Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live right next to the beach and was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with saltwater affecting your boxers coat/skin. This will be the first summer I could introduce him to the ocean and any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'd be really concerned about them drinking the water. I have heard of issues.. I'd be leary myself seeing as my guy will lap up any water and that's an issue in itself especially stagnet water.. but the ocean contains way too much salt for their bodies to handle.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be really concerned about them drinking the water. I have heard of issues.. I'd be leary myself seeing as my guy will lap up any water and that's an issue in itself especially stagnet water.. but the ocean contains way too much salt for their bodies to handle.
Thanks 4paws.

Yeah, I could definitely see that as a problem. I bring a sports bottle where ever I go. Trained him from a puppy if we are out and about and he is thirsty he drinks from the sports bottle.

I have already had him down to the river which is salt water and he never drinks it. Just haven't had him in the water yet, and I know boxers tend to have sensitive skin, so that would be my primary concern.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My boxer always throws up after a visit to the seaside, I think its the sea water but it could be the Barbecued food. I don't think it affects her skin too badly but I think they get dehydrated either from the sea water or the wind and sun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts