, check out Timberwolf, I believe if you order more than $15 shipping is free..Also ask for samples from the food companies to try out as well  :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
o1bizzy1o";p="63431 said:
is this something i should feed my 60lbs 13+ month old boxer

i was searching for the diamon large breed at petsmart but they didnt carry it so i opted for royal canin large breed/or boxer

but they didnt have those either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts