Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Cactus has his third seizure.  It has been almost three months since his last seizures, both of which we less than a week apart.  I am filled with mixed emotions.  
Number one I am glad that it has taken this long for him to have another one.
Number two I am mad that he had another one- I was hoping it was some fluke thing!!!  
Number three I am concerned because I do not know what to do.  School started again for me so money is alot more restricted than it was a few months ago.  
Do any of you use a pet insurance company?  If so, I would appreciate any information.  I of course will be doing research to see which company will be a good fit for our situation.  
The only good thing was that when I got him out of his kennel as the seizure was ending, he was so happy to see me- he was extra wiggly and just overall super thrilled that he woke up and I was holding him.  So that was reassuring that he came out in a great mood!  I am thinking the seizure is where you don't remember any of what just happened- does any one else have an opinion or something factual about that?

I will read every response but as I said I am in school so I will write when I can~
~Anne

·
Registered
74 Posts
Anne I have looked into pet insurance quite a bit and found a ton of info. there seem to be 2 types. One type is the kind that you can use any vet and you pay and end up getting getting about 80% back after sending in the forms these tend to be the least expensive. The 2nd type uses vets that are in the network and tend to be 2 to 3 times as much as the first and again they pay out about 80% of the bill. The one that I like the most was this comp. they had the best rates and good overall coverage.
http://www.petinsurance.com/ .
This company was also recomended by another member. I hope that you are able to get the seizurs under control.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm so sorry Cactus is having seizures again.  :cry:  I hate these damn things.  :x  You are right, Cactus doesn't remember a thing about what he just went through. They are horrible to watch. Have you kept a log or notices any similarities with the last ones? Has he gotten vaccinations? Flea Control or Heartworm?
I know how draining it can be financially, but you really should get him to the vet. They can do a blood test and get him on phenobarbitol, at least to control the seizures. Every seizure he has is probably going to be worse than the previous one, and it really isn't good for the brain. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but maybe the vet can work with you and get you on a payment plan until you figure out what is going on with Cactus.  Here is a link I found that explains everything about seizures. I hope it helps. I am also going to send out ((((positive and healing vibes)))) to Cactus. Get better boy!

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/epilepsy.html

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice on the insurance.  I appreciate it.  

I have had him completely vaccinated as we ruled out infectious diseases after the first two seiszures.  Dr. Temple did say keep a log of when, what time, how long, and recovery time.  It did seem to take a while for him to come out of this one.  I know how important it is to get him on medicine.  I think all I can do at this point is pray on how am I going to get this all worked out both financially and emotionally.  I will talk with the dr and see what can be done.  

What would the blood test show?  He had one after his first seizure which confirmed that it was a seizure- some how they could tell by something that was left over in his blood afterwards.  Do levels of whatever that is go up with each seizure?  

On a good note though, Cactus and I had an amazing time playing "hoof" tonight when  I got home.  He has those pig hooves and he always tosses them around, chases after them as they scoot on the wood floors, and "talks" to them when they get stuck under the couches.  I joined in, throwing it for him, slapping my hands on the ground and tickling him.  It was so fun.  

I will keep you all posted.
~Anne

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Anne, I am so sorry to hear that Cactus had another seizure. Definitely I can understand your anger, relief and concern.. The topic came up on another site that I use about health insurance & the gist of it is, that most things will be denied, esp in Cactus' case as it's a pre-existing condition...This is an article on how to choose pet insurance that was given to me & it's got a lot of good information in it..
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... rance.aspx

PM me if you have any questions, ok? Give that sweet Cactus a big hug and kiss for me and you too!!!! Keeping you in my thoughts & sending some positive healing vibes to Cactus....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts