Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxer just turned one the first of February.  We first got him about May of last year (he was 9 weeks old).  The best little boy.  We took him everywhere with us and he was very friendly and sociable.  We had him fixed about the age of 6 months, and after we did this he is now TERRIFIED of people....especially men.  Does anyone else have this problem or suggestions on how to fix this??  And, NO, he has never been hit or beaten....he is our baby (he sleeps in our bed under the covers with his head on the pillow)  What should we try??????

·
Registered
314 Posts
My family has all male dogs, but we always have our females spayed(if we ever had one) and we dont alter our males.  So I havent had this problem.  I am going to be getting duke neutered soon, bc we are wanting to foster other boxer's for our local rescue.  So I really hope this doesnt happen to him.  BUt there are lots of experienced people on here that can help.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome to the forum, your boy is very cute!....can't imagine why getting him fixed would cause him to be terrified of people, but someone else will  have suggestions for you...stick around this is a great forum with lots of friendly knowledgeable people  :D

·
Registered
880 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and I've recently neutered my male puppy and he is as social as ever.  I also had a neutered GSD as a child and he was very friendly with everyone.  I've never heard of this..  Sorry I can't help, but Jetta and Oscar send there greetings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know this is weird, especially with boxers!!  My mother-in-law has 2 boxers and we joke all the time that if someone broke into their house her dogs would lick them to death.  Zeus just hides behind me or my husband when someone new comes in.  It's really hard, but it doesn't stop us from taking him everywhere with us.  We are hoping he will grow out of it, but I'm getting worried....it's been over 6 months since having him fixed!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
First of all WELCOME!

Did he become this way IMMEDIATELY after he got home from the surgery?  Because if so maybe something happened at the vet's office.  Maybe he was scared before the surgery or something?  Someone else on here may have a better answer...   that is just a thought

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'm a new dog owner so not very good at this, but I was reading about socializing shy dogs and it said to have strangers give your dog a treat and pet them, and let the dog come up to them, not have a stranger approach the dog as it'll just make him more uncomfortable.  good luck with your baby I hope he gets better, on another note welcome to the forum and he is a very handsome boy  :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have tried the 'treat' thing.  Actually just last week, my husbands uncle tried to feed him chicken and he ran the other way with his tail tucked!!  Thanks for the ideas though!!!  And...yes, as far as we can remember, this happened right after the surgery.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I got Kiah when she was about 8.5 months old; she was afraid of some men,  not sure if it was their size or sound of their voice. At that time it also seemed that she was easily startled.   Now she is almost 19 months and she doesn't seem to be afraid of men as she was when she was younger.  I am not a behaviorist but for Kiah it was either just being in new places (fosters and then here) or a phase she was going through because of her age.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I think it is probably a coincidence that he acted this way around the time of the surgery- that or something strange happened to him at the vet's office.
No matter what caused it- it is very important to take him out and meet even more people.  Always carry treats with you, take him to the pet store and if a person looks interested in him (and they seem like they would be calm around him) ask them if they would like to give him a treat.  Try not to let him get surrounded by a hoard of people or kids though so he won't be as intimidated.  Ask them to crouch down with their body facing to the side (not head on to him) and have them look away when they offer the treat, let him come to them.  Using body language like this helps convey a non-threatening approach.
Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the ideas guys.  We are going to try the 'strangers giving him treat' idea.  We do take him everywhere with us (parents house, pet stores, park, work and even just around town--we live at Appalachian State University so there are alot of college students around.)  Hopefully something will work.  He LOVES other dogs, so maybe we can break him of this and he will love people too.   :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Well first off welcome!

My two females are the resident scaredy dogs here on the forum!! :) I rescued Savannah at the age of 2 and Reese we got as a playmate for her..hoping to bring her out of her shell. Savannah was very scared of everyone when she came home. Me, my b.f, my daughter, the mop, the door, dog food bowls, fly swatter, loud noises, quick movement, slow movement....everything. When we got Reese it was to help her, but it backfired on us. Reese was too young and impressionable that she became more like Savannah...so now i have two dogs scared of everyone now except a total of 5 people. We have had both for a year now, and i wish i could say things have changed. They have, but not dramatically. What we did to help them, is when someone comes over instead of letting them run and hide i would leash them and force them to acknowledge the person who is there. This has helped alot, i show them that whomever is ther to be nice...not to hurt. Slowly over the course of months they have become a little less scared. If you get them around children and other animals they are GREAT!! We recently adopted Samson, though and he has done wonders for the both of them. He is a year old and he LOVES everyone!! now that the girls have his courage there they are getting to be more social and become more friendly. I dont konw if i just rambeled through all this or if it helped any. I guess my biggest suggestion is dont let his fear take over, continue to put him in the situation that scares his so that he can see that all everyone wants to do is show a little love :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts