Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was taking the trash out while Cori and Cosmo played in the backyard. As I was coming back through the fence, Cori snuck behind my legs and got out of the yard!  8O So, I tried calling her name and telling her I had treats, but she proceed to run (full speed) through the alley and out in front of our house. We live in a little neighborhood that is close to a main street, but not ON the main street. Anyway, I got Jeremy to help me...I was freaking out cuz she wouldn't come. Finally, he got her to come over to him, but he didn't grab her! He thought she would just follow him into the house! Well, of course she didn't do that and instead, she ran towards the main road! This silly girl ran across a four lane busy road....and made it across unharmed! So, Jeremy and I are running after her, calling her name, trying to seduce her with treats. Meanwhile, she's just jumping along happily playing. Finally, one of our neighbors (who had seen us running after her) came over with a leash. Of course, Cori wanted to meet this person, so she went right up to her and she was able to hold on to her for us. All this time, Cosmo is still waiting in the backyard. When I finally bring Cori back, he just lays down at the fence door and gives me this look like "Why didn't I get to go play, too?" Then he jumped all over Cori like he hadn't seen her in a month!

These crazy dogs!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Oh I am SO glad you got your baby home safe and sound!! This is another story to add to my ammunition for DH tonight!! Poor pup was probably thinking "look Mom and Dad want to play!! Wow..Scary

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, she definitely just thought it was a good time. Meanwhile, my heart is racing and I freaking out. Plus, when we go her on the leash she walls along like no big deal. Gives me this look like..."Mom, I was just playing, what's the problem?"

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Aww, she didnt know any better...just wanted to have fun! Gesh but I know it was not fun for you...i would have been a mess...and even afterwards. Again, glad she is home safe and sound!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
So glad to hear Cori came out unharmed. It can happen so quickly... hence, why you were freaking out I'm sure. Good thing they both weren't out going crazy! That would have been a MESS!! I'm sooo blessed that Odin is so good with recall. We were actually out in the front today playing frisbee... our back yard is a complete MUD BATH. We're not near busy streets though...

There are great recall posts in the forum... you should look through them and do some with Cori... even Cosmo but obviously he doesn't really need it like Cori. I bet you were an emotional wreck... even though nothing serious happened. Really glad to hear she's okay... hopefully she won't give you another scare like that!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Something you can do for a dog that doesnt have recall or just forgot for some reason is to run away from him waving your arms like mad and screaming.  Makes him think there is something interesting in he other direction.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what Dan said, that was suggested to me when I took Samson to obedience training..If you chase them, they think it's a game, hence they will run even more..But I also know in the heat of the moment, a lot of times those things don't dawn on you...Glad it had a happy ending....

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would have been so frightened too, so glad that nothing happened.  Another thing you can do is work with a sit and wait command.  Kiah is getting better with come but does really well with sit and wait so I can walk up to her and put on her leash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts