Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I feel like I'm doing everything wrong.

I just read on another thread that running is bad for puppies. We "play" with Ranger in the house and run circles in the living room around the sofas and he has so much fun chasing us around them. We'll stop and he'll start to box at us and whatnot. Yesterday we took him for our first successful walk (just a couple blocks down our street and back). He ran with us for a little bit and he was just loving it. He also goes NUTS when we take him out...loves to run around the back yard. He looks like a super fast little frog running.

Did I hurt him by doing that? :eek: He'll be 3 months next week.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The rule of thumb is 5 minutes for every month of age when doing a forced walk which means on leash not running and playing on their own. Too much forced exercise may cause hip and joint problems when they are older.

G

·
0 Posts
Shew, thanks Barb :) I was worried when I read that for a minute! Tank loves to run and play, in the house, in the yard and at the river. He isnt leashed much at all :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jenentonik said:
Shew, thanks Barb :) I was worried when I read that for a minute! Tank loves to run and play, in the house, in the yard and at the river. He isnt leashed much at all :)
Same here...and he's getting so fast that I can't catch him. He takes OFF in the back yard and the stinker does it on purpose too. Right when I get close enough to get to him...he takes OFF! :lol: Little nubby tail wagging like crazy.

G

·
0 Posts
Oh my goodness. sounds like Ranger and Tank are long lost brothers! Tank does the same thing!

·
Registered
665 Posts
my wife was doing an essay in her class and chose to do one on boxers. she brought home a bunch of good books for me to read. i thought i knew everything there was to know about them having had 4 of them over many years.
i had always heard the 5 mins for every month but didnt really know exactly why. according to her books. a boxers bones aren't mature until 14-20 months. over exercise before bone maturity can strain developing joints and tendons leading to hip dysplasia later in life.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
strutter said:
my wife was doing an essay in her class and chose to do one on boxers. she brought home a bunch of good books for me to read. i thought i knew everything there was to know about them having had 4 of them over many years.
i had always heard the 5 mins for every month but didnt really know exactly why. according to her books. a boxers bones aren't mature until 14-20 months. over exercise before bone maturity can strain developing joints and tendons leading to hip dysplasia later in life.
but this is only if it's forced right? not if he goes crazy running and jumping around on his own? 8O

We play with him in the house so much...and he gets all hyper jumping and boxing like crazy. Is that bad for him too?

·
Registered
184 Posts
GTgirl said:
strutter said:
but this is only if it's forced right? not if he goes crazy running and jumping around on his own? 8O

We play with him in the house so much...and he gets all hyper jumping and boxing like crazy. Is that bad for him too?
Right - that is forced only. If he is running around in the backyard and in the house on his own, and can stop on his own, that is fine. He will self-limit.

The issue arises when you force him to go on runs with you or long miles-long walks where he can't stop when he is tired or muscles are sore.

·
Registered
665 Posts
GTgirl said:
strutter said:

the books didnt distinguish between forced and voluntary. they dont specify or define exercise. but having owned 4 boxers over the years i'd say dont worry about the play. i cant see how you could stop a boxer puppy from playing, even if you wanted to.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Ditto what others have said. Let him show when he needs to run around and play at this age - you can also start introducing or reinforcing your obedience commands into these playtimes - e.g sit, wait, etc before he's allowed to carry on playing/running- he will find them easier to learn if doing it in a fun way at playtime. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
And if you can keep the play and running on grass, even better, that's a nice cushion for young bones :) I did try to avoid things that would cause Flick to jump or twist a lot, for that very reason..He actually did mildly twist his back doing a somersault after the RC car once :whistle:

G

·
0 Posts
Oh Geez...Stella throws her hips around and uses it like weapon!!! 8O She will throw her butt around and knock you down!!! In the yard she does somersaults......is that bad???? 8O

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
parrothead said:
Oh Geez...Stella throws her hips around and uses it like weapon!!! 8O She will throw her butt around and knock you down!!! In the yard she does somersaults......is that bad???? 8O
[-O< I hope not! Ranger is the same way. He's only 11.5wks but he is so active. He loves to jump at us. He does this thing where he jumps off all four feet at the same time. It's freakin hilarious, but I don't know how to stop him without him thinking he's in trouble.

Puppies will be puppies I guess. As long as I don't take him on the leash running, anything else he does should be ok. 8O

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi. Do you think that no one is concerned in this way now? But in order not to annoy anyone, I will delete the quotation. It's probably best this way.

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
Hi. Do you think that no one is concerned in this way now? But in order not to annoy anyone, I will delete the quotation. It's probably best this way.
I think it’s great to start new threads where current members can respond and engage in the conversation :)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Old threads, do seem to show up more often since the "format change??" It seems to have tamped down a bit but there were alot of them a few week's ago?? One was asking about "Aspen (RIP) and JessMike, " I knew there would be no reply from them so I explained ... Old threads is just one of those things I suppose??

But to answer the question again, "Anyway." Puppy play and just ripping around on "grass in the yard and such ... yes "no big deal." But no running or forced One mile or more marches, until the puppy is a dog and at least one year old or it my be 18 month's?? As the growth plates are still and well growing. Forced running to soon can cause damage to growing joint's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of course, there should be no forced running! This is out of the question. This applies even to adult dogs. You don't like being forced to do anything. But you do not need to forbid puppies to have fun. That's what I wanted to say.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts