Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, have a question that I was hoping others might have some insight. Our boxer is an aggressive chewer and can destroy even the toughest of toys. He's actually been able to work a knot a rope toy loose and was able to get to the squeaker of a Tough Toy (10 rating) in about 30 minutes. As a result, he's turned his chewing to plants and drip lines and trees in the backyard.

Any recommendations on what we can use to help this urge? I fear Nylabones and rawhide chews and some of the other toys I hear can damage teeth. Anyone have luck with antlers or the bully sticks (or whatever fun name they try to call a bull penis)? Feel like those could be just as bad of not worse than the others. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Duke loved bully bones! But I found it took him mere seconds to get done one big one.. Ending up with a canon butt... But most people here like giving their dogs bully bones, safer than a rawhide.

What about a jolly ball or the kong toys? Duke has a jolly ball he plays only outside with he swings that thing around like its nobody's business!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Roxie lives for bully sticks. And they are totally safe ! They can get quite pricey though, so I wouldn't use those for every day use.

Any Cuz toys have proven pretty good for us. With no stuffing or squeaker, she wasn't as interested in destroying them!
And definitely agree with the Jolly Ball. Roxie's has lasted through 2 years of intense play!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had the Kong version of the Jolly ball and he found a way to gnaw the handle off haha. I'll try the Jolly ball.

Kong toys do seem to work well, had a lot of luck with them so far but he tends to get bored quickly.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Welcome to BF. Thank goodness our boxer isn't all that aggressive when chewing at least not anymore. He can shred rope toys and basically we don't use those anymore because we would find the strings in his poo and don't want them balling up in his intestines. We have a ball made by JW with a hard plastic bone thru it, it held up pretty well. We have also used himalayan chews, those keep him busy. I have recently bought him a bully stick but haven't tried it yet. I do like these bones I get at petsmart with a filler in it, either bacon cheese, yogurt , they seem to last and when the filler is gone I crush up some of his kibble mix it with a little plain yogurt and freeze it then he can have at it again. He also just like it even when its empty. It a femur bone. I think made Dentleys,

Dentley's™ Nature's Chew Stuffed Femur Bone Dog Treat
$9.99
Reg: $10.99

·
Registered
22 Posts
The toy Mack likes the most is one that I made with a plastic ball, jingle bells, and a microfiber towel.

It looks like a rag doll, it makes noise, and he loves it.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Emmett doesn't destroy toys. Only his bed. :doh:
Sounds like Emmett might get some tough love. We took Kai's away and he had to sleep not he plastic try of his crate for awhile. Then we went to a kong crate bed that last a year and basically started to fall apart I guess from washing. Now we have a primo crate pad with tie downs and its good to go and easy to keep clean. Next dog will also get a primo first!.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My boxer is not allowed a bed anymore, don't know what she has against them but she just ripped them up. She sleeps on a memory foam bath mat from Costco which has lasted over a year.

We tied a jolly ball to a rope and hung it from a tree, she will play with it until we stop her and has ruined the grass underneath it! other toys she loves .. 2 teenage boys!

·
Registered
132 Posts
My boxer is not allowed a bed anymore, don't know what she has against them but she just ripped them up. She sleeps on a memory foam bath mat from Costco which has lasted over a year.

We tied a jolly ball to a rope and hung it from a tree, she will play with it until we stop her and has ruined the grass underneath it! other toys she loves .. 2 teenage boys!

I got a Primo Pad. No more destroying beds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
There are some new toys we will try from the feedback on here.

We have one strong chewer- he can destroy a tennis ball in about a minute or less. We gave up on those long ago.

We've heard bad things about rawhide so we stay away from it. Our boys liked the real bones, but our vet said they can break their teeth and to avoid them.

We usually buy Kong toys for them now, either the black or red rubber for the solid products- they like the dual tugger either for them to play with each other, or with us.

We like the kong wubbas and some of their plush toys. The plush toys we know will be destroyed at some point, but they like them and the squeakers. They can last a good while depending on which toy is their favorite...it's usually the one the other has. :)

We get them the plush toys sold at Kohl's if they don't have plastic eyes or other things that could come off and be swallowed. We have to watch them more with these and throw them out once they are torn and the stuffing can be picked out- or starts to fall out.

Depending on the age we have gotten rid of toys and are now having to watch that our puppy doesn't try to get anything too hard that belongs to the older boys; and that the older boys don't get the softer rubber chew toys for the puppy.

I've seen the bully boxes advertised but have not tried them. I'd be interested to know if anyone has feedback on these.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I give my dogs Benebones and Nylabones they like one called the dinosaur bone too by Benebones there is a wishbone version too. I have given all my boxers Nylabones and never had one break a tooth. My dogs have never needed one dental cleaning either since they get to chew all the time. I take the bones away when they chew the ends off then they are dangerous. I tried pig ears at one time and one of my dogs got it all soft and slobbery and tried to swallow the whole thing so she almost choked on it so no more of those. My Vet told me no natural bones at all. As far toys go I just look for ones I think will be tough but so far there are none I found besides Kongs that they won't eventually destroy just have to watch them!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I gave my last Boxer a basketball that had been a bit extra inflated. He would push that thing all over the yard trying to get a good "bite" on it but it was just a bit too big even for his giant Boxer mouth. I think it lasted about 4 months before he was finally able to puncture it with a tooth but then he loved it even more as he could bite right down and shake the hell out of it.
A friend of mine actually got an old tire off his tent trailer for his pit bull who use to destroy any "dog toys", that thing really was the ultimate chew toy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dog was crazy for basketballs and soccer balls, too.

He would destroy or get bored with most fake bones pretty quickly, but he loved his Nylabone Galileo. It lasted for years, and he chewed on it nightly for a years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts