Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i was leaving the house today with my sister, little niece, and Xena, there were some kids outside playing with BB guns and Xena temporarily lost her mind and lunged in their direction. In the process she pulled me over, toppled some plants, and slipped out of the leash. When she saw me fall, she sat and stared for a second before realizing that she was free...then RAN. I cant say this is the first time something like this has happened. Anytime someone leaves the door open and her doggy gate that prevents her from running isnt locked, shes gone. A few weeks ago, we were having our celing painted to repair damage from Hurricane Wilma. I stayed at my dads house during the process. One day he was going out to smoke and forgot to shut the door and she made a run for it. He lives off of a busy street and it was a friday afternoon during rush hour. She made a bee line for the street and ran right out in the middle of it. Luckily, the light was red, some kind people got out of their SUV to grab her, and my wonderful boyfriend was willing to run out there after her. Whenever I call her when shes out on one of her "runs," she acts deaf. Shes somehow come out of it everytime unharmed but im afraid one day we wont be so lucky. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL Xena does that too....stops and turns around and wiggles as if to say, "Isn't this fun, Mom?!?!" then resumes running as soon as i take a step in her direction. Did i mention she's 3 years old??

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I had an issue with Angel at a meetup a couple months ago and I asked for suggestions from people that know way more about training than I do..I did a sticky post all about teaching "recall"  Here it is....

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=800

Hopefully there will be some good tips for you..It's helped me, but we still have a ways to go :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Teach her the "come" command.  practice daily so she learns the difference between "come" and  "lets play chase"  

IMHO- "come"  is the most important command you can teach.  It can prevent dog getting hit by a car or jumping up on someone in the yard like a small child and it will save you from running after your naughty puppy while she is having great fun with you chasing her.

Also, she may need more good heavy exercise - a tired puppy is a good puppy :wink:
Depending on your physical/time limitations you could get a doggy backpack and load her down with water bottles or rocks, just enough weight to make her work harder on her walks. 8) Which will tire her out more :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She knows the "come" command but chooses to ignore it during her runs. I also need a recommendation for a good, strong collar that she can't take off or slip out of.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Get a martingale collar.  Lupine brand is a good one.  They have some cute colors and patterns.  This will prevent the slipping of a collar.

Come is a command that should never, ever be requested of the dog unless you can make it happen.  Using a long-line or leash to reinforce it.  You don't ever want to ask for it , unless you can REINFORCE it, or until you have practiced 15,000 comes.  I am serious about this advice. It is a very serious command and hard to accomplish as all well know.  There are so many more exciting things in life they'd rather check out versus coming to their owner.  When I am HOPING that my dog will return I use a command other than "come" as it may or may not happen if they are off leash.  I usually use "dog, here!"  and if they happen to show up I praise like crazy that they made the decision to show up.  

Nano

1 - 7 of 7 Posts