Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of the day today I helped a boxer cross over the bridge.  It is always a sad way to end the day, but for anyone who has lost a pet this way it is sometimes easier emotionally to wait until the end of the day when there are not so many people there......

I am sharing this story because it made me feel hopeful and that is because I had medical documents to prove that she was 14 1/2 years old and that is of great years for a Boxer.

I actually took a picture of her with the owners permission, but decided not to post it since it was a photo at her final hour.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
It is very difficult to let go.   This boxer must have had very good care to reach such an age.  How fortunate for the owner and the boxer that you were there to help them both.  I can feel the compassion and sadness in your posting.  This must be one of the hardest parts of your work.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sharon you were an angel for that family and the boxer that passed.  There is no place so close to God as at the passing of a soul.  I've been in your clients place and I'm sure you helped them so much.  Bless you for being there for them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with Kate, you were an angel to be there for them.  I hope you send them a copy of that photo.  When my yorkie was being put down we took a few photos holding her and loving her.  It was late at night and one of the hardest things I've ever done in my entire life.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I can only hope that Samson lives to that age Sharon...What a sad way to end the day, I can only imagine. But it sounds like you had a lot of compassion for these people and believe me, they appreciated that...Hugs to you for being there for them and that lovely boxer....

·
Registered
291 Posts
It is a sad story, we are all so fortunate to have people like you in the world to help us through difficult times like these. At the same time hope for us that our dogs will live long full lives against all the odds.
You are in my thoughts as well as the with the family.

Stephanie (the better part of nate 487, cannot change my username)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I will tell you from personal experience the owner did truly appreciate your compassion and empathy. I had been going to the same vet for over 15 years, she was a wonderful person and an excellent vet. When it came time for me and my husband to help Buster cross, she had her husband administer the injections. He tried to be compassionate, but I could tell he wasn't being very sincere. It just really hurt me that at the time I needed my vet the most, she sent in her husband to do the job. I was an emotional wreck as it was, I kind of figured after everything me, my vet, and Buster went through together, she would at least help me through the end. She just really let me down. Although she was an excellent vet, I can not go back to her office. Now I have the great deed of finding another vet....not too much fun. So, yes I'd be willing to bet that the owner of that boxer appreciated everything you did for them.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
oh sharon, i am sorry your day ended this way-but this boxer lead a very long life. No time is ever a good time as the owner to ever let go (everyone here knows our boxers own us...we dont own them:) ) my thoughts and prayers are with you, and also the poor family that had to let their cherished family memeber go.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So glad you were there to help the family, I am sure that they were thankful for you compassion.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate everyone's kind words.  I have also been on the other side of the table with Jazz ...(my lab prior to Fiona).  When I tell someone "I know how you feel".....I really know how they feel and I think that most people sense that.

I guess I just have always known that I would probably not have Fiona for that kind of time frame and it made me feel light hearted to imagine spending 14 more years with her.

Trust me it is amazing what goes on in a clinic on a daily basis.....I could fill PAGES of thread!!!!  :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts