Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if any of your dogs suffered with Seasonal Flank Alopecia.

Zulu was diagnosed with this after having a biopsy done at the vets. This was the first year he had it.
The hair has nearly all grown back now but just wanted to ask, is it worse the first year or does the pattern of baldness each year stay the same?
And also will it be every year or is there an age where it stops?  :?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Oh what a cute pic!  

My Mateo had it this year for the first time.  I don't know if he will get it again next year.  I read they might or might not so I guess we'll see.

Nano

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ekim had it when he was younger, but I guess he outgrew it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is a wait and see thing....Generally if it comes back again another year it is not as bad as the first....sometimes it is a one time thing and sometimes they will have it a few times and then never again.....Hopefully it is a one time thing and you wont see it again :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm pretty sure Chloe has it. She developed a bald patch last year around the end of Feb and again the same time this year. I started giving her Melatonin  (thanks Sharon!) and the hair has already started to grow back in.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also read that they get it between the ages of 4 and 8 but didnt know if there was any truth in that. :doh:

They say Boxers are prone to it along with a few other breeds. I was always soooo proud of Zulu's coat, shiny and so soft and then he got that, i was devastated. :((  

Went for all the tests and things just to make sure it was Alopecia and none of the nasties caus you cant be too careful. Guess we'll have to wait and see if it comes back again next winter :-w

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Keep an eye on it and yes the Melatonin is a great thing to add for seasonal flank.....I am glad it is working well for Chloe...I had forgot to check up on that.... :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My sweet female boxer Aggie has alopecia. I see some of you have given your boxer melatonin who have this condition. What is the dosage? Aggie weighs 75 pounds. My vet wants me to spend over $400.00 on more testing when another vet said she had alopecia. Can someone out there recommend help?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog is believed to have seasonal flank alopecia and is taking melatonin. How long has it taken your dogs to start regrowing hair after starting melatonin.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
As I understand it the hair loss and regrowth depends on the dog there is no set rule

Some veterinarians recommend melatonin as a treatment for seasonal alopecia. Melatonin is a naturally-occurring biochemical used by the body to regulate circadian rhythms. Melatonin can shorten the hair loss episode and prevent recurrence, according to the District of Columbia Academy of Veterinary Medicine, which reports a 50 to 75 percent positive response rate to melatonin treatment. Melatonin, in oral form or injections, is given until your animal begins to grow healthy hair. Melatonin also is used to prevent or treat future occurrences of the condition. Some veterinarians prescribe oral melatonin and increased sunlight exposure to treat seasonal alopecia. Animals receiving treatment have varying degrees of success at growing new hair.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Oh man, the vet diagnosed Mya's hair loss as an allergic reaction to fleas. She has two, one on each of her sides. (One is shaped like a Heart - awwwwww)

Anyway, the skin underneath is getting darker. - Does that mean that its "Alcopecia?'

Well, in any case, I started giving her Melatonin a few weeks back - I could see hair growth but seriosuly, its like putting Rogaine on someone bald and saying -----ooooooooo I can see little hair growing lol I am crossing my fingers that she grows hair.

While the 'heart' shaped is probably Mya's gesture of saying - 'Daddy it was not my fault' It still would be nice if hair grows back :clap:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Kosmo had some hair loss on both his sides this winter. Our vet said it was seasonal alcopecia and that with spring/summer coming the sunlight would be the best thing for it. He said no meds or anything else just sun light.
Kosmo has always had a beautiful shiney almost wet looking coat. As soon as the weather broke and there was more daylight his fur grew right back in and he looks beautiful again so I am a believer in the sunlight cure if it truely seasonal alcopecia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts