Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try giving Sadie some Sardines for the health benefits I've heard that they provide. We have some sardines in olive oil, do you guys think that would be alright? The ingredients are: brisling sardines, olive oil, salt. I was a little worried that it may be too much fat with the olive oil. Also, how much should I put in and how often? She weigh's 40lbs now. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I like the sardines in water, but the olive oil should be fine too.    I used about two little filets per dog then mash them up into the kibble.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"69120":p99b0edm]I like the sardines in water, but the olive oil should be fine too.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kiahsmom\";p=\"69124 said:
Thanks Heather, I finally got some sardines in water today and was wondering how many to feed her tonight.  How often do you feed them? Also, how do you store the rest, heard they smell pretty bad.
EAT the rest!!! They are so good and very healthy too! LOL

Sardines are the type of thing, you either love em' or hate em'!  :lol:

I may just give her one or two and try to drain most of the oil off. I'll pick some up in water as well too feed on a more regular basis. I was thinking 3x a week or so...Heather, how often do you add to their kibble?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I did it every other day.  Now I use salmon oil because they are on RAW - and its easier to squirt oil right over the kibble.

In the winter months, I would do it more since its drier out and the oils help with keeping the coat and skin moist.

·
Registered
412 Posts
We buy canned sardines, mackeral, atlantic salmon. We try to get it packed in water. But, olive oil will not hurt them, what I usually do is just run them open in the can under tap water to get some of the olive oil out.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I prefer the sardines in olive oil because the are less stinky than the ones in water.  :lol: I feed Maddie the whole can, and she gets that once a week.  :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Wow, Kiah is still licking her bowl, she absolutely loves them.  Don't think I could eat them myself though, think I will stick with Cod.  Just will put the other two in a baggie and give them to her on Monday.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, yea, my 2 just love sardine day, which is twice a week for them....I split the can between the two of them and they are packed in olive oil, didn't see any in water, but I'll look next time

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i mak emy bf give the sardines to the girls...i cant stand the smell!! We used the ones in water...but if lisa says the ones in olive oil dont stink as bad, then i may have to try those!! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
What are the health  reasons for giving them sardines, Its funny, although Bailey is my baby, I havnt really looked into anything other than her normal kibble for things she might like, untill I started reading this forum.  I started giving all of my furry babys Brewers Yeast, although the cat wont eat her food with it in it.(and she is the one who really needs it) Now you all are talking about sardines!!!!! Tell me more 8O  :D  :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts