Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has firsthand experience with taking Boxers on the road and RV'ing with them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't have an RV, but I did just drive from Jersey to Nevada and back with my pup. She had some allergy issues and really wasn't a fan of the tractor trailers at rest stops, but otherwise she did great. Unless I really, really needed to stop I just learned to keep on driving if a particular rest area had a large number of tractor trailers. ;-) Ziva has always been great in the car & on this very long road trip she did what she always does in the car: slept the whole time! I was worried about her having a ton of energy to burn off once we got to the hotels at night, but I think the whole experience was tiring enough on its own because when we got to our hotel rooms she would go for a short walk, we'd play in the room a little and she would go right to bed.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We've made several trips to Dallas and back with Zoe (3 1/2 hours each way) she slept most of the time, noisy truck stops were a challenge. She's 6 months old now. Her sleep patterns at night were disrupted (she'd get up at night while we were there) and trouble with not wanting to eat the first trip, but she was fine the second one. As soon as we got home sleeping and eating were fine. Not been brave enough to take both in the car on a trip yet. But we are hoping next year to get a trailer and start making trips with both. I'd be interested in hearing about your adventures.

·
Super Moderator
7,050 Posts
Joann.....aka Bellasmom takes her crew of 4 dogs in the RV almost every weekend. Did I mention she also has 3 kids and 3 grand kids that tag along too! Lol. Brave woman!

My hubby and I are looking at 5th wheels and are considering doing a bunch of camping next summer. That will be with 5 dogs :) the problem we are seeing is that many parks do not allow dogs over 20lbs so you will have to carefully plan where you want to go.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Joann.....aka Bellasmom takes her crew of 4 dogs in the RV almost every weekend. Did I mention she also has 3 kids and 3 grand kids that tag along too! Lol. Brave woman!

My hubby and I are looking at 5th wheels and are considering doing a bunch of camping next summer. That will be with 5 dogs :) the problem we are seeing is that many parks do not allow dogs over 20lbs so you will have to carefully plan where you want to go.
Thanks for the information - I can't quite imagine 4 pups, 3 kids and 3 grandkids - OH MY!! Are the parks you're looking at in Canada or US? It would be so disappointing to not be able to take them, kind of the reason we wanted a trailer so we didn't have to deal with hotels being dog friendly. Better do more research.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Wyatt went a lot last summer with us. Well, everytime we went he went. He liked it, lots of walks, people to watch and pet him, but campgrounds don't allow dogs in any buildings or pools. A few have a fenced in area where they can run around. I felt bad the days we would go to the pool and he was stuck inside (in the ac).

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Max would have no issue with staying inside in the AC - that's his favorite place anyway, Zoe will probably be a different story unless she changes her ways, she is very high energy.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm planning on starting off with a Class C motorhome soon and in 3 - 4 years getting into a Class A and living in it part of the year in nicer climates.

Pet friendly for all size dogs, will be an RV park requirement for me.

Here's a site that allows researching RV parks.
Great Places | RV Parking

The advice I hear... is to ALWAYS call ahead to verify that they are okay with dogs OVER 20 lbs, BEFORE you start driving there.

·
Registered
378 Posts
LOL! Yes, very good idea! When I called hotels I was using bringfido, so I had a pretty good idea of everyone's pet policies. They had one hotel listed as 40 pounds or less, but when I called and asked about their pet policy they made no mention of a maximum weight, so I went ahead and booked it. Brought Z to the check in desk with me and they didnt say a word. Now, had it been a 20 pound weight limit it may have been another story, lol

·
Registered
580 Posts
My fiancée and I have also been actively looking at a camper for next summer. This year we tented with herc and it sucked!! But before we moved we stayed in my parents camper all the time, Hercules absolutely loved it and did really well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update...

Bought the motorhome... Going to take it on a test run next weekend with the Knuckleheads. We shall see how the Knuckleheads do. :crazyeye:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Very nice! I hope the Knuckleheads appreciate the rolling digs :dance:

·
Registered
2 Posts
actually, I was dreaming of such trailer and long trips across the country, however I still don't have time for such journey, unfortunately

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do understand you, I was dreaming of the same thing, however the only thing I have is my 7 seats car for the whole family, full trunk and special cell phone booster in order to remain online all the time because of my work;( Actually, it's not that bad, at least I can go not only to short term trips, but in long ones as well. I remember the times when we weren't able to travel because of my work, I need to be connected and be ready to get in touch with various clients even when I have free days. So, the cell phone booster became really important thing in our trips. Thanks God, I discovered Palmgear review and found out that such thing even exists.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts