Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We went to a friends place this weekend (Saturday) and she was attacked by a black lab, that had a good 50+ lbs on her. We came onto her property and the lab barreled towards her - I didn't know there was going to be a new dog there, or else I would have had her on a leash. He was stiff and she was very uneasy. before I could get them the lab lunged at her. The lab had to be pulled off of her (by his owner). If he hadn't been pulled away I think he would have caused major damage, he was out of control. It was scary.

He did this to my friends Husky, but she immediately flipped onto her back and he left her alone. If Lexi would have submitted to him things wouldn't have escalated and he would have left her alone, but she fought back.

Anyways, I put her on her leash right away and went and played with her on our own.

When we were playing I was petting her and noticed she was very swollen on her RT side as well and had a large lump on her, close to her RT armpit. It did not seem to hurt or bother her. I asked my friend to look at it, and commented how it must have been from the fight and the the lab owner asked me if I was sure her dog had caused it. I told her if Lexi had a hair out of place I would notice. She was not like this before we came. I was very frustrated and they knew it and left me alone.

She was shaken up, and uneasy around him after their encounter. They kept their dog away from us. Oh, and I found out after from my friend that this lab isn't very good with other dogs (it has a history of fighting with other dogs), but awesome with kids - would have been nice to know this ahead of time, I told her. The lab owner kept trying to snuggle up to Lexi and I had to - repeatedly - tell her to leave Lexi alone and that she will come to her when she is comfortable.

We stayed for a few hours and went home.

After 2 days it decreased in size, but didn't go away. I was getting worried, so I took her to the vet (yesterday, they were closed Monday). She said Lexi was lucky, it cold have been worse. She thinks it's a big blood blister. She was concerned it was an abscess caused by a puncture, but when fluid was drawn from it only blood came out and not puss - phew. They vet said she wasn't too concerned, I think she could tell that I was very worried.

I have to watch it and if it doesn't get any smaller over the next week she has to go back.

She is already anxious around new people. But, around dogs, she is her calm and relaxed self - I sure hope this doesn't change anything. I don't think it did because when we were at the vet this big golden retriever came bolting out of the exam room and literally sandwiched himself against her (I think he was scared) and she just licked him and tried to play.

I am just glad that she was/is ok. I think I was/am more 'damaged'. But, I am just worried about how I handled it, that's all.

Thanks for listening to me rant, sorry about the giant post.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
OMG! Katie! Glad she is ok and it didn't get too bad. Poor Baby! I would have lost my mind on that lab onwer.. You have alot more patience than me lol.

I can just imagine how scary that would have been. They get really loud and stuff; ugh glad that she didn't get hurt too bad. You should send the vet bill to the lab's owners. Its the least they can do. Bosley sends Lexi lots of kisses and boxer hugs!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG! Katie! Glad she is ok and it didn't get too bad. Poor Baby! I would have lost my mind on that lab onwer.. You have alot more patience than me lol.

I can just imagine how scary that would have been. They get really loud and stuff; ugh glad that she didn't get hurt too bad. You should send the vet bill to the lab's owners. Its the least they can do. Bosley sends Lexi lots of kisses and boxer hugs!

Thanks Val.

The lab owner new I wasn't happy, but honestly I was more concerned with how Lexi was then with the owner. I told her that they should have been leashed when they first met and that this is a dangerous situation for both dogs.

I just do what I can to be proactive, but I can't control every situation we walk into.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THank goodness she is okay! My anxiety level increased just reading about it. :cry_baby:

I just wanted to cry after I was so scared. I was just shaking and upset. She is my whole world, I couldn't believe I was watching her getting mauled by another dog. It didn't last overly long (thank god the other owner stepped in), but I don't know what would have happened if he hadn't been so close. I was too far away. :(

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Oh Katie!!! I can't even imagine! That must have been so scary, and then to see that she came away hurt too!! Poor little Lexi, I sure hope it doesn't affect how she reacts with other dogs now.

Daisy has always been skittish around new dogs until she gets to know them ever since she got tumbled by that chocolate lab who broke his lead to get to us when she was about 5 months old, and he just wanted to play.

I hope she's ok, and Momma - you need to take some deep breaths too, I think if it was me I'd be upset with the friend for not warning me there was going to be a new dog there in the first place.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Bless your guys hearts! Dog fights are so scary especially when they attack our babies! I'm glad it wasn't worse for Lexi or God forbid, one of you!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the support and kind words everyone!

The hubby and I went snowboarding for the day and brought to dogs to the kennel. I told the woman who runs the kennel (she is a certified animal behaviorist, amongst many other things, we are so lucky to know her) about the fight. She said she would keep a close eye on Lexi in the play group.

When we came to pick them up she said we have nothing to worry about with her, as far as she could tell Lexi was fine with all the new big dogs she met - she loved them all and wanted nothing to do but play with them. Woohoo!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that Katie!!! How is her neck looking, rather her side (I don't know why I thought it was her neck)?

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
That was scary! I would have beat on that black lab myself to get her off of Lexi! If the owner knew the dog was agressive, he/she should have leashed him knowing you were coming to visit. So happy that Lexi is going to be OK...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts