Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Re: Ruby isn't any better...

Have you changed her food lately?  I know that when I had Kiah on Canidae she had a huge amount of eye goobers (no swelling or redness) but it stopped when she was on a different food.  Wish I had some better options to offer.  Hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

Sorry to say I am of no help.  Just wanted to send you & Ruby big hugs. Poor thing, I hope her eyes are feeling better soon.

·
Registered
780 Posts

Prayers for Ruby.  The poor little thing.  I have no ideas on anything that could help, none of ours have had this problem....just simple allergy problems with ours.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kiahsmom...I haven't changed her food or her treats.  I've been wracking my brain trying to think of *something* that is different, but just can't think of a thing.  She just looks so sad.  Thanks for the thoughts, though!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ohh those pictures!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Awe poor Ruby, she looks so miserable.  I hope you get to the bottom of her problem and that she gets better really soon.  Sending you healing vibes and keeping her in our prayers for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't have any suggestions but I hope she gets to feeling better soon.  You can see in her face that it's bothering her.  I would think it's allergies if I had to guess.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Poor Ruby.  :(  She looks miserable. Being that you've already gone to the vet twice about this problem, how about inquiring about seeing an opthamologist? Your regular vet may not have the instruments or tools needed to diagnose Ruby's problem. Ask your vet, he may be able to give you a referral to an eye doctor.  Good luck with this. I hope you get to the root of the problem real quick.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I know that one of the dogs at the rescue had an eyelash problem, the eyelashes grew backwards and irritated the eyes making them all red and swollen.  Don't remember what it was called.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Wow, that does look bad and she looks so sad. What Kiahsmom is talking about is an entropion eye.  I dont think that is what it looks like though. It does look allergy related. Normally if something is stuck in the eye, under the lid or even a scratch they will hold the eye closed because it is sensative to light.  This is generally shown on a eye stain and light, which it sounds like they have already done.  Antibiotics may or may not help.  I have not seen many eye problems corrected without putting something in the eye.  

Let me get a little more info from you. Did it come up all of a sudden, like overnight or were her eyes red for a while and then it got worse?  Was the swelling there too when it came up or did it swell after she rubbed on it? Can you tell me what ointment they gave you the first time? What antibiotic she is on now? Is she rubbing the eye or scratching it?  I guess so since you put a cone on.  It kind of looks like pink eye, but is there a discharge from the eye either clear, yellow or green and when she sleeps and wakes up are her eye lids stuck together with mucas either wet or dry?

Sorry for all the questions, but I can try to figure something out for you if i know a little more.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Awhhh... POOR RUBY!! Poor baby looks miserable!! I have no idea's was just going to maybe ask more questions to see if I could find out some info for you... best person for the job though is Sharon!... Good luck with your baby!  :(

·
Registered
942 Posts
My first thought was pink eye...but I wasn't sure if dogs could get pink eye. I hope Ruby feels better soon and I hope Sharon can give you some shining light into what the deal is.

Get well soon Ruby!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I try to answer, but it is not easy for me because I have to look up the special medical terms in an english dictionary

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did it come up all of a sudden, like overnight or were her eyes red for a while and then it got worse? Actually, last Thursday morning, she woke up and her left eye was a little swollen and slightly pink.  She sometimes looks like that anyway, but it got a little puffier as the day went on.  Friday morning she woke up and her right eye matched her left and they had turned red and were much puffier.
Was the swelling there too when it came up or did it swell after she rubbed on it? It started out slightly puffy, but not nearly like it is now.  It's gotten worse over the last few days and were at *the* worst with the 1st ointment.
Can you tell me what ointment they gave you the first time? Vetropolycin HC three times a day in combination with Benedryl 3 times a day.
What antibiotic she is on now? Clavamox  ~1 tablet every 12 hrs with her meal
Is she rubbing the eye or scratching it? She was, but has been wearing the cone for the last 2 days.  We tried taking it off last night to sleep and she was rubbing along our bed, so it went back on.    
It kind of looks like pink eye, but is there a discharge from the eye either clear, yellow or green and when she sleeps and wakes up are her eye lids stuck together with mucas either wet or dry? During the day, her discharge is mostly clear...extra watery I guess you'd say.  In the morning, she has large globs of white stuff in the corner of each eye, but she goes out to pee and comes back in and it's usually gone...she does lots of stretching and shaking her head in the morning because of the cone.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts