Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i wanted to update everyone that we had to put sasha (rotti mix) down last night :cry: . We went out of town on friday to go to OK to celebrate my nephews birthday. When we picked Sasha and Savannah up from the sitters, the sitter said that she wouldnt eat and had been vomiting and had been acting "wierd" since i had dropped her off. We brought her home and she couldnt control her movements and wouldnt keep anything down. My fear was parvo, and we took her to the e-vet last night and myattempted to treat she would only have about a 10-15 percent chance of living. Instead of letting her suffer we decided to put her down. It was a hard decision, and poor savannah wanders around looking for her new friend. It saddens me to think my adorable puppy wont get to grow up, but i hope that she atleast was able to enjoy the time she was out of animal control and in our home. she will be missed!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Oh no Andrea, im so sorry!!!

such sadness in a short period of time for you...

hang in there!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Andrea, I am so very sorry to hear this....My heart goes out to you. As if you haven't gone thru enuf already.....Sending some hugs to all of you right now...Run free lovely Sasha, you will be missed.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am very sorry It is a hard but sometimes because we love them so much we have to take nasty pain decisions, they are only here for some time we have to understand this but as you said at least the time they are with us we try to make it fun/happy for them I am sure you did.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this.  :cry:  What a rough year you have had. I'm happy Sasha got to spend her last weeks with you and not in some kennel. It is such a shame. Godspeed sweet girl....

·
Registered
616 Posts
As hard as that decision was, I hope you know in your heart it was the right one.  She is no longer in pain and is no longer suffering.  I am so sorry for your loss.  I hope that Savannah doesn't mope around too long!  Maybe the two of you can help each other through this difficult time.  I am also glad that Sasha was able to have you around during her last few hours!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! it is hard, we all miss her!! I am almost scared to try the whole puppy thing again, as my luck with pups hasnt been going so well with the young ones. Savannah i feel needs a companion dog, she is starting to revert back to the shy/almost scared dog she was before we got sasha. I went home and completly cleaned the house and disinfected everything i possibly could, after we let our girl go. My boyfriend is already talking about a new pup, but i just cant do it right now. he has even tried to "bribe" me by saying we could get another boxer, where as before he stated one boxer was enough!!  :)  this made me smile. I told him to give me some time and then we would discuss it. He worries that Savvy will go back to her old ways with out another animal to romp and play with. I am just not sure what to do. I want to wait a while, since i know that parvo can be transmitted via our backyard and anywhere else sasha was. Lord knows i dont want to go through it again.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm very sorry you had to let her go - it's really sad. I really wish you lots of luck whatever you decide to do next - you've had more than your fair share of sadness.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Andrea, Savannah will come around. It will just take her some time. She is experiencing a loss just like you are. If you are not ready for a pup, then don't get one. You will know when you are ready. Boxers are great "only dogs" as well.
I don't know how long the parvo virus actually lives. The vet can probably let you know when it's safe to bring another pup into the home.
Good luck to you, and keep us updated on how Savvy does.

Lisa

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what Tootsie said...You will know when it's time, but don't do it to try and please someone else! Savvy will be fine, she's grieving too, poor baby...This is a new one on me, but I'd be interested to know what your vet says about how long the virus can linger, esp in the yard and such....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i know savvy will be fine eventually, she just needs her time to "grieve". even though we only had sasha a week, savvy got really attached in the end. On to the parvo issue. I finally got in touch with her vet ( i didnt want to talk to a tech, call me stubborn...) and what was explained to me was that parvo "typically" lives in the enviornment for 6 months, but that isnt a definite period of time. Obviously some people bring a puppy back into the home sooner with no issues, where as some will wait longer and still have issue. it can vary from case to case.  He said though that because we had sasha for such a short period of time, that if we wanted to introduce a new puppy we should make sure it is fully vaccinated before it is brought home, which is understable, or at least 5-6months of age since the immune system is a little stronger by that time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts