Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been noticing that Lola scratches herself constantly.  I've checked her for fleas and ticks and have found nothing.  It's getting to the point where she's making herself bleed.  I know she has allergies, and I give her a benadrly every few days, but is there anything else that I can do?  Any kind of shampoo or lotion.  I feel so bad.   She scratched her neck so hard this morning it started bleeding.  And her ears always have marks on them from bleeding, then scabbing.  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Try bathing her with "Earth Bath Oatmeal Shampoo".

I am the queen of the itchies!!  Hanna has horrible alergies.   First thing is to rule out food alergy. Are you giving her anything with corn?  Anything out of the ordinary etc?     Second would be seasonal alergy.

With seasonal we have been to the vet and put Hanna on a mild steroid due to the fact she will break out in welts.   That and a topical steroid helped us to get thru the summer.

I would try using liquid witch hazel on the spots where she is itching.   See if that helps.   If she is bleeding, then make sure her nails are trimmed and not cutting the skin.  Also maybe add in some fish oils to her diet to make her skin less dry.

If its nothing that you can help or stop, then take her to the vet to get a solid diagnosis.  Good Luck, its an ongoing thing for me esp around here with the allergies!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
HannaBanna had great advice.  In addition to that make sure to check her ears that she has not picked up Earmites causing her to scratch at her head/ear and neck....Also, if you use a flea product on her such as Frontline or Advantixx they can also cause scratching when first applied, but this should go away within 48 hours.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
No advice, you already got some great ideas...Just sending some good vibes to the lovely Lola that she feels better  :) Samson & Angel send boxer kisses..Poor girl...

·
Registered
245 Posts
What are you feeding her? Like Hanna said, corn is an ingredient known to cause allergies in many dogs. Unfortunately, most store brand foods have corn as the first ingredient. Check the label and consider switching her to a better food if this is the case. Blue Buffalo is a good one as well as Nutro Ultra. They are expensive but you dont have to feed as much.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought Lola some Oatmeal Shampoo last night that I'll try!  I'm currently feeding her Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy.....I know not a lot of people like it, but I tried several other brands including Blue Buffalo and she just wouldn't eat them or she got sick, Eukanuba was the first one she liked and digested well.  I do feel her food may have something to do with it, since it does have corn in it.  I wanted to try Canidae but PetSmart doesn't carry it.  And the woman at PetSmart last night said she has a feeling that if Lola didn't like Blue Buffalo she's not going to like Canidae.  So she gave me free samples of Nutro Natural Lamb & Rice and some other type of Nutro Natural.  So I'll have to try those and see what happens!!  Anything to get her to stop scratching so bad.
Thanks for all the tips!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts