Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so we have established that it is ok to give a boxer sardines (which i plan on trying with savannah today!) what about any other seafood? I personally cant stand the stuf, but both my daughter and my bf love it. I usually grill or pan fry tilapia (sp?) or some other fish and cook chicken for myself. If i put no seasonings/butter ect on it, would it be ok to give it to them. We dont give table scraps, but if i can cook and extra fish and split it between the girls i would like to, but only if it is healthy or ok. Keep in mind this wouldnt be often, maybe once every couple months.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Andrea, that sounds like a great idea I love fish.  I usually broil mine (orange rufhy sp?) with lemon and butter but could leave that off if it is ok to give fish to Kiah.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i could broil...never thought about it. i am pretty much a beginner when it comes to cooking fish. Out of 25 yrs i have been alive this year was the first year i ever cooked seafood. My sister told my daughter that tilapia wish chicken so she would try it, turns out she loved it so now i have to cook it for her. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fish is definately OK for the furry children.  Many dog foods have fish as their main protein source since it can be much less allergenic that chicken or beef.  

We feed Wellsness' Fish and Sweet Potatoe and my kids go NUTS over it.......breath smells awefull though (especially when you moisten the food with warm water for feeding!!)

Fish is great for them and contains alot of beneficial vitamins for them as well!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh yea, you will have some very happy babies if you start feeding fish Andrea...Samson adores it , Angel didn't do well with the Crawfish, so I am cautious, but a white fish would be great without spices....I absolutely love Roughy!!! I would be hard pressed sharing that with the kiddos...Oh yes, Samson loves fried catfish as well as shrimp, oh heck, he just loves food!! Lol...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
southerngirls\";p=\"42109 said:
i could broil...never thought about it. i am pretty much a beginner when it comes to cooking fish. Out of 25 yrs i have been alive this year was the first year i ever cooked seafood. My sister told my daughter that tilapia wish chicken so she would try it, turns out she loved it so now i have to cook it for her. :)
Try Orange Roughy too, it is not a real fishy tasting fish and so good broiled.  I know what we are having tonight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"42114 said:
....... oh heck, he just loves food!! Lol...
You described our VEGAS to a tee!!!  He is our furry garbage disposal...not that we give him garbage.....anyways, you know what I mean!!   :wink:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I usually grill or pan fry tilapia (sp?) or some other fish and cook chicken for myself. If i put no seasonings/butter ect on it, would it be ok to give it to them. We dont give table scraps, but if i can cook and extra fish and split it between the girls i would like to, but only if it is healthy or ok. Keep in mind this wouldnt be often, maybe once every couple months
It would be fine however by frying you are adding in grease which can cause runny poos.   Also you have to be VERY careful with cooked fish bones.  Even a little sliver can pose some damage or tears to organs.  If you grill it plain, and go thru piece by piece and make sure there are no bones, I really dont see the issue.

-however -

If you feed fish raw, you do not have to worry about the bones since raw bones are flexable and digestable.   If you are going to and want to add in fish to the diet of your dog the best are -

Here is some info on feeding raw fish to dogs - what kinds etc.

http://www.rawlearning.com/fish.html

I do use canned Makrel and Sardines due to the fact that they are high in omega 3 and antioxidants.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Sardines and Makrel are the easiest think to feed.  

Get them packed in water, they have no heads.   Usually 6 little guys or three big.   I split a can of them between the two dogs.   Break it up in their kibble, dash of garlic, some echinacea drops and yum-a-roo.  They go freaking nuts!!

Trust me you get over things fast, while other still freak you out!!!  I have no issues with beef heart anymore, actually find it kinda cool, but liver, wont touch it with a stick!!  ha ha ha!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Honeyec\";p=\"42143 said:
[quote="JessiesMom\";p=\"42133":3ga727ek]I feel sick just thinking about sardines
I feel sick thinking of stinky fish-breath kisses![/quote:3ga727ek]

OH MAN!!!

youre evil !!  >:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sardines and mackeral are the best choices.  They are both small fish that grow fast.  Bones aren't an issue and they are handled and packed following human food safety guidelines.  

It's the large fish that grow slow (or are found in unhealthy environments) that have some of the health concerns and eating restrictions.

http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=healthalerts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Maddie goes nuts for Sardines! :drool: =P~  I give her the ones packed in olive oil. They seem to be a lot less smelly than the ones packed in water.  Plus I think the olive oil really makes her coat silky soft. The ones I use are also deheaded and deboned already. She gets those babies about three times a week. Just pop open a can and mix with her kibble....Yummy!  :p

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
MMM Sardines on Ritz..... MMMMMMM   (*)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Orange Roughy is one of the fish to avoid eating too often (so unhappy about that), thanks Nexu.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts