Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Popping in to say hello. This is my 6 month old boy, Floyd. He’s my pride and joy!

Tips and advise on leash walking would be great. Floyd pulls when he sees other dogs/humans and is getting a rather big boy now.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Ah well I do like Patricia McConnell, and do I luv the line about walking at the speed of death. :)

But counting her, that makes "Two," trainers that I am aware of that would recommend a "Harness?" Counting her, that makes "two," trainer's that I am aware of that would suggest a "Harness," to train a dog to walk, "properly on a lease leash." It works with Puppies, it works with Dogs and it works with Rescues.

If you do"Rescue, Work" they will not "let you use a Harness, and certainly not a Prong Collar, on there dog's. They use Slip Lead Leashes only and most of them ... don't know how to use one Correctly?

Harnesses or "engineering," notwithstanding, designed for a dog to "Pull." For the most part with most people a "Harness," is going to give an owner results, similar to this.:

I think you'll have better success with a Slip Lead Leash, and yes it can be kind of tricky to use at first (I suppose) but in the long run you'll gain a better understanding how to "work," with your dog.

I do have a rather long winded thread on the "nuances," of a slip lead leash here.:

I tried to explain what I did with varying degrees of success? But it also has links to the next viable option a "Prong Collar," pretty much most 'effective trainers," that you would find that could actually help you with your dog, will use/recommend one or the other.

But I also found another spin on using a SLL by Robert Cabal (he works with rescues is one of "The Malinois," guys in the country. Here is starting Leash work using a long line and I guess that is an extra long SLL?

I have never seen such a thing? But that is not as important as the starting concept which he shows, "How a SLL," should fit on the dog, the form a "P" thing. And the dog sits in front of him "now," getting the dog to your sit at your side is another 'technique," THe Hell Flip, I used Larry Khron, to teach Bella that one (my Boxer/Pit)! It worked out great for that.

But that is down the road. Welcome aboard in any case and he is handsome. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.