Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New member, but have been exploring this site for a couple years and especially the last couple of months as we have a new little brindle girl named Scout. The name comes from my wife's favorite character in the book "To kill a mockingbird", and from my interest in vintage Indian motorcycles.

I've learned from all the great advice and shared experiences on this site and I look forward to sharing some of the successes, and challenges we experience when training Scout.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

She's our 4th boxer. The first was a fawn we got as a puppy after we lost one of our 2 English Mastiffs. The Mastiff was down in the dumps after losing her sister, but the new female boxer puppy brought her back to life.

The second was a full brindle girl that found us when she was dumped at a local park when she was around 6 months old. She hadn't been feed or treated well, but turned into an amazing dog and companion.

Boxer #3 was a fawn girl that was an unplanned rescue while we were on vacation. Brought her home not knowing that 2 mature female boxers are not a good idea. Long story for another post.

Back to puppy Scout has been a reminder of the fun, joys, and challenges of a boxer puppy but enjoying it all!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Sounds like you shouldn't have many questions and should probably be giving advice since you have had 4 boxers now. lol

Also have heard two female boxers isn't the best recipe for success. I met someone in my local boxer rescue and she asked me if I could take on a female because I had a male. Unfortunately for certain reasons I could not do it, but she told me they never put females with females.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you shouldn't have many questions and should probably be giving advice since you have had 4 boxers now. lol

Also have heard two female boxers isn't the best recipe for success. I met someone in my local boxer rescue and she asked me if I could take on a female because I had a male. Unfortunately for certain reasons I could not do it, but she told me they never put females with females.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
With boxers there are always more questions!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Thanks!

She's our 4th boxer. The first was a fawn we got as a puppy after we lost one of our 2 English Mastiffs. The Mastiff was down in the dumps after losing her sister, but the new female boxer puppy brought her back to life.

The second was a full brindle girl that found us when she was dumped at a local park when she was around 6 months old. She hadn't been feed or treated well, but turned into an amazing dog and companion.

Boxer #3 was a fawn girl that was an unplanned rescue while we were on vacation. Brought her home not knowing that 2 mature female boxers are not a good idea. Long story for another post.

Back to puppy Scout has been a reminder of the fun, joys, and challenges of a boxer puppy but enjoying it all!
Well first sorry for your losses! That always sucks and yeah two female Boxers is generally not a good idea!

It can be made to work but most average Boxer owners are not prepared to deal?? Speaking for myself most Boxers owners tend to allow a lot of aww ... loose structure in the home?? And the crap rolls downhill from there!

I never did the two female thing but the loose structure in the home bit, I did with Struddell and my Band Dawg. Came back to bite in the butt, well hand when I added a GSD! Live and learn, Welcome aboard in anycase. :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi,
New member, but have been exploring this site for a couple years and especially the last couple of months as we have a new little brindle girl named Scout. The name comes from my wife's favorite character in the book "To kill a mockingbird", and from my interest in vintage Indian motorcycles.

I've learned from all the great advice and shared experiences on this site and I look forward to sharing some of the successes, and challenges we experience when training Scout.
Congrats! Start training her today. Put the work in now and you won't have alot of the problems that come when they are older.
Put the food bowl away for a while and hand feed. The food is a reward for a work (sitting, coming to you, touching a bowl, your hand... whatever you like). Great way to build the bond.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks to all for the comments and advice!
It's been a little more challenging because it has been so hot here. But we are enjoying her antics and the training!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome! she's adorable. I can't convince my husband to have two dogs at once so I haven't experienced the two female thing. It sounds like a good thing I haven't. I'm a longtime boxer owner as well and we are going through the puppy stages with our 4 month old white boxer girl Athena at the moment. <3 I'm looking to hear about your adventures :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome! She is adorable!

Sorry for your losses.

I am biased like you towards the brindle and reverse brindle boxers, although I'd take any color as long as it's a boxer.

Her coloring is similar to our puppy, Bandit. Please share pictures as you can.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

Things are going well with the training. She knows sit, down and stay pretty well. Also knows come and drop-it, but only when she wants to do it!

Working on leash training with a slip leash and standard collar, and she's getting better but a longs ways to go. Still young so I'm very happy with her progress.
Found a lot of great advice here on the site, so that's helped.

So far she's not as treat or praise motivated as our other our other boxers.

Can't believe how much she has grown in less than 3 weeks after we brought her home!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts