Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around the site for postings on this but couldn't find any.  I've asked my vet about second hand smoke and dogs back when i first got Gaby, and she said that it was extremely bad for dogs to breathe and can cause asthma and other related breathing diseases.  I have nothing against smokers but i think smoking should be done outside...Unfortunately, I'm currently living with my parents who refuse to smoke outside or even confine it to one area in the house....one smokes 2.5 packs a day and the other a half pack, so this makes for a very smoky environment to be living in....To me there is nothing more important than the health and well being of my boxer...she's my best friend and deserves the best.  So what I did a couple of days after I got her is I completely sealed of my room and bought and air purifier so we could have clean air to breathe....it works great!
The only problem is that I'm in here ALL the time except when I take Gaby for walks and outside for potty. You would think that they would have considered my opinion since my dad had a heart attack and a triple bypass about 7 years ago, but I guess not.  It would be interesting to get some of your opinions and suggestion on this topic.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't have any evidence, but lungs are lungs.  I would assume cigarette smoke is just as bad on dogs as it is on humans.  I personally agree.  I have never smoked in my life, but I come from a family of smokers.  I have asthma very bad so any type of smoke suffocates me.

G

·
0 Posts
all I can say is...it's their house...they are doing a favor letting you live there...while you are under their roof...you gotta live by their rules..that's what my mom always said..I know second hand smoke is bad for every living creature...so it's good you are able to baricade yourself and Gaby away...but it sounds like until you can be on your own it's something you will have to deal with..I took a dogage test and one of the quesitons was about smoking..and they said if the dog is around smoke it can make them more unhealthy...i would assume to a simlar extent to what you would get...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I think the same think the same thing. Lungs are lungs... I would think it's bad for anyone with a set of lungs. Some don't consider others feelings or health. Maybe they feel... you know how they are and what they do in THEIR house and you don't get a say. I don't know... I'm sorry they won't work with you. I smoked when I had a stressful job a couple of yrs back... then I was pregnant with Sarah and said... alright... NO MORE and haven't since. My brother has smoked since he was like 12 yrs old (now 30) and he just barely started smoking in his own home not to long ago but if ever I stay with him... he respects my wishes to smokes outside because I don't want it around my children (though that's only for a few days).

Sorry... didn't mean to add in my own story. Just wish they'd respect your wishes. Hopefully you don't have to be there too long.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yep, I would say it's bad for the dog like people. And it is their house. Have no idea your age or situation, but if it bothers you, move out. As my dad wouls say, MY house MY rules!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There are many pets with cancer and some of them have owners who smoke......there is evidence that second-hand smoke does cause cancer in pets.

Dr. Carolynn MacAllister, one of their veterinarians at OK State, reported "Second-hand smoke has been associated with oral cancer and lymphoma in cats, lung and nasal cancer in dogs."
She reported on a study by Tuft College of Veterinary Medicine that a strong correlation between second-hand smoke and certain forms of cancer in cats. The number of cats with mouth cancer......was higher when they lived in smoking Homes, the reason listed is that cats are so susceptible to second-hand smoke because of their grooming habits. Cats constantly lick themselves while grooming, therefore they lick up the cancer-causing carcinogens that accumulate on their fur.

Research also shows that cats exposed to cigarette smoke are twice as likely to develop lymphoma, which is cancer of the lymph nodes, than cats that do not live in a smoking home.

Colorado State University did a study that showed there is a higher incidence of tumours of the respiratory system in dogs living in a home with second-hand smoke. Longer-nosed dogs (Collie) were more prone to cancer in the nose, whereas shorter-nosed dogs (boxer, boston, Pug) showed a higher incidence of lung cancer.

So yes lungs are lungs and just do the best you can while you are there the air purification is a great alternative in your situation.....

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to all who replied you all make good points....I will tell you a little more about the situation; my parents and I run a family business from the house, and of course I would like to move out on my own asap, but the business isn't making enough money yet for me to draw a wage and be on my own....I do understand that it is there house and there rules, however I am contributing a big part of the financial intake of the home, so you would think that they could accommodate me somewhat by smoking outdoors or at least confine it to a certain area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts