Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I've already posted... Prada has sarcoptic mange. I'm really worried about Reeko/Nico contracting it as I know how contagious it is. Does anyone have any idea as to what I should do as far as prevention? Should I have him administered a shot of Ivermectin? I've been cleaning my house non-stop & washing Prada's blankets & vacuuming daily - since I know the little buggers can live between 4 & 21 days w/out a host. I've also heard that a homeopathic approach, Psorinum, can be used as a preventative.. but I'm simply not sure where I could pick some of this up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Re: Sarcoptic Mange - Advise?

That is kind of a tough one because the first thought would be to try and not let them have contact with each other.  Of course you would be the general one having contact with all of them so you have to be sure to wash your hands well after touching Prada and before touching Reeko.

The mites prefer to live on the dog and generally that is where they will stay, but it is true they can live for several days off of the host animal and in the environment. They must have cool and moist environments to live a full life span off the host, which is about 22 days. At normal room temperature in a home... they will live from 2 to 6 days.

I guess it also depends on what type of heartworm preventative Reeko is on.  You could possibly change him to taking Revolution until Prada is clear because it has an agent to prevent Sarcoptic or you could change him to receiving Ivermectin....

How many more injections does Prada have?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prada has one more injection on the 24th of this month. The vet said she's looking great now, but he wants to be safe.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am sure by the time she has her last injection and Reeko comes home.....(just clean everything good/wash and stuff) you will be fine.....

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much, Sharon. :)

Another question... I'm due to have Prada spayed on the 20th. Since her immune system is already compromised from the mange, should I be worried about doing this? I don't want any problems. But, since Nico isn't fixed either... I'm worried about the obvious... and we certainly don't want that! And I don't feel like waiting on her & getting him fixed right away... since I want him to become more comfortable/less stressed about his new situation.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Ya know sarcoptic mange does not really compromise the immune system like you see with Demodectic mange.  It is what people use to treat it that compromise it....especially the dip products.  IMO you would be fine to proceed with spaying her as long as she is feeling fine.  I will not spay while a dog is having an outbreak of Demo but I have with signs of sarcoptic......no issues!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, good -- thank you sooo much, Sharon! You're an angel! That lifted a big weight from my shoulders there. :)

Have you ever heard of Psorinum? Like I said above, I've heard of it as a preventative. I was thinking of giving this to Nico (if I can ever find some). *heh* Sulphur is also used & is probably more readily accessable. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have never heard of that product (sorry).....We use lyme-sulfer dip alot but that is generally for treatment not as a preventative.....as a preventative I usually recommend Revolution or Ivermectin as heartworm preventatives and then it also covers sarcoptic.....You know it just stinks that your dog contracted it....but as a general rule of thumb....it is not very common for them to get it!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I honestly think that she probably got it from being outside on our property. Since our next door neighbor has quite a few cats that are all wild, un-fixed & are never taken to the vet...*grumbles*... so they're probably infested with mites of all kinds! I'll ask our vet for some Revolution/Ivermectin then. Thank you again, Sharon. :thumbup:

Edit :: Actually, I think Cindi said he was already on heartworm preventative... I'll have to ask what kind.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry Sara --- not trying to hijack your thread but......

I'm confused by this statement:  Demodectic mange.  It is what people use to treat it that compromise it....especially the dip products.  

Is that the puppy mange they sometimes get from the mom?   Lulu had one tiny spot on her head and the vet suggested the dips 3x.   Are the dips bad?   Lulu has had 2 (if they are bad, I did NOT know) and she does act differently for a day after the dip.   She's cleared up great, but the vet suggests she still have the third dip.    If this is bad, and she has no signs of the mange, do I really need to do it?

Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="teewee\";p=\"92128":2ooz5f0f]Sorry Sara --- not trying to hijack your thread but......

I'm confused by this statement:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My_Harleigh\";p=\"92129 said:
Hey Sara, just curious, are you changing Reeko's name to Nico?
Yes, I've always liked the name & well, this seemed like the perfect opportunity. The name comes from one of my favorite horses, Nico, a Friesian Sporthorse (you can see him HERE). :)

Nico is pronounced just like Reeko (Nee-Ko).

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK... so, Cindi said that he was on Heartguard this year past, but due to it being so cold this winter, she was told she could take him off of it.

So, that means I'll have to get him tested before I can get the meds, correct? Which do you prefer, Sharon? Revolution?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My_Harleigh\";p=\"92136 said:
That works out well since it sounds like his name now. And that horse is GORGEOUS!
Yep, I like it. And I know -- isn't he just beautiful?! If I had the $$, I'd have one of his babies by now! :love:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
PradazPurdy\";p=\"92137 said:
OK... so, Cindi said that he was on Heartguard this year past, but due to it being so cold this winter, she was told she could take him off of it.

So, that means I'll have to get him tested before I can get the meds, correct? Which do you prefer, Sharon? Revolution?
Yes test him first.....Personally I prefer the Ivermectin either in injections or by mouth......Although Revolution is a great product....there is a little error room on it.....

It is a little off topic for the mange, but here is a great old thread on it..............

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... 7045#47045

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, that's good to know... I think I'll stick w/the Ivermectin. Thanks again! :)

It's called Iverhart, I believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you gotten bit by the little buggers and what do they look like on her?  Jax has a skin issue and we have been treating him with the lime sulfur dip.  They don't see mites under a scope but we are getting bit too.  It itches like hell for a few nights then goes away on us? The dips have helped but we're not sure if it's totally gone.  We think he got something from the dog park?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, like I said - I've been really cleaning like crazy. So, luckily we haven't gotten any mites from her.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts