Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,  
I am currently in the "research" phase of dog ownership.  I plan to be owned by a boxer around Fall of 2007.  I'm reading all kinds of books, etc... to prepare me for this but I'm really getting nervous about selecting the puppy.  Any tips from you experienced boxer owners would be greatly appreciated.  What should I look for? What to avoid? etc... Not sure if it matters, but I would prefer a female.  Also, are females more dog agressive with other female dogs?  Can this be avoided?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Normaly Boxers are not agressive than it aslo depends on how they are brought up, If you take them to training classes or parks it helps them to socialize, yes normaly females are more dominant on males if you r going to get 2 female boxers it is better if they'll be brought up together, Just do not leave food or bones around the house if you are not there.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, we all are a wee bit prejudiced here, but I've had 4 boxers and will never have anything else. Even converted hubby...Research is good, also if you can, start locating REPUTABLE breeders, if you want a puppy. If not, look for a boxer rescue in your area, they have fabulous boxers that have been removed from their homes or were strays. They make awesome pets, I've had 2 rescue dogs.

A reputable breeder will have run complete health checks on both the bitch and stud. They should offer a health guarantee on a pup and also a limited registration( no breeder of your pup, unless it's agreed by owner)...

Male versus female is a presonal preference. The female will be a bit smaller, but don't be fooled, these girls have some strength...Lol..They all have different personalities, so I hate to generalize. A male will bond more with a female human and a female will bond more with male human, but that isn't in stone either..Nothing is...

Try to (if you ohaven't already), watch boxers interact, play and get involved if you can. They aren't for everyone. They need to be with their peeps, they are very social, but need exercise..Walks are one of the best ways I bonded with mine and when you have 2 they entertain each other....Training classes are a must with boxers...They need it...

Hope this is some help and good luck. Feel free to ask any questions if you need any more help

·
Registered
74 Posts
As far as picking a pup a few things you can look for I read this one somewhere, in a boxer book. I also read everything I could get my hands on before get a boxer. When looking at there face hold there ears back there face should look like a chubby bunny. Lol Soloman shure did when we did this.The other thing I like to watch them play together if I can a few times over the course of a few days before picking on just to see how they interact with one another.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am very much a non-expert but we got our puppy less than a year ago so there are some lessons that I learned that I think are important.

These are some random nuggets of information I picked up and heard during our search:

-- make sure you see the parents and observe them to the extent possible.  It is pretty much a deal breaker if they do not let you see both the mom and dad.
-- the more picky a breeder the better.  If they are asking a lot of questions about you that indicates that they know what they are doing and care.  I had more of the opposite experience.  We ended up with a great dog but she had health problems.  In retrospect the breeders were a bit shady but we fell in love with the puppy so we were a bit naive at the time.
-- this may be incorrect but my understanding that the top of a boxer puppy's head should have kind of a point to it.  
-- ask about the parents' history.  in particular our dog had generalized mange and it ended up costing quite a bit of money.  presumably this was handed down from her mother.  I have heard other stories about boxers and mange as well.  If the mom had it that does not mean that the puppies will have it for sure but it would be nice to know to look out for it in the first few months when their immune systems are still developing.

In my opinion you are making the right choice.  To me boxers are the best dogs.  But be prepared.  They are very active physically and mentally.  The best way I have found to satisfy their curiousity and energy levels is just a simple daily walk.  That way they get exercise and get the stimulation of seeing other dogs, people, squirrels, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info...We are only going to be gettin one boxer (for now).  My concern with getting a female is that my family has female mixed breeds and I didn't know how well a female boxer will get along with the other girls in the family.

So, my understanding is that as long as we socialize her well as a puppy with other female and male dogs, she should come around?

What should I look for when choosing a puppy with regards to aggressive vs. passive personality?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Are the other females spayed? Another Alpha female? Anytime you introduce a new pet, you should do it slowly and always supervised. Samson, my senior at 10 is very Alpha and Angel is giving him fits, but a lot of it is cos he is so set in his ways, but I keep a very close eye on them.

Socialization is good, but not all dogs do well with a pack as I found out with Samson. I don't say this to scare you off, as raising a puppy is a wee bit different than taking on a senior like I did....Just more for you to think about.....

Passive/aggresive issues you can see to some degree when the pups are still with their mother and your breeder will know them inside and out...Beware the pup that cowers behind things and shows no curiosity, that could end up being a very shy dog...This isn't my strong area, so hopefully someone else can give you a bit more advice than me....

I do have to say, you are asking all the right questions, which is much more than many people do before getting a boxer. Sadly that is why so many of them end up in shelters....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Socialize your puppy as much as possible while he/she is young.  The other females may not be too fond of your puppy regardless of whether it is a male or female.  We have a one year old.  She does great around other young big dogs that like to wrestle and roll around.   However, my parents have an older female dachsund and that dog pretty much hates maggie (our boxer).  

Most puppies tend to learn their place after getting growled at and snipped at.  But maggie is oblivious to all of these signals and just seems to think it is part of a game.  My cousin's male boxer is the same way.  My take is that boxers do not always do well with other breeds because of that.  It is not because they are mean spirited, they just play very rough and do not seem to accept being dominated by another dog.

The bottom line is that introducing your puppy, female or not, to the other dogs will help prevent aggression in your puppy and will teach it how to act to a degree.  But expect the other dogs to get a little testy when your puppy is bouncing around on them.

Of course all this will change once the dog gets older.  But boxers are very energetic for a few years (they are considered adolescents until they are 3!).

Do not let this worry you.  it is all manageable.  You just have to keep an eye on them when they play.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Be sure to get one from a breeder that health tests their breeding stock.  Heart, hips and thyroid are the major things to test for.  I haven't had any problems with hips during the 26 years I have owned boxers but the other two have been problems.  I have had 3 dogs with each of the other two problems.  It is no guarantee, but you have a better chance of avoiding these inherant problems.  You will probably get put on a wait list for a pup so search now and get ready.  If not, please adopt from boxer rescure.

Good luck with finding a new boxer.  They are wonderful, courageous dogs.

Nano

1 - 10 of 10 Posts