Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So there is no inflammation or swelling that I can see, and it's no longer an open wound. There are no discharges coming from the site anymore. It's like it's all dried up and sealed up. It's all black, dry, and leathery. I'm not trying to argue or debate with you, i'm just trying to wrap my ahead around whether the dog is in danger specifically regrading the black area(s) under her skin from the tumor oozing all last week. I called my old vet's office yesterday and they said they could probably see her this afternoon, but the Dr who helped me on the phone the other day won't be back until Monday. Would you take her today to see a different vet in their office? Or wait till Monday when the vet to whom I spoke to returns? I think i've made my decision that I am going to leave my current vet regardless.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I think you should get to your old vet as soon as possible being he is going out of town. It would be better if he could see what Zoe is dealing with. And it sounds like he is at least interested in helping you

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I took Zoe to her old vet late Friday afternoon, and I am so glad I did! They did a thorough exam on her and 2 different vets looked at her tumor site. They said the black areas are her natural skin color/pigment, not necrosis. I provided the biopsy summary to them but they said that the necrosis that it mentions was most likely contained within the mass/tumor itself, which is now pretty much gone. It's like her body absorbed the tumor. Has anybody had any experience like this with cancer? If so, how long before the tumor grew back? Could it have possibly been a really bad infection?

I also had them do chest xrays to check her lungs. They said that as far as they could tell, the cancer has not spread to her lungs. They said she isn't a candidate for surgery because there is nothing to operate on!! I am so glad I didn't let that other vet cut on her!!

We left with gabapentin and galliprant. They said it's a quality of life thing from here till her end days. I am so grateful and relieved that the site is healing, and I get to spend some time with her! The next thing I want to research are natural/homeopathic dog cancer remedies.

See attached a pic from Friday when we got home from the vet, and a pic of how the site looked today.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
So glad you took her to another Vet! Sometimes it makes you wonder if some Vets are in business only to make money or if their goal is really to help pets and their owners in times of need. Its unfortunate but that seems true. I am glad you got some better news and it seems likely you will have some more time with your girl and that's good news. I am so glad you didn't got thru with that surgery.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Wow, it is a mystery to me but that site looks very good. I am glad we have all remedies and surgeries available for our pups however I think some vets like to cut and its not always in the dogs best interest. Its good when you have a vet that isn't afraid to openly discuss all the options. Especially in a old dog as for them I feel surgery is more traumatic (I'm not talking broken bones, or easy fixes). I hope it all goes well and that you continue to have time together.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
She is still doing very good. We think it's the galliprant but she has so much more energy and is moving around very well! It reminds me of her younger years, and i hope it continues! As far as the spot goes, it is a mystery to us as well. I'm wondering if it was infected really badly? Nonetheless, we are very glad that we didn't go through with the surgery as well. I will update this post if her condition worsens or if the spot starts to grow back.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is the beautiful Dimples, who left us aged 12 after being diagnosed with osteosarcoma in her L hip. It was so rapidly progressing. We had her on pain relief for only a few weeks after diagnosis, as she would be shaking with pain at times. It’s a terrible disease- completely unexpected- we were just celebrating her birthday a few weeks before and saying how great she was doing and hoping to get a few more good years with her.
sorry to hear your girl has this crappy thing. I hope she is comfortable.
Best wishes to you all xx
Dimples left us in 2015. She was ❤❤❤
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Companion dog

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Here is the beautiful Dimples, who left us aged 12 after being diagnosed with osteosarcoma in her L hip. It was so rapidly progressing. We had her on pain relief for only a few weeks after diagnosis, as she would be shaking with pain at times. It’s a terrible disease- completely unexpected- we were just celebrating her birthday a few weeks before and saying how great she was doing and hoping to get a few more good years with her.
sorry to hear your girl has this crappy thing. I hope she is comfortable.
Best wishes to you all xx
Dimples left us in 2015. She was ❤❤❤
View attachment 136909
Love her sweet face so sorry you lost her no matter how much time we get with them its just never enough.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I appreciate all of the comments and advice from everybody, but this thing is far from over. I had put a call into Zoe's old vet who treated her up until last year (we moved one county over last year) a few days ago and he called me yesterday afternoon and we talked for a good 30 minutes. He asked me to email him the biopsy while I was on the phone with him so he could see it. Honestly, I got more out of him than I'm getting out of my current vet so I'm actually thinking about making an appt with him to handle Zoe's care for the remainder of her days. He said he knows my current vet, and he didn't say anything bad about him. But I get the impression that he's very busy because his communication has been very poor during this situation with Zoe, and I haven't been bugging him at all. After he gave me the news last Tuesday, I called his practice the next day and left a message for him to call me because I had questions regarding what we were going to do. He never called me back, and instead answered a few questions for my wife when she took her last Friday to have the sutures from the biopsy removed.

When Zoe's old vet called me yesterday, he said that there is no fix for Zoe's situation, which I understand, but he did offer some clarity on where we go from here. He said surgeries of any sort, with this type of cancer, age of the dog, and location of the tumor can turn south real quick. He said healing is the biggest battle. He said the first thing he would do is a chest xray. He said if it has spread to her chest, there is no reason to spend another dime on anything. By the time he called me back yesterday, I had already canceled Zoe's surgery that was supposed to be today. He said that was ok for now, that he would not do any surgery yet. But he said the issue that has to be addressed is the dead necrotic tissue, that it can't be left there, and that we would have to do something about it.

What have you guys done regarding dead/necrotic flesh? Is surgery the only option? I've attached some pics of what it currently looks like. She's still her happy old self, tail wags, eats 2 meals day, poops good. But I need to handle this tissue issue next.

I hope this post makes sense as i'm typing it on my phone. I am exhausted. All of this seems like a bad dream. It seems like I've known of her cancer for a month now, and I just found out last Tuesday.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts