Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ok, I dont need that much since I have just one puppy to give it to. I found the scaled down version of yours...

1 pound cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
Pinch of salt

I will give it a try. What about this recipe makes it fattening? The other recipe seams more fatty..

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
everything combined...the raw eggs, and raw meat, the molasses..you can totally try the other one..I was just explained why the recipe is different and I know dogs LOVE peanut Butter and cheese, so it may be a real winner..I dont think you can go wrong either way

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, I dont need that much since I have just one puppy to give it to. I found the scaled down version of yours...

1 pound cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
Pinch of salt

I will give it a try. What about this recipe makes it fattening? The other recipe seams more fatty..
both add weight but the one with the cream cheese and pb is a higher caliore mix I got it when I first got Brandi and she was 26 lbs under weight course I didnt stop/slow down on these soon enough and had to get her to lose 6 lbs LOL at one point she was getting 3 a day and I so should have cut her back to one a day 2 months before I did but I still give them one every now and again just as a treat since they love them

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
LOL It will def happen and quick too, if your not thinking about it
Yea I was just in the habit of reaching in the frzr and tossing her one all the time without really LOOKING at her then at her vet visit he was hey what in heavens name are you feeding this chunk? oops :embar:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd like to try the on cream cheese one but my question is how my cc h wheat germ? The whole jar? What size jar of on, the small one? Flaked oats, can it be quick oats?
Hopefully you can clarify since you make it. I only got details on the other version.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think it is a 6 oz jar but it could be 8 oz it is the smaller one on the shelf at the store and yes the whole jar and I use plain regular oatmeal but have used quick oats in a pinch and its a 12 oz jar of PB the whole thing I do not seperate the egg yolks either just add the whole egg

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Yea I was just in the habit of reaching in the frzr and tossing her one all the time without really LOOKING at her then at her vet visit he was hey what in heavens name are you feeding this chunk? oops :embar:
Lol that's too funny Carol!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think it is a 6 oz jar but it could be 8 oz it is the smaller one on the shelf at the store and yes the whole jar and I use plain regular oatmeal but have used quick oats in a pinch and its a 12 oz jar of PB the whole thing I do not seperate the egg yolks either just add the whole egg
Ok thanks and glad you could read my stupid kindle auto make its own language typing lol. I am going to get this stuff shopping this weekend and try them!

·
Registered
982 Posts
I make the one with cream cheese all time my dogs love them... Plus less sugar and ingredients the better.. As long as your dog is ok with dairy (aka cream cheese) then i'd use this one easy breezy smell yummy to!! I use regular quick oats. Speaking of which i need to make more.. :) :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
297 Posts
I made these tonight and they were verrrrry gooey and impossible to roll into balls so what I did was add 2 packets of unflavored Knox gelatine and mixed that in real well then put it in the fridge for about a hour. The gelatine helped firm up the mixture so I could roll it into balls much easier. The gelatine is completely safe and even good for them, it helps with their joints! Just thought I would share this tip for those of you who are making or want to make this :) Mine are in the freezer now and I wil be trying them out with my boxer pup tomorrow for the first time!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am gonna a make them this weekend, getting stuff tomorrow. I'll be sure to get some gelatin too. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I did! They were gooey. I used a few less eggs and one pack of gelatin. My on jar was also I think like 18 oz and that was the small jar so I hope it was right lol. My wheat germ came in a 12 oz box so I used half. For all I know I made my own recipe ROFL. They are in the freezer now and she'll get one tomorrow. How did your pup like em?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Eh, your recipe is close enough. I think its right. they are pretty gooey even after the gelatine sets so im sure you didit right lol My pup LOVED them. I made them more like 2" balls vs. the 1" it called for so they take him a minute or two to chew up and eat but he absolutely loved them! I have him 3 today. I make this kind and another kind. He liked both. Im not sure though how many Im supposed to give per day?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Beats me, I just gave her one today as a treat. Were they supposed to be one inch? I made mine like reg meatball size 1 1/2 to 2 inches I guess. Well then I guess when I give her one I am actually giving two lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
They said to make them 1" but I made mine big too..like 2-2.5" Lol Ohwell. He eats them fine and LOVES them. Im guna post a thread about it with a pic :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh my, this looks like Harris would love it. He does need a few pounds since we rescued him. He is bony with hips jutting out, spine showing, and you can easily see all his ribs.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts