Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harry, my boxer is 5 years old. An amazing temperament and loves all other dogs. I'm toying with the idea of adding a second to the family. The breeder (or rather the person who shows boxers has just mated Harry's sister and may be due puppies, so it would be Harry's niece or nephew) A few questions…

1. Does it matter whether they are male or female? I've only ever had male boxers and would like to continue that if possible.
2. The other question, and this is probably an odd one, but is it easy to walk 2 dogs! I've only ever had 1 dog at a time and that's actually my main cause for concern that it will be tricky to walk them together. We currently use an extendable lead with Harry.

Any other thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank-you.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have pretty much always have had 2 Boxers at a time. It all depends on you and your lifestyle whether this will work for you. I walk my 2 together everyday most of where I walk they have to be leashed we work out our own system since I’m usually trail walking my male walks in front of me and my female is walking behind so it works well for me. The expanding leash is not going to work with two dogs and if you tried letting the older dog out on that leash while trying to train the puppy it’s just going to excite the puppy and teach it to be constantly pulling so for sure that long leash will have to go. The older dog can be useful in teaching the puppy how to behave in public and give the puppy confidence. I have always had a male/female pairing and have never had a problem with fighting or anything else but it’s important both dogs know that you are In charge, I have heard of people keeping two neutered males successfully but I have never tried that. The pluses of two Boxers is they do have a lot of fun together, but the minus comes when the Vet bills come rolling in and general costs. If you are going to have two dogs it’s just my personal opinion having two of the same breed is better.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Train the puppy how to walk correctly on a leash before you try to take them together by yourself. Or have one person walk one dog and another person walk the other.

I got a pup about a year ago and did not walk the pup with my older dog for a few months. But im a little different as I don't use walks as exercise. I use it as training. I mean the side effect is exercise but the main objective is training and reinforcing training.

As far as the sex of the pup, don't think it would be an issue if you got a male or female. Its female/female you have to be very careful with when it comes to boxers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts