Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!! My first post :)
i have a 3 month-old female fawn boxer.  Recently, she has been scratching herself like theres no tomorrow.  We bathe her regularly, and haven't changed her diet.  She is starting to draw blood.  This is gonna sound kinda silly, but is there a puppy moisturizer???? lol or something i can feed her to help her scratch less.  She has no fleas, earmites, or ticks, and is up-to-date on shots.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Welcome, FoxyRoxy! :)

I think most people will tell you that this is probably a food-related allergy, even if you haven't switched.  What food is she on?  Usually ear scratching is one of the first things that happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She eats Hills vet-brand food.
and yes, the majority of scratch marks are on the top of her head and behind her ears.
She was treated for earmites a couple of weeks ago, and our vet says they're gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could it be from something, other than the dog food that she has eaten??? (ex. random table scraps, or anyhting she may have found on the ground - because she eats anything she can find.)

·
Registered
521 Posts
foxyroxy2007\";p=\"50412 said:
She eats Hills vet-brand food.
and yes, the majority of scratch marks are on the top of her head and behind her ears.
She was treated for earmites a couple of weeks ago, and our vet says they're gone.
A lot of people will attest that Hills is not a very good dog food.  Has a lot of filler stuff, like corn, which a lot of dogs are allergic to.  A lot of vets push it (any sciene diet-related food) because they get perks from selling it.  I would honestly try switching to something else.  If you've brought the dog to the vet and they're still saying there's no mites, etc., it is a nutritional issue.  

Here is a post about good foods to feed your boxer:

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=659

Also, here is a post about what grades food has recieved in terms of nutritional value:

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=2063
(It would fall under the category of science diet)

Honestly, there is so much I didn't know until finding this forum...I hope this helps.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Have you had an ear swab done to check for yeast in the years?

Yes food is usually always a culprit.  Also constant bathing is not too good for their skin.  It strips it of its natural oils which can cause dry skin.   A bath here and there using an gentle oatmeal shampoo is your best bet.  I recommend earthbath products.  www.earthbath.com

What are you washing her with?  That could too be a culprit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies so far!!

I have a friend in the vet tech program at Queens University, and he also suggested yeast. and possibly ringworm...

"ok... well my first guess would be a possible fungal infection something like ringworm (which is a fungus not a worm) just because the wounds seem fairly localized and the fact that she started in one spot and it might have spread to her head later because she's been using back legs to scratch it all.."
"if its food allergy and linked to something that she recently ate in small quanntities it should clear up, or should have already.. but because it's lasted so long Id say it would either have to be her staple food or like I said fungal infection...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would just take her in to swab the ear for yeast.  Left untreated can cause more damage than to get her on an ear drop like ottomax or something like that.

Yeast in the ears can also be a sign of a food allergy as well.  If it clears it up and she is still itching, then its time to switch foods to something different than what you are feeding.  Grains are usually the bad ingredients so switch to something maybe with just brown rice and oats. etc.   Trying to narrow the point of a food alergy is hard but if you stick with it, keep rotating the diet every month or so, you will hopefully find it.

Also bathe only in a dog brand shampoo (dogs have different Ph levels than humans) and dont bathe too often - use wipes if need be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts