Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Well first welcome aboard. And second just "chill out!" Get her checked out by a vet if your really concerned? But if you worry is because she is quite and smallish ... LOL she is "faking!" Now time will tell of course but in my experience ... the most boring of puppies can often turn out to be a Great Dog! That would be my Struddell, White Boxer ... when I went to chose a puppy ... she climbed out of the plie od puppies climbed into my lap and fell asleep? WTH, I was not impressed but I took her ... and I had no regrets! She was faking being boring! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well first welcome aboard. And second just "chill out!" Get her checked out by a vet if your really concerned? But if you worry is because she is quite and smallish ... LOL she is "faking!" Now time will tell of course but in my experience ... the most boring of puppies can often turn out to be a Great Dog! That would be my Struddell, White Boxer ... when I went to chose a puppy ... she climbed out of the plie od puppies climbed into my lap and fell asleep? WTH, I was not impressed but I took her ... and I had no regrets! She was faking being boring! :)
[/QUO
Thank you so much for your reply and welcoming me I am picking her up this Thursday and will try and chill if I can. I do feel once she is on her own she will be ok my only concern is how her belly looks once she has eaten it goes so tight and round and then she becomes heavy on her back legs

·
Administrator
7,184 Posts
She is 11 weeks and weighs 4kg she is so adorable but am scared for her anybody that can give advice would be greatly received View attachment 137218
Welcome to the forum :) There really isn’t anything to be scared about, she weighs 9lbs and even though that’s on the smaller side for her age it isn’t crazy small. I just had a 6lb puppy leave at 8.5 weeks old and she is thriving. If you haven’t already, follow up with your vet, make sure she is dewormed and feed her a good quality puppy food. The issue many have is that they over feed as they want them to grow faster. That’s not how that works. Feed her the appropriate amount for her size. I’m thinking the round belly is because she needs to be dewormed.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Thank u for your reply she has had a health check but I think I will get her checked over again she is so tiny and thin but in my heart I believe I can get her to be a happy healthy dog
LOL yeah I heard the exact same thing about Struddell! And growing up she was actually kinda bony looking for a bit? But I fed her an amount of kibble and canned that seemed appropriate and just ignored my friends that said ... "She looks too thin?"

As long as she is active and playful she is not starving! And once she adjust to her new surroundings ... you will wish she was sleeping! My Stru was a tiny thing growing up but at about year 3, I think? She was 65 lbs of solid muscle! Lean and trim she was actually pretty big for an American Line Girl but next to a Male Boxer (al the ones I saw) yeah they dwarfed her,.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum :) There really isn’t anything to be scared about, she weighs 9lbs and even though that’s on the smaller side for her age it isn’t crazy small. I just had a 6lb puppy leave at 8.5 weeks old and she is thriving. If you haven’t already, follow up with your vet, make sure she is dewormed and feed her a good quality puppy food. The issue many have is that they over feed as they want them to grow faster. That’s not how that works. Feed her the appropriate amount for her size. I’m thinking the round belly is because she needs to be dewormed.
Thank you for your reply and thank you for making me feel more at ease I am picking her up tonight and will follow your advice I am only going to feed her meat as biscuits make her sick I will post a pic of her standing up and maybe you guys can help me further but I will be taking her to vet as she will be due for her second injection so she can have a check up then

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thank you for your reply and thank you for making me feel more at ease I am picking her up tonight and will follow your advice I am only going to feed her meat as biscuits make her sick I will post a pic of her standing up and maybe you guys can help me further but I will be taking her to vet as she will be due for her second injection so she can have a check up then
Emma, if you feed any kibble make sure its for "puppy's" as it has the appropriate minerals and calcium, and if you use any toppings make sure it's very lean no fats.
Be well and good luck on your great adventure to begin soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dog Dog supply Dog breed Carnivore Comfort

Emma, if you feed any kibble make sure its for "puppy's" as it has the appropriate minerals and calcium, and if you use any toppings make sure it's very lean no fats.
Be well and good luck on your great adventure to begin soon.
Here she is she is full of life has made us laugh alot she is eating well drinking well and thankfully growing well we called her Lola my worries are settling at last

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL yeah I heard the exact same thing about Struddell! And growing up she was actually kinda bony looking for a bit? But I fed her an amount of kibble and canned that seemed appropriate and just ignored my friends that said ... "She looks too thin?"

As long as she is active and playful she is not starving! And once she adjust to her new surroundings ... you will wish she was sleeping! My Stru was a tiny thing growing up but at about year 3, I think? She was 65 lbs of solid muscle! Lean and trim she was actually pretty big for an American Line Girl but next to a Male Boxer (al the ones I saw) yeah they dwarfed her,.:)
You were totally right thank u
Dog Dog supply Carnivore Dog breed Dog bed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very cute pup. Spread out feedings to reduce belly swelling, The smaller the pup the smaller and more frequent the meals need to be. Also, stay away from boutique dog foods. Choose a puppy kibble WITH grains and NO Legumes, ie.peas, lentils soybeans etc. Those same foods have recently been proven by the FDA to dramatically increase the chanches of DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy) disease in Boxers who are already breed specificallay prone to it. Legumes are grown for human consumption. Dogs do not eat them in the wild. Most boutique foods promote being "grain free". However, if you think about it, it makes sense.... Dogs in the wild get thier grains from consuming animals that consume thoses grains, fruits and veggies. These essentials also need to be in your boxers diet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So darned cute!
Thank you didn't realise how much love somebody could have for a dog until I got her
Very cute pup. Spread out feedings to reduce belly swelling, The smaller the pup the smaller and more frequent the meals need to be. Also, stay away from boutique dog foods. Choose a large breed puppy kibble WITH grains and NO Legumes, ie.peas, lentils soybeans etc. Those same foods have recently been proven by the FDA to dramatically increase the chanches of DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy) disease in Boxers who are already breed specificallay prone to it. Legumes are grown for human consumption. Dogs do not eat them in the wild. Most boutique foods promote being "grain free". However, if you think about it, it makes sense.... Dogs in the wild get thier grains from consuming animals that consume thoses grains, fruits and veggies. These essentials also need to be in your boxers diet.
Thank you for your reply and will take on board what u have said she is starting to gain good weight and she's starting to look as a puppy should

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Well I would definitely stay away from Grain Free. But I would not feed a "boxer," and certainly not this one any "Large Breed, Kibble." A 85 lb Male Boxer is a pretty dog ... granted.

However the Boxer is classified as a "Medium Breed Dog," not large. Large Breed Food has to much calcium for "smaller breeds. Large Breed Dogs are to name a few Great Danes, Bull Mastiffs, English Mastiffs, Newfies, Dogo Argentino's, American Bull Dog's etc, etc a small one of those is 100 lbs.

Too much calcium can interfere with the growth plates of smaller dog's. Boxer's don't need it and this cutie ... may get up to 55 lbs in about three years? But nowhere near 75 lbs much less 85? 65 lbs top and that would be a reach. But that is what my Stru weighted, although she looked like 55 lbs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I would definitely stay away from Grain Free. But I would not feed a "boxer," and certainly not this one any "Large Breed, Kibble." A 85 lb Male Boxer is a pretty dog ... granted.

However the Boxer is classified as a "Medium Breed Dog," not large. Large Breed Food has to much calcium for "smaller breeds. Large Breed Dogs are to name a few Great Danes, Bull Mastiffs, English Mastiffs, Newfies, Dogo Argentino's, American Bull Dog's etc, etc a small one of those is 100 lbs.

Too much calcium can interfere with the growth plates of smaller dog's. Boxer's don't need it and this cutie ... may get up to 55 lbs in about three years? But nowhere near 75 lbs much less 85? 65 lbs top and that would be a reach. But that is what my Stru weighted, although she looked like 55 lbs?
I am feeding her small dog food her belly wouldn't take anything else and she is happy and however big she gets as long as she is happy and healthy that's what matters she is doing so well I'm going to weigh her next week just to keep eye on weight gain and to know I am doing right by her I don't want her to grow to quick she is my little baby and she is thriving I wouldn't change her for the world

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
LOL well she sounds, par for the course for the girl's? My Stru, when I got her was pretty un -dynamic? She climbed out of the pile of puppies, crawled into my lap and fell to sleep? I wanted the male standing on top of the puppy plie barking his head off. But all the males, were chosen. So it was a girl or keep looking?

Well she was faking that calm and quite bit. That lasted about a day maybe two? And after that it was welcome to crazy town! And yeah she was on the thin side for maybe three month's? But I would feed her kibble and canned and there was alway's kibble in a bowl. So she ate what she wanted. And her and Gunther my ( Band Dawg) got along great.

I don't remember when she started to fill out? But she did and at some point just started to add muscle? In year three I think she was a solid 65 lbs? I was stunned cuz I swore she was a 55 lb'er? But she always kept her deep chest and tiny waist ... Open Desert Bunny Chasing Fit, and yeah she never caught one but she never stopped trying!

Congratulations and Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi was wondering if it was normal for a boxer puppy to seem like they are shaking after feed according to Google it's normal and goes away after resting (which it does) but wondered what u guys think

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi was wondering if it was normal for a boxer puppy to seem like they are shaking after feed according to Google it's normal and goes away after resting (which it does) but wondered what u guys think
Video would be helpful, but I have never seen or heard of it?
I tried to put video on but it doesn't let me

1 - 20 of 25 Posts