Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Savannah hasnt poo'd!!**update**

3K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Barbs2Ks 
#1 ·
For the past 3 days Savannah has not poo'd!! i dont understand..does anyone know what i can possibly try to do to make her poo?? Her vet isnt open on Wed (it is surgery only) and we cant get an appointment until Saturday. There has been no change to the food sheis givin or her enviornment.

#4 ·
Re: Savannah hasnt poo'd!!

she could have an impaction of some sort either constipation or she could have possibly ingested something that is impacting her intestines... I know this happens with horses which causes colic (i dont know if dogs can get colic) colic can be fatal in horses if not treated. I would call your vet.

Keep in mind im only basing this on my past knowledge with horses. If she has ingested something that is blocking her then making her stool looser is not going to help... it is just going to cause her to feel extremely uncomfortable :(

I will be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers! give her a kiss for me and tell her to feel better soon!

#5 ·

Well normally not pooping means constipation or an impaction. An impaction can happen even with humans and even we can die from it. You didn't say she's stopped eating right?? She isn't SUPER THIRSTY? If she's eating... it has to go somewhere... unless she's been vomiting... those are all signs of having an impaction. I'd call the e-vet or your vet and get some clues... three days is a long time... if she's still eating and isn't having any symptoms of impaction... I have no clue what is going on!?? Unless she's pooping when your not looking!??  :wink:

#6 ·

There are laxatives and stool softeners that you can give to dogs, such as Metamucil, but they all say "Do not use in animals that have fecal impaction or intestinal obstruction." So, I wouldn't feel comfortable administering them, especially if Savannah has been eating. Do you see or feel any lumps, or is she really sensitive if you feel around her belly? I would call the vet and see if they have any suggestions for you until they can see her. Maybe they can work her in today.

#10 ·

she is eating fine...drinking hasnt changed either. We have to walk them for them to go potty so i am able to watch her... our bakyard is 90% concrete so she doesnt go out there. She isnt out of my sight b/c i still cant trust them to be alone with out getting into something so i dont think its an obstuction, but who knows.

#11 ·

When Ekim was constipated the vet had me get baby suppositories, they worked well. They are not harmful at all. Don't let the constipation go to long as a bowel obstruction can lead to a lot of problems.

#14 ·

Poor Savannah, that's got to be uncomfortable. Just curious, did she get any unusual chewies for Christmas like rawhide?? I think I've read that these can sometime cause obstructions? Is there an on-call vet you can leave a message for? After 3 days I'd be worried sick.

#17 ·

Savannah poop'd!! YAY :dance: I found out that she hadnt eatin at all on Saturday and only one meal on sunday evening when i started feeding her again. I was up in Oklahoma, and my brother (he was watching the girls) just told me tonight that both her and Reese wouldnt eat anything while we were gone...poor babies. I guess since she hadnt eatin anything it took a few days for her system to get back on track. I still plan on having the vet check her out...just to be safe.

#21 ·
Yay!! Doing the poopy dance for ya over here!  :dance:

That makes perfect sense now. Buster was the same way when I went away. Wouldn't eat, wouldn't poop! Glad to hear everything seems to be working again!  :D

#22 ·
Glad Savannah is doing well...I am late on reading this post...Totally makes sense that if she was not eating well she would not be pooping well....:)  

Wanted to reply for any future problems that normally a dog that is impacted will not eat or drink, they generally lay around and feel bad because they will run fever from the waste (toxins) staying within the body.  This is also normally going on along with alot of vomiting (and the vomit will smell like poop really bad), it is hard to mistake the odor!!!!  

The best thing to give dogs to help the process of going is plain Mineral Oil.  I have a big bottle of it at work and I generally would send 3 - 3cc syringes home to be given 2 to 3 days in a row for a dog her size.  At home, you would do about 2 to 3 tablespoons either in the mouth or on the food once a day and see how it goes....Usually if things are not moving along in 3 days you need to go in and have checked.  You dont want to give a ton of it because you will end up having the runs going on.....It is also safe to add this to the food once a week for a dog that generally has a very hard stool (which most boxers dont :) ) to work as a stool softener....

#23 ·
glad savannah is her "regular" self again! no eating = no pooping, makes sense to me!

#25 ·
Good news Andrea...I wasn't aware that you had been gone, or I would have thought of that as well....Buck used to starve himself when we boarded him & Tia...He lost 10 lbs once.... 8O Glad that Savvy is back to normal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.