Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bowser is almost 6 mos. old.  I have a 4 yr. old Lab who plays with him some, especially outside.  BUT..... whenever I can't play with him, he doesn't know what to do with himself.  I can't walk him because he won't walk well on the leash, plus, I am in a wheelchair from a car accident.  I can never get my husband to take him for a walk, so all I can do is to let him out in the yard.  It's a very large fenced in yard, so he has plenty of room to run and play, but if the other dog gets tired of playing, he gets destructive.  He digs deep holes, he eats mulch, he dug up all the mulch around my cherry tree, He eats dirt and..............I think he eats the other dogs poo  (YUK)!!!!  He ripped the fabric skirt off one of my chairs, he destroys any decorative objects he can get to.  I can't play with him all the time, and I hate to think I have to crate him again.  Are Boxers such high energy dogs that they get so bored all the time?  If so, do they grow out of it?  Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
tess is an energizer bunny, she can play all day long and the second you think she is done and lays down, with in a min she is all recharged and ready to go again, luckily my chihuahua is infatuated with her and is also a really high strung dog, and they play all day long, it is the funniest hing that you will ever see, dozer thinks that he is a boxer even though his back comes up to her ankle

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Mmmmm Boxers. :lol:

Zulu had 4 dogs to play with when we lived in South Africa and he ate everything, dug everywhere, and was like a whirlwind of destruction untill he was about 2 and then he calmed down a bit.
Hes still mental and has the energy of a gummy bear on gummy juice, but he isnt destructive anymore, thankgod. 8)

If you have a huge yard, have you tried throwing a frisbee, that makes Zulu so tired and its a game he loves. After about 30 mins of frisbee he collapses in a heap of snorts for about an hour! :lol:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You have a working dog and he needs to work he needs mental stimulation.  That would mean obedience training.  You need to do two 15 minute sessions a day.  Sit, stay, heel, things like that are "work" for a dog. Hook a 6 foot leather leash on him and keep him by your side.  You can modify to what works for you in the wheelchair and hopefully you can get the hubby to help you out.  A good book is Mother Knows Best by Carole Benjamin. You could give him a nice game of fetch afterwards as a reward if he enjoys that.  I can wear my dogs out physically but if I don't challenge their minds and give them "work" they get bored and tear up things.

Nano

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
You might want to try a doggie daycare (if there is a good one in your area) 2 or 3 days a week, it is great for socialization and wears the pups out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thank you all for your suggestions!  I will try them and see what works best.  That is a good ides to keep him on a leash by my side, because that will get him more used to being on a leash (doesn't walk well on leash).  He's pretty good at commands like "sit" and "paw" but thats really all he knows now.  So I will try to work with him on those things too.  If all else fails, maybe I can try to find a doggie day care in my area that will knock him out for a while!  Thanks!  Will let you know! :thumbup:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Add a couple more commands to his repotoire....I like "wait" and "leave it....I generally do a couple 5 mins sessions with mine every day just as reminders :) Daycare is great, just check out the pet to care giver ratio, you don't want it to be too much

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Those are all good suggestions.  Boxers really do need exercise and unfortunately they won't always do it the way you want left to their own devices in the yard.  Maybe he will fetch outside?  Felix will only fetch inside, but even that is better than nothing.
Also the mental stimulation of obedience training will tire him out too.  this will also help when you go back to giving him walks after you recover.
Any dog parks in your area?  I like to take Felix every other day or so- he gets to full out run and play with the other dogs offleash, and makes him much more tired than just taking walks.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
PetCo or Petsmart have puppy beginner obedience classes.  Not the best in the world, but you get the basics in and the pups love it! :D

·
Registered
913 Posts
When Ashley gets that "bored" expression ( even though ALL I do is play with the little goof.) I have come up with a game plan for her because the nature of the Boxer as stated above is a "working dog"..I decided I would give her a "job"...We have 2 cats..one that INSISTS on running outside if you leave the back door open, so I have told Ashley ( and showed her too ) how to be the "official CAT Wrangler"..
She KNOWS if our Calico makes a dash for the out side..she will actually herd her back in..of course to tons of praise. So now when I get that I'm bored look..I just open the back door, and the rodeo begins!! Its funny..she will hide next to the house ..just waiting for the cat to pop her head out..the run full tilt at her..and get her back inside..they are rather cute together..I guess interactive toys ( ie: the poor cat ) are a good thing :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ashleysmom, that is hilarious! I love it! Kaci has wrangled my Dad's dog in before, they have an older poodle who can't hear anymore and Kaci will go out and find Shadow and bring him back in. Who'd-a-thunk boxers could be herders. :lol:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow, way to go Ashley!! That is great and what a good idea as well....The new herding dog is............A Boxer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts