Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice or suggestion about this??

I've been thinking about running every morning with boxer, so we can both be healthier and live long lives. But, I just want to make sure its a good idea and if there is anything I should know before hand or some dos and do nots. I love my boxer and he is very well taken care of. Just making sure running isn't going to hurt him. Of course I am going to start out very slow. I also understand boxers have a shorter muzzle, so its a little harder to cool themselves down through panting. Anyways are there are any dog runners out there????

:dance:

·
Registered
168 Posts
well do it in cooler hours of the day so you both dont overheat, but your boxer will love it. mine do, it might take him/her a bit to realize that he/she should be running, not chasing you, but they like it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've just started to learn to run myself, and I'm currently doing short intervals of running and walking, working up to a 5km run. I take Jack with me sometimes, but he's still too young to be doing serious running at 6 months old. He does quite well, despite being a puppy. We walk/run on a flat paved trail, and the only time he gets really excited is if a bicycle goes by or another jogger. Most of the time he seems to be in the zone and is happy to stay beside me. I just use a regular flat collar and 4' leash. I think dogs in general enjoy going at a faster pace than a walk. And frankly, I am not in very good shape so my 'run' intervals are at a very slow jog. Jack barely has to pick up his pace from a walk to keep up with me. If your dog is older than 18 months or so, you'd be fine to run him for longer distances without walking. Just monitor his temperature and bring some water for him if you think he's getting thirsty. Have fun!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I run with Kona daily. Early morning and at dusk.
I use the ruff wear roamer leash...fab for running.
I make sure I put mushers secret on his paws once a week.
I purchased a runners lumbar pack and switched the squirt bottle with a gulpie and poop bags in the little zipper pocket.
I also give him a syringe full of glusosamine ( chocolate flavor for dogs) for joint health
You can tell if they are getting overheated or tired...just like having a child..parents know ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I love taking my dog for runs. I run quite a lot, so I don't always take it. In hot weather, I leave the dog at home. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that Boxers are not the most running dogs unlike Dobermans, Jack russell Terriers or Laikas. But I must say that after our short runs together, the dog looks happy! :) I think you need to pay attention to the reaction of the dog, whether it likes running or not.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I've never had a good running with my dog
a don't know why
Well first how old is he?? And second what is he doing when you run with him?? If he is "Off Leash," he should be near your side. And if he is going to be "Off Leash," he need's a solid recall!

But sure with a longer leash you can run with him leashed, assuming he is old enough. But you would need to start leash training by walking with him first. :)

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
While a boxer can be a running partner, I do not think all can be good running partners. A boxer is brachycephalic type which means they have a shorter snout meaning they have a elongated soft plate which makes their airway pushed together more than longer snouted dogs. This can cause breathing problems as they can't always get in enough air. They also do not tolerate heat as much as other breeds. Now I've seen boxers running but I think it all depends on how far you run, the condition of the dog, the age of the dog and the climate you live in. My boxer would not have made a good running partner, he could not tolerate heat and he had a fairly short snout and anytime he exercised we could see he labored more for air. So you also have to know your particular dog, some boxers have slightly longer snouts and they may tolerate it more.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
While a boxer can be a running partner, I do not think all can be good running partners. A boxer is brachycephalic type which means they have a shorter snout meaning they have a elongated soft plate which makes their airway pushed together more than longer snouted dogs. This can cause breathing problems as they can't always get in enough air. They also do not tolerate heat as much as other breeds. Now I've seen boxers running but I think it all depends on how far you run, the condition of the dog, the age of the dog and the climate you live in. My boxer would not have made a good running partner, he could not tolerate heat and he had a fairly short snout and anytime he exercised we could see he labored more for air. So you also have to know your particular dog, some boxers have slightly longer snouts and they may tolerate it more.
This is a good head's up! Especially considering how extremely hot it is in part's of the country now! And yep, the shorter the nose ... the lower the heat tolerance! Boxer's are "Not," All Weather Dog's! Not the best choice of "Breed's," for a serious runner in high temp region's!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts